Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New to Q5 Family, question about bumper protector

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Q5 Family, question about bumper protector

Hello All,

I just joined the Q5 family this past weekend. Hubby got me this ultimate "push" present for having our first baby

I had a Jetta which I adore but with a 3 months old in tow, hubby felt that it was safer if I drove a bigger car. I am loving the 2013 Q5, though it does take some time getting use to driving an SUV. I love the fact that I no longer have to "fall" into my Jetta with my baby and occasionally bump his head to the roof when lifting him up to place him in the car seat. I know he’s also enjoying the sky view with the panoramic sunroof

I would like to get recommendations from you for bumper protector that I can use for the car. With constant loading/unloading of the stroller, I want to make sure that I can get something to prevent scratching the lip paint of the bumper. If possible, I also prefer the kind of protector that’s easily removable without damaging the paint if needed.

Thank you!!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by treasureshell
Hello All,

I just joined the Q5 family this past weekend. Hubby got me this ultimate "push" present for having our first baby

I had a Jetta which I adore but with a 3 months old in tow, hubby felt that it was safer if I drove a bigger car. I am loving the 2013 Q5, though it does take some time getting use to driving an SUV. I love the fact that I no longer have to "fall" into my Jetta with my baby and occasionally bump his head to the roof when lifting him up to place him in the car seat. I know he’s also enjoying the sky view with the panoramic sunroof

I would like to get recommendations from you for bumper protector that I can use for the car. With constant loading/unloading of the stroller, I want to make sure that I can get something to prevent scratching the lip paint of the bumper. If possible, I also prefer the kind of protector that’s easily removable without damaging the paint if needed.

Thank you!!
You might like a Bumper Bully, Bumper Badger or similar fold out rubber rear bumper protector. You can mount the straps far up on the rear cargo mat amd allow the thing to hang down over the top and front of the bumper. They are usually $50 or less, but you do have to spend the few seconds to flip the thing down and then back into the cargo area and have a hand or two free do do it.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Congrats on your new Q5 and welcome to the forum.

From reading your post you are concerned about the lip of the bumper so you may want to consider a protective covering for it. I don't have one yet, but several on here have a clear adhesive plastic covering for it, and others have a stainless steel cover (which I'm considering). See the pic below that I pulled from Ebay. Irenesbob is suggesting another option which I do have. In the pic below you'll see the Parking Armour bumper protector which works well. I had a Bumper Bully which left marks on my old X3 but this one is much better designed.

Enjoy your new Q5 and your little tyke!
Attached Images   
Old 11-07-2012, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've used ones like this, or similar, on several of my wagons, and my wife's Passat. Not really inconspicuous, but it works pretty well, if it fits right. There are a couple of sizes. Honestly, I wish the darned things had a bumper cover option. I use my wagons (and will do the same when my Q5 gets here). Lumber, mulch, trips to Ikea, loading 2 Labradors. A black plastic pad looks better than scratches.

Amazon Amazon
Old 11-07-2012, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this site, they have a bumper protector:

http://www.ybmwarehouseusa.com/servl...-Bumper/Detail

I bought from them (good service) the Q5 splash guard. It keeps the car cleaner.

http://www.ybmwarehouseusa.com/servl...h-Guard/Detail
Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I got the SS one:

I really like it and it takes a lot of abuse from my wife trips to the airport (sometimes the two week trips to Asia means heavy bags). There are some scratches on the SS but one does not really notice them and better on the cover than the bumper.

More pictures of the install are here:http://s711.photobucket.com/albums/w...umper%20Cover/
Old 11-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Reggie, looks good! Was it a pain to put on?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

With this fit the 2013 Q5?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I put on the OEM clear film on the bumper. It was pretty easy to do. It's been protecting the lip from my dogs jumping into the car. The only drawback of it is that it only covers the lip and not the bumper. My Old English Sheepdog has hit the bumper with his paws a few times, but hasn't damaged it yet.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, the slick nice looking strip protects the top of the bumper not the upright part; you can still chip/scratch that surface. With something like the Bumper Bully you can adjust the straps so the rubber part covers both the top and the upright part of the bumper. But, to each their own. If you just leave a Bumper Bully down for the minute or two to drag something heavy into the cargo area it shouldn’t mar the paint as someone mentioned - I think that happens only when someone leaves it down and maybe even drives around with it flapping in the wind.
My daughter has both kinds, but when the 60 lb. dog goes in the back she always flips down the Bumper Bully, likewise for a bike or carriage.

Quick Reply: New to Q5 Family, question about bumper protector