Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Software Upgrade for Steering

Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Software Upgrade for Steering

Today I had my 8000K service done in Canada on my 2013 Q5 Prem Plus 2.0....

Issue #1: They said there was a software update to take care of a steering recall.

I have to say, the car drives literally 100% different and I'm not sure I like it. It's SUPER loose. I felt driving down the highway I had to be so on the ball as the car wheel would simply move back and forth with no tension.

Doesn't feel like a great upgrade or fix. Is there somewhere I can read about what was done and why?

Issue #2: Would they have fooled with my wipers at all? On the way home a truck sprayed some slushy snowy mud on me. When the wipers kicked in, there was a giant spot directly in my field of vision that the wipers just wouldnt wipe. It's like they were adjusted or something.

I had to pull over to wipe the mud off. Obviously not ideal.

Any ideas?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by canadianeh
Today I had my 8000K service done in Canada on my 2013 Q5 Prem Plus 2.0....

Issue #1: They said there was a software update to take care of a steering recall.

I have to say, the car drives literally 100% different and I'm not sure I like it. It's SUPER loose. I felt driving down the highway I had to be so on the ball as the car wheel would simply move back and forth with no tension.

Doesn't feel like a great upgrade or fix. Is there somewhere I can read about what was done and why?

Issue #2: Would they have fooled with my wipers at all? On the way home a truck sprayed some slushy snowy mud on me. When the wipers kicked in, there was a giant spot directly in my field of vision that the wipers just wouldnt wipe. It's like they were adjusted or something.

I had to pull over to wipe the mud off. Obviously not ideal.

Any ideas?
Did you try using the windshield wash to remove the mud. Could have just been so oily that the blades could not remove it.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Washer fluid sprayers on Audi's suck!!! My 2010 S5 and now my 2014 SQ5 have the worst sprayers on the market. I don't know why Audi thinks the sprayers need to work at 5 million psi and shoot 3 streams. And nice mist would work.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Washer fluid sprayers on Audi's suck!!! My 2010 S5 and now my 2014 SQ5 have the worst sprayers on the market. I don't know why Audi thinks the sprayers need to work at 5 million psi and shoot 3 streams. And nice mist would work.
LOL and as soon as the nozzle is mis-aligned, it shoots fluid like a water gun straight over your roof onto the person driving behind you.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

And nice mist would work.

Yes it is nice but ....
Try this system at -15°C = 5°F degrees at a speed of 70-80 km/h
Old 03-06-2014, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Disable the DSR and the steering will feel much tighter.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parsec
LOL and as soon as the nozzle is mis-aligned, it shoots fluid like a water gun straight over your roof onto the person driving behind you.
Just last week I stopped into the dealership to get the passenger side nozzles adjusted. One jet was spraying a stream in the air off to the right of the car.

It was a busy morning (bitter cold with some snow) but they got a tech to look at it, make the adjustment and I was out in 5-10 minutes. A small gesture, but appreciated.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Just last week I stopped into the dealership to get the passenger side nozzles adjusted. One jet was spraying a stream in the air off to the right of the car.

It was a busy morning (bitter cold with some snow) but they got a tech to look at it, make the adjustment and I was out in 5-10 minutes. A small gesture, but appreciated.
I will have then look at mine at my 5k service.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I will have then look at mine at my 5k service.

I notice that the upper right part of my windshield doesn't get much fluid. It's usually still salt covered after cleaning attempts. Are you guys saying that this can be adjusted? That would be nice.

I think my steering felt much better after the update. I felt the notchiness and was frequently correcting trying to go straight.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
I notice that the upper right part of my windshield doesn't get much fluid. It's usually still salt covered after cleaning attempts. Are you guys saying that this can be adjusted? That would be nice.

I think my steering felt much better after the update. I felt the notchiness and was frequently correcting trying to go straight.
Adjusting jets

Name:  ScreenShot201_zps193e3b3f.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  ScreenShot202_zpsd4f3548f.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  ScreenShot200_zpsfea923b9.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  36.2 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Software Upgrade for Steering