Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Newer Audi windshields seem to be too fragile.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newer Audi windshields seem to be too fragile.

On the highway over the weekend and a small rock decides to fling itself into my windshield. I didn't think much of it because it seemed too small to do any real damage and I didn't see any marks in the area I thought it hit.

I make a couple of stops and when I get back on the highway I notice a crack coming from the edge of the windshield on the driver's side. Over the next few hours the crack continues growing to where it's about 1 foot long now. The rock hit about 1/2 inch from the edge.

I've driven countless cars over the years and have taken windshield hits from all sorts of debris. This is the first time I've ever had a windshield actually crack. Not only that, but it just so happens that the windshield on my husband's 2013 A8L has also cracked in a similar fashion. The crack starts at the bottom corner of the windshield on the driver's side about 1 1/2 inches from the edge.

I've only had my 2014 SQ5 for 1 1/2 months and can't believe I'm going to have to replace the windshield! Should I contact Audi? I honestly don't think that tiny little rock should've been enough to crack the windshield.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I also have suffered the same injury. A stray rock it our 2014 Q5 in February about 1 inch from bottom, 8 inches from left edge. Not too long after it began the crack from the bottom up about halfway up the windshield.

Was just at Safelite for a replacement today. I wanted to see the new windshield before installation. My original Audi windshield is Guardian with Audi logo. The one that Safelite had located was Saint-Gobain Sekurit. The manager said it before me that if you want OEM, he will reorder. I will wait for the OEM windshield.

After spending $55,000 on a new vehicle I don't want an aftermarket windshield. But I hope we both have fluke accidental rock hits that resulting in this cracking.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 07-28-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got mine cracked as well. Replaces for another OEM one. The installer actually said all new windshields were thin and rather fragile. He even showed me other pieces in his truck. They did look thin.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I also have suffered the same injury. A stray rock it our 2014 Q5 in February about 1 inch from bottom, 8 inches from left edge. Not to long after it began the crack from the bottom up about halfway up the windshield.

Was just at Safelite for a replacement today. I wanted to see the new windshield before installation. My original Audi windshield is Guardian with Audi logo. The one that Safelite had located was Saint-Gobain Sekurit. The manager said it before me that if you want OEM, he will reorder. That is where is left it.

After spending $55,000 on a new vehicle I don't want an aftermarket windshield. But I hope we both have fluke accidental rock hits that resulting in this cracking.
Did you take pictures? I'm definitely going to go with OEM. However, I think I'm going to contact Audi with our details first. It just seems too odd to have 2 new Audis with cracked windshields in the same household.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a crack show up overnight on my 2013 RS 5. Started at left edge and was about 18" long. I did notice a small chip where it started, but took awhile to crack I guess. So replaced with an OEM windshield on July 11. That afternoon while driving home, a kid on a skateboard ran a downhill stop sign and broadsided me. Said he couldn't stop. His elbow went through the windshield and he also totaled the right front fender. Kid needed stiches in elbow but no broken bones. Woe is me. Parts on order.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MAMOHT
I got mine cracked as well. Replaces for another OEM one. The installer actually said all new windshields were thin and rather fragile. He even showed me other pieces in his truck. They did look thin.
I think this is the answer. My Q5 windshield also says "acoustic" on the label. So there is tech at play here for noise and weight reduction. Here is a description from the Saint Goblain Sekurit website:

FUNCTIONAL GLAZING

Product advantages

For end-users:

Comfort:

A quiet car interior allows passengers to take full advantage of the entertainment equipment in their car, for example, a CD player or radio receiver. Moreover, a quieter interior will encourage use of a hands-free phone system or future voice controlled devices.

Safety:

An uncomfortable sound environment has negative effects on the driver (and passengers) who may feel tired and drowsy, thus jeopardizing safety.

For car makers:

To reduce noise inside the car without increasing weight:

Acoustic glazing is one of the technical sound insulation solutions that will not increase the total weight of the car. For instance assuming that the glass thickness is maintained, an acoustic windshield will have exactly the same weight as a conventional glazing.

A significant opportunity for weight reduction:

The use of acoustic windshields allows carmakers to lighten their cars by using thinner glazing without sacrificing acoustic comfort. Indeed, for the same total thickness of glass, acoustic glazing can also reduce the weight of the glazing and enhance acoustic comfort inside the passenger compartment.

Best cost/efficiency ratio:

Using SGS dBCONTROL® acoustic glazing is an efficient, easy to implement and cost effective solution to fight against noise inside cars.

Competitive differentiation and Improvement of brand image:

When all vehicles feature more or less the same specifications and differentiating them becomes a difficult task, acoustic comfort can be one of the few main choice criteria. Therefore, acoustic comfort is a powerful argument for differentiation. Last but not least, it will contribute to improving a car maker's brand image.

A fully compatible product:

Acoustic PVB can be used in conjunction with any other functions added to glass such as heatable glazing (SGS ICECONTROL® Coating or Wires), heat reflective or absorbing glazing (SGS THERMOCONTROL® Reflecting or Absorbing).
Old 07-29-2014, 04:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Definitely work with the local repair shop suggested by the dealer. I had a chip/crack (saw the rock coming and ducked!) that grew over a couple of days to a full length crack, the local dealer suggested a shop--they actually did the repair in one of the dealer repair bays. They also suggested I work with the insurance company to "force" the use of OEM glass, there are appx 5 different windshields for 2014 Q5's depending on installed options, so you need the dealer to look up the correct part by VIN.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here are some pictures. Not easy to see, but this is the best I could do with smartphone.

The rock hit was about 1/3 way up from bottom of windshield and that NYS inspection sticker (square one).

FWIW.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't mind take a pic of the Windsheild logo information. I know glass, in particular automotive laminated safety glass. The thickness doesn't have much to do with its resistance to stone impacts. The internal stress and tension/compression profile is most important. The thickness actually is more geared towards sound dampening, acoustic vinyl does a better job damping but can't attenuate all frequencies, hence thicker glass. But thick glass is expensive and heavy! Thin glass with acoustic vinyl is best setup IMO.

Typically the perimeter of laminated glass is the weakest part of the windshield. The region 8-15mm from edge of glass. Stress can also be high up to 400mm inboard from edge depending on their annealing and tooling setup. The cermaic area is usually weaker too due to the emissity of the surface, ceramic area heats and cools quicker compared to the clear area. The center of glass, in the normal viewing window typically has no stress and can withstand impacts much better.. You can see stress with polarized glasses. It looks like this. Cool huh?

I can tell you there is no gaurantee a WS can withstand stone impact, especially where the rock hit your windhsield, in the ceramic print area near the edge. I see a big dig mark, glass chip.

I would try the Saint Gobain (france) if others report the same issue with Gaurdian. Staint Gobain may make a better windshield.

How does distortion look? Do you see waviness around the border dots or mirror/rain sensor area? Feel free to ask away.

Last edited by burns375; 07-29-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you for your comments and insight. I will get photos of the label on both the old and new windshield (still at Safelite). Perhaps the Saint Gobain would be better.

What is your background that you have this knowledge?

Quick Reply: Newer Audi windshields seem to be too fragile.