Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Picking an exterior color

Old 05-19-2014, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gojones
I really like the Chestnut Brown interior with walnut trim. I have initially picked the Maya Brown as the exterior color, however I would like other opinions on the combination of Chestnut Brown interior with Black headliner and an exterior color. I can still change my order so....what would you pick?
I prefer the Ash Brown Natural inlays myself as I don't like the glossy wood look of the others. I ordered The Chestnut Brown interior with the Lava Grey exterior and Ash Brown Natural.

I have the Chestnut Brown with Moonlight Blue on my S4 and also love that combo but didn't want both cars to match that closely.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ocean1
I prefer the Ash Brown Natural inlays myself as I don't like the glossy wood look of the others. I ordered The Chestnut Brown interior with the Lava Grey exterior and Ash Brown Natural.
I'm looking at the same interior color combo, but I'm struggling to get a handle on what the Lava Grey really looks like. In the brochure, it seems to have a much browner cast vs. Monsoon Grey - and I don't want to drive a brown truck - but I've seen some comments that it's a very changeable color, and therefore more... interesting...

Any side-by-side of Lava vs. Monsoon out there?
Old 05-20-2014, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bucharu
I'm looking at the same interior color combo, but I'm struggling to get a handle on what the Lava Grey really looks like. In the brochure, it seems to have a much browner cast vs. Monsoon Grey - and I don't want to drive a brown truck - but I've seen some comments that it's a very changeable color, and therefore more... interesting...

Any side-by-side of Lava vs. Monsoon out there?
I had the same concern. Take a look at the attached photos. The Q5 is Lava, the A4 is Monsoon. The Lava never looked brown to me in direct sunlight or shade. I think it can look brown in the showroom under artificial lighting at some angles.
Attached Images      
Old 05-20-2014, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same concern. Take a look at the attached photos. The Q5 is Lava, the A4 is Monsoon. The Lava never looked brown to me in direct sunlight or shade. I think it can look brown in the showroom under artificial lighting at some angles.
Sorry, some of these are upside down but you get the point.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not exactly on topic, but, we were really disappointed with the lack of any real variety in colors when we bought our Q5. They ranged from Blah to Common. Black, white, 3 shades of grey, and 2 shades of silver. (OK, maybe a slight exaggeration). But there were no nice deep reds, greens, . The colors were mostly what you see an ocean of in any parking lot.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There was a Lava A3 I used to see at my last job. It always looked very very very dark grey (nearly black), maybe with a slight brownish tint to the grey if you're up close, but nothing obvious.

Of the available greys on the Q5, I'd probably go Daytona as Monsoon is a little light and doesn't seem to have much of an interesting tint/effect to it IMO. Of course Daytona's an S-Line exclusive so wasn't an option for my non-S-Line, so I went Scuba instead which is nice. The base color is pretty much the same as my dad's Camry (so not "fancy" or anything), but the metallic effect definitely brings it to life. I think it pairs well with the Chestnut interior, too.

And IMO it's probably not worth stressing too much over trying to match the interior and exterior colors, as how often will you see them both at the same time in enough proximity to really need to be concerned? I do think that a lot of colors would work well with the brown+black interior that Chestnut gives you even if you're being critical while standing with the doors open, though. Probably wouldn't go brown or red, but white/black/grey/blue tones should all work easily enough.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Monsoon Grey with grey finish wheels is pretty sweet.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Daytona !
Old 05-21-2014, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all the pics and other contributions!
Obviously, will still prowl the local lots to see colors live...
Old 05-21-2014, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

+1; one of the things I liked about Scuba Blue; stronger color than many other choices

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Picking an exterior color