Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Permanently Disable "Service Due" Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The passenger air bag light is incredibly annoying. As is the choice of carpeting material that I'm sure was selected purely based on its ability to retain dog hair in a death grip...
Old 04-07-2014, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you guys talking about... the oil change service interval can be reset right through the radio. car off, car, settings. reset.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Highpark
What are you guys talking about... the oil change service interval can be reset right through the radio. car off, car, settings. reset.
The discussion is talking about the service interval reminder which can't be changed in the MMI, not the oil change reminder which can.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
snagit-
"except that the telltale need not "
Simpler and cheaper not to implement that option. And I'll bet someone's legal department said "Well, it isn't REQUIRED to be on all the time but we feel..."
Considering the current complexity and cost of the car, I doubt it would have been very complicated or costly to wire it into the existing seat sensor. No passenger, no light.

Originally Posted by Redd
If I don't find some "wood" that matches the interior, I'll put a piece of electrical tape over it. Got any suggestions for "wood" trim?
Chewing gum?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Audi and other car manufacturers BMW, MB ........ done with intent, simply because of the warnings need to do regular service

If you do not like it, as you wrote Bob Petruska "Otherwise stay away from Euro cars"
Does the same issue exist with BMWs (i.e., do you need special equipment to reset service interval and/or to perform routine maintenance such as brake pad replacement)? If so, what equipment is required for BMWs and what is the cost?
Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Ganny
Does the same issue exist with BMWs (i.e., do you need special equipment to reset service interval and/or to perform routine maintenance such as brake pad replacement)? If so, what equipment is required for BMWs and what is the cost?
BMW ICOM, ICOM A2, INPA , ISPA-D and ISTA-P ............
The cost depends on whether you are buying the original or a Chinese clone
Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
BMW ICOM, ICOM A2, INPA , ISPA-D and ISTA-P ............
The cost depends on whether you are buying the original or a Chinese clone
Is it required to reset service interval?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Not to worry, Ganny. There's a nice Barrett-Jackson Auction in West Palm this coming weekend with nearly 600 nice shiny cars that have (mainly) no computers at all. No metric parts, no trick security screws, no funny reminder lights, no abstract nanny-state nonsense on them.

I'm very tempted to trade my car in for something crude, unsophisticated, and very much late-60's-muscle-car.

Needs oil, gas, and parts that I can get from folks who won't require that I have a special license before installing them.

Very tempted.

And you know, they are all made and sold WITH A DIPSTICK and no argument about it, too.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ganny
Is it required to reset service interval?
You used to be able to buy a "Peake Research" reset tool for about $50 to reset BMW intervals. Then they changed to their "condition service intervals" and the Peake tool no longer worked. However we did find ways of using the OBC to reset the intervals on these newer cars. The other tool that a lot of BMW owners bought was the Bavarian Technic cable--which works much the same as the VAG-Com tool but I think is more difficult to use. They have one version that is limited to 3 serial numbers for about $350 but the one that works for unlimited cars is about $675. Therefore, I think the VAG-COM tool is actually a pretty good deal.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Considering the current complexity and cost of the car, I doubt it would have been very complicated or costly to wire it into the existing seat sensor. No passenger, no light.
This is what would make sense:

When the seat sensor detects a minimum weight, activate the airbag.
The driver can manually disable the airbag for various situations, like a piece of furniture, or a bag, or a dog crate, in the seat.
Whenever the auto activation is overridden (whether the seat is empty or not), light the indicator.

From my reading of the regulations above, this should be perfectly in line with the requirements.

I suspect Audi's decision to have it reflect to auto activation rather than override is based a desire to be able to visually confirm that the airbag is enabled with a passenger in the seat and make it less likely a car is driven around for an extended period with a defective seat sensor. (And hence a disabled pass. airbag.)

Quick Reply: Permanently Disable "Service Due" Light