Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 10:07 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

MMI Display Refurbish

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeydust
Well, seeing this thread resurface prompted me to finally go ahead and take care of my scratched up screen on my 2011 Q5 (mine looked twice as bad as scottndsky's in the post #7). I bought some ScratchX and followed the instructions here to remove my MMI (I used a few guitar picks and some other items from an ipad repair kit to help me get the unit out) and the grey metal outer case around the LCD (that came off pretty easy). I couldn't find an ipad screen protector that looked good at Walmart so I decided to go without. The entire procedure took about 30-45 minutes.

Wish I had done this months ago when I scratched it up (think I was cleaning my dash with some cleaner and paper towel and saw a spot on my MMI and used that on there...kept getting worse and worse as I continued). The screen looks perfect to me. I drove around in the bright sun and didn't see any reason why I would want to try putting any sort of screen protector over it as it looked perfect as-is and I really didn't want to have to be careful due to have some sort of coating/cover on the LCD. I scrubbed pretty good with the ScratchX with a paper towel and microfiber cloth and it seemed pretty sturdy as I didn't see any screen abnormalities when I put everything back together and tested it out.

Thanks everyone in this thread who contributed!
Hi my audi a4 2011 is scratched as well. Will it be possible if I use ScratchX to scrubbed/clean the MMI display without taking it out? What will be some of the negative/cons if I don't. I don't plan on putting a screen protector.

Thanks everyone in advance.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Exactly

Originally Posted by SQive
You drive a McLaren, yet you bought the cheap Chinese crap...oh, the irony!
Ha I was thinking this the whole time. Not really about the part, or the fact that its chinese, more about the fact that if you can afford a lambo, you typically wouldn't be spending time messing with a 1200 part. Maybe retired?
Old 05-17-2016, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by bbywu
Here:

I ordered

1 x AUO C070VW04 V6 7" TFT LCD Panel Display FOR Car Application (LCD-OTHER-40106-016) = $93.99
Dude, obviously this is an insanely old post compared to today. I actually got back from Afghan around the time and picked up the car when you were posting about this. bbywu I just wanted to say thanks so much for your efforts. Even though I am still bidazzled at why you would invest time replacing this regardless of your financial status, or spend time to share it, it is very much appreciated. You rock, and this saved me some serious dough. It's amazing what a bit of reading could do for you.

I also managed to crack the stupid surrounding on my Q5, do you know where I can get the whole assembly pretty cheap? I'm talking about the silver trim and black piece that house the hazard light and airbag light/button.

I actually have a 13' Q5 that's white with peanut butter guts. Maybe one day I'll own a McLaren like you :-)!
Old 04-05-2021, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is very dated, but it really has helped me figure out what happened to the display and what my options are to resolve it. Parts are still out there on sites and eBay/Amazon. Great info!
Old 04-25-2023, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mystichrome
I know this thread is very dated, but it really has helped me figure out what happened to the display and what my options are to resolve it. Parts are still out there on sites and eBay/Amazon. Great info!
You car is very similar to mine. I just got a 2012 S5 Cabrio.
Were these instructions working for you? Any words of wisond?
Old 04-27-2023, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did everything on the list. I tried to put a protector on the screen but that didn't work well and decided to go without anything on it. Now I know to not touch the screen at all. So much better. Was well worth taking off the coating.