Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Permanently Disable "Service Due" Light

Old 04-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Permanently Disable "Service Due" Light

so that it never returns. Can this be done by an Audi dealer? I don't have any interest in returning to the Audi dealer every 10,000miles for them to reset it. Also, since this light can not be reset by the owner without special equipment, and since the owner is under no obligation to either have service performed at an Audi dealer or buy this special equipment, shouldn't this issue be considered a vehicle defect for which Audi is responsible for rectifying?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Ganny, welcome aboard!

Originally Posted by Ganny

...shouldn't this issue be considered a vehicle defect for which Audi is responsible for rectifying?
You're going to try to hold someone "at fault" for providing a service reminder

I've re-programmed my service and oil change reminders a bit using the VCDS interface. I don't know if you could change the service interval to 9999 days, for example. The system may not accept it. Find you local VCDS person and have them try.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Ganny, welcome aboard!

Thanks!
You're going to try to hold someone "at fault" for providing a service reminder

Yes, I find it to be a major defect that the service reminder can not be reset in the MMI (just like the oil change reminder).
I've re-programmed my service and oil change reminders a bit using the VCDS interface. I don't know if you could change the service interval to 9999 days, for example. The system may not accept it. Find you local VCDS person and have them try.
I performed the 15,000 service DIY, and just dropped off my Q5 at the Audi Dealer to perform some unrelated warranty work. I asked them to reset the service reminder-they said they would if I provide "proof" that the service was performed. When I return to pick up my Q5, I will provide them receipts for the oil, filter, etc. and a signed receipt stating I performed the service, but if possible I want them to do a permanent (or close to permanent) disabling of the reminder. If they are unable, I might have to take up this "defect" with Audi corporate!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will likely DIY as well or at least go to an indie shop. Is there really no way for the owner to reset the service reminder via some button presses or something?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why bother? The Ross-Tech VCDS cable and software license is only $350 and pretty much mandatory for any DIY work. If for no other reason than run a full scan once in a while to look for problems.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Xenonista
Why bother? The Ross-Tech VCDS cable and software license is only $350 and pretty much mandatory for any DIY work. If for no other reason than run a full scan once in a while to look for problems.
Doesn't that cable and software require a PC? I have no interest in buying a PC and a Cable just to reset a service due light. I'm not sure what other DIY work would be precluded without the VCDS, but if I do need a VCDS to perform that other DIY work then I would also have the same objection (the functionality to do ordinary maintenance and repairs should be built-in).
Old 04-03-2014, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Ganny
Doesn't that cable and software require a PC? I have no interest in buying a PC and a Cable just to reset a service due light. I'm not sure what other DIY work would be precluded without the VCDS, but if I do need a VCDS to perform that other DIY work then I would also have the same objection (the functionality to do ordinary maintenance and repairs should be built-in).
Then you're SOL.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah this is pretty messed up if you can't reset it on your own. I plan to DIY maintenance or take it to an indie shop. There is no reason to pay dealer prices.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Transfer
Yeah this is pretty messed up if you can't reset it on your own. I plan to DIY maintenance or take it to an indie shop. There is no reason to pay dealer prices.
Then I'd strongly recommend the VAGCOM cable. If you're a DIY'er, it's worth the money, and it can easily be sold when you sell the call, or kept for your next VAG vehicle.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
Then I'd strongly recommend the VAGCOM cable. If you're a DIY'er, it's worth the money, and it can easily be sold when you sell the call, or kept for your next VAG vehicle.
I'm still perplexed how this design issue could be deemed acceptable by anyone. If Audi does not disclose to buyers (before the purchase) that they will be unable to perform routine service without a trip to an Audi dealer (along with written proof of service) to reset the service light, then in those cases Audi should provide owners the necessary equipment or fix the design defect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Permanently Disable "Service Due" Light