Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cost of carbon service?

Old 02-12-2016, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of carbon service?

So after searching and reading many posts about the carbon build up issues on the 3.2 I started getting a bit nervous and jerky. My Q is a 2010 with 62k and hasn't had an issue yet, knock on wood. A good friend recommended a private garage that specializes in Audi/VW. Its about an hour drive away but he says they are well worth the trip. I contacted them and asked for a quote so I wouldn't have complete sticker shock when the time comes. They quoted me $700 parts and labor. How does that compare to other prices you all have seen?
Thanks
Old 02-12-2016, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't it be covered under the AoA extended warranty coverage - ie free?
The following users liked this post:
Key1120 (08-06-2023)
Old 02-12-2016, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not the original owner of the car. I was unaware of any warranty coverage I was entitled to, please share.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't believe they will be doing it correctly for $700. It sounds like an intake manifold pull + intake valve cleaning. The 3.2 carbon problem is in the secondary exhaust ports, which originally required engine removal to access the ports. Later, Audi created a special tool that goes from dealer-to-dealer with a trained tech to do the job less intrusively. An Indy shop will almost certainly not have access to that shortcut.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
I don't believe they will be doing it correctly for $700. It sounds like an intake manifold pull + intake valve cleaning. The 3.2 carbon problem is in the secondary exhaust ports, which originally required engine removal to access the ports. Later, Audi created a special tool that goes from dealer-to-dealer with a trained tech to do the job less intrusively. An Indy shop will almost certainly not have access to that shortcut.
How, or what does that special tool do? Just curious.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Here's how carbon cleaning is actually done on the 3.2:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...clean-2764902/

Old 02-12-2016, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Exactly my point - wrong carbon problem! Pulling the intake manifold and cleaning the intake valves isn't the correct fix for carbon in the 3.2. Sure there will be plenty of carbon on those valves, but that issue will rarely throw a CEL. Plugged secondary air injection ports on the other hand, most certainly will throw a CEL because it's an emissions problem. THAT's the fatal flaw regarding carbon in the 3.2, not carbon on the valves, as shown in the link.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is to share my limited experience on subject.
When we were considering gasoline engines, I brought up issue of Carbon Buildup to the 3 repair/maintenance managers in the major Audi dealer in my area.
They indicated that they provide an "Induction Service" that takes care of it. From what I can find, it introduces chemicals into the engine to remove the CB. They indicated that care must be taken not to overdue it b/c it could damage that catalytic converter.
My take is that doing the IS periodically limits CB so this induction service can do clean up.
Hope this helps and good luck

Last edited by Sigq5; 02-12-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Exactly my point - wrong carbon problem! Pulling the intake manifold and cleaning the intake valves isn't the correct fix for carbon in the 3.2. Sure there will be plenty of carbon on those valves, but that issue will rarely throw a CEL. Plugged secondary air injection ports on the other hand, most certainly will throw a CEL because it's an emissions problem. THAT's the fatal flaw regarding carbon in the 3.2, not carbon on the valves, as shown in the link.
Hi Elevens,

Not sure what you meant by "wrong carbon problem", since the OP was simply asking about carbon cleaning and not explicitly about a CEL issue. Also, as we know, just because a CEL is not on doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

BTW, I'm not disagreeing that the issue associated with carbon buildup in the area of the exhaust manifold and the secondary air injection ports isn't real. But as we both know, that fix has traditionally required the removal of the engine, to gain the required access.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its actually Edge Motors who quoted me the $700

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cost of carbon service?