Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Exhaust Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Mods

Hi everyone, new here but I've been scouring the forums for months since I bought my 2014 Q5 2.0t back in October and have seen a lot of interesting posts.

I was interested in making my Q5 just a bit louder and want to know if anyone else has done any mods to their 2.0 and what they were? I've spent time on the internet and found AWE exhaust systems. I enjoy the sound but they're quite steep on price however. Any other recommendations? I'm open to DIY instead of buying a catback system if needed.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2019, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mate, I've a SQ5+ tdi and I struggle for a real exhaust sound. So I'm having to use the milltek sound control to play around with the volume.
At the moment I'm thinking of a supersprint system so you could have a look at those, bit pricey or I'd recommend this if you are on a budget and that is if you know a good exhaust guy, get one made.
But it depends on how much noise you want and everyone will have a different opinion on this.

YouTube have some decent videos of back box removal on certain models. But start with the rear boxes and see how you go from there.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LazyPanda
Mate, I've a SQ5+ tdi and I struggle for a real exhaust sound. So I'm having to use the milltek sound control to play around with the volume.
At the moment I'm thinking of a supersprint system so you could have a look at those, bit pricey or I'd recommend this if you are on a budget and that is if you know a good exhaust guy, get one made.
But it depends on how much noise you want and everyone will have a different opinion on this.

YouTube have some decent videos of back box removal on certain models. But start with the rear boxes and see how you go from there.
I wish we had SQ5 TDIs in the states
Old 06-29-2019, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

I was thinking in the past of doing either of the 2 following mods, not for the sound but for the looks. But always the original retrofit is better. Anyhow all rock.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Tips were originally that chrome look until i sprayed them with high temperature matte black stove paint.

So much better looking!

If it's purely for aesthetic purposes, then get one made with your own tail tips.
You could pick up a set of replica tips for next to nothing then it's just a case of getting someone to fit it all together.
Your bottom 2 pics with the actuators is what's on my car.

Just cut the old tips and fit the new ones and 'job done!'

I love the tdi version loads of torque. Only thing I don't like is the lack of exhaust choices.

Last edited by LazyPanda; 07-01-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

LazyPanda that TDI must be a beast to take for a rip on your gnarly N.Irish roads.How much are you paying for diesel these days ?
Old 06-29-2019, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
LazyPanda that TDI must be a beast to take for a rip on your gnarly N.Irish roads.How much are you paying for diesel these days ?
MurrayA4, at time of writing this post we're averaging around 123.9 per litre that's GBP if you're not in the UK 🤣
. Frickin' RIP off!!!

The torque is awesome 🤩 had remap done not long after collecting it from the dealer and what was originally 340hp standard is now just shy of 400hp with over 700nm torque. Not much grunt from the exhaust hence my getting the milltek sound booster, still thinking about replacing the resonator with straight pipe 🤔
The following users liked this post:
uncleiggy (06-30-2019)