Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

my 2013 Q5 stalled while driving on the highway and wont start again!!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by serranot
"Car stayed on."

Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like the engine quit running but all of the electricity was still on.

Sounds like a fuel pump or spark failure to me. I better there is nothing wrong with the transmission. When the engine quits and the TC lock disengages, there is no mechanical connection between the transmission and engine.

My $0.02.

Tommy
I guess in that case the TC lock disengages to protect the tranny?
If it is a fuel pump failure, could it cause damage to the engine?damm.... or did it already?!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Harbooook
I guess in that case the TC lock disengages to protect the tranny?
If it is a fuel pump failure, could it cause damage to the engine?damm.... or did it already?!
The auto trans uses a fluid coupling to transmit engine power to the wheels. It allows slippage so you can do things like stop without the engine stalling, but it is relatively inefficient. The torque converter locks up to restore the mechanical connection (and efficiency) once the car is moving under certain conditions.

The TC lock unlocks whenever it's programmed to unlock. I suspect the engine quitting is one such condition. It really has nothing to do with protection and everything to do with the fact that it normally has to unlock so the engine can continue to run when you slow or stop the car.

I would not yet freak out. A fuel pump failure generally is not going to damage anything. You have to find out why it quit (e.g., pump failure, fuse blown, etc), but once restored, it should run fine.

That is but one theory. The engine needs fuel, air, and spark at the right time. Take any element away and you have a problem. Based on your description of the abrupt stoppage of things, I'm betting on fuel or spark; a new engine is not going to break a timing chain (usually).

I will be curious to see what it was. Please post the diagnosis.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by serranot
The auto trans uses a fluid coupling to transmit engine power to the wheels. It allows slippage so you can do things like stop without the engine stalling, but it is relatively inefficient. The torque converter locks up to restore the mechanical connection (and efficiency) once the car is moving under certain conditions.

The TC lock unlocks whenever it's programmed to unlock. I suspect the engine quitting is one such condition. It really has nothing to do with protection and everything to do with the fact that it normally has to unlock so the engine can continue to run when you slow or stop the car.

I would not yet freak out. A fuel pump failure generally is not going to damage anything. You have to find out why it quit (e.g., pump failure, fuse blown, etc), but once restored, it should run fine.

That is but one theory. The engine needs fuel, air, and spark at the right time. Take any element away and you have a problem. Based on your description of the abrupt stoppage of things, I'm betting on fuel or spark; a new engine is not going to break a timing chain (usually).

I will be curious to see what it was. Please post the diagnosis.
Thanks for the info.
I will post once I find out
Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Monday should be interesting.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

WOW...
it turns out its a faulty fuel level sensor! The gas gauge was indicating a third of a tank and 200Km to go! but it was empty!
They have to order the part from Vancouver and should be here tomorrow.
I have asked they check the fuel pump and engine for any damages! but Im glad it wasnt anything serious.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear it's not something major.

Good idea to check the fuel pump.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Harbooook
WOW...
it turns out its a faulty fuel level sensor! The gas gauge was indicating a third of a tank and 200Km to go! but it was empty!
They have to order the part from Vancouver and should be here tomorrow.
I have asked they check the fuel pump and engine for any damages! but Im glad it wasnt anything serious.
Ouch. Hopefully there's some resilience built in to the system to account for such a case even though it shouldn't really happen (though you always have people cruising way past "E"). Glad it's been diagnosed and getting fixed, and hopefully that's the extent of the problem (and no fallout).
Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AH - good deal ! glad it was easy...

but I took this
"the car stayed on though and I managed to pull over to the shoulder."
to mean the car was still running !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :}

That's my suuuuthern gentlemen upbringing...
your turn the car on and off !

Thus my guess at electronic short of some kind since I ASSumed fuel was not the problem...

No wonder my company asked us all to take a writing course about 'ambiguous' statements

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 01-28-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great. Back on the road in a flash.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
AH - good deal ! glad it was easy...

but I took this
"the car stayed on though and I managed to pull over to the shoulder."
to mean the car was still running !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :}

That's my suuuuthern gentlemen upbringing...
your turn the car on and off !

Thus my guess at electronic short of some kind since I ASSumed fuel was not the problem...

No wonder my company asked us all to take a writing course about 'ambiguous' statements
LOL.
I can assure you the engine was still running when I pulled over till I shut it off myself! I sure hope this sensor is the end of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my 2013 Q5 stalled while driving on the highway and wont start again!!