Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Q5 Oil Consumption

I have 80,200 mi on my vehicle. I have records of voicemails I've left for the Service Manager at my dealership (since early Feb) and I was specific as to why I was calling. No response. I was told in Dec that I had to speak to the SM since my oil changes have not been at the dealership since my Audi Care package expired. I have records from the shop that has changed oil every time. Today, I called the Audi Cust Service line and they told me to call dealership and make and apt for an oil consumption test. I called and spoke to a rep and made the apt for March 13. Explained that I have 80,200 miles and was told no problem. I have the name of the person I spoke to, but worried that once I drive it and put more miles on it for their test, I'm going to be told I'm out of warranty. I know it needs to be fixed...the light comes on every 300 miles! Suggestions on how to cover myself on the mileage? Anyone else had this situation??
thanks
Old 02-28-2017, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by atc98092
About 73,000 miles. I've never had anything use oil like this since my Dad's Mazda rotary pickup back in the 70s.
Oil light came on today, so added a quart. Looking at my log, I went exactly 1,102 miles on that quart. I probably drove about 10 miles after the light came on. Based on the information contained in the first post, Audi would consider this excessive.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by apoelistas
Why? Are engine oil properties the problem or the piston diameter and the PCV / high engine vacuum??
After applying both fixes I have no oil consumption.
I assumed it was some kind of problem with piston ring material. Pure guess.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by tosten
I assumed it was some kind of problem with piston ring material. Pure guess.
I think wrong ring diameter/thickness.

The first fix was firmware + new PCV + new front crankcase seal

The second fix which follows the first fix is Pistons and Conrod kit.

Audi carried out both fixes on my 2009 Q5 2.0 TFSi FOC and since then I am really a happy Audi customer / supporter.

​​​​
Old 03-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My Audi A6 2006 3.2L Quattro just had the Fuel filter and oil filter changed. Now she wont start when engine is warm/hot, and will DIE, like at a stop light. Could this be a Camshaft Speed Sensor issue?? Any help would be AWESOME!!! Thank you so much!
Old 03-02-2017, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

I always use vcds for fault diagnosis. if you dont have one you can also use a generic obdc diagnostic. It could be a water pump issue, a radiator fan issue etc, You need to check asap before you burn your engine. Just few ideas.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just read through this whole thread and I am thinking I'm SOL.

I have a non-recall 2013 2.0L Turbocharged A4 I purchased from an Audi dealer certified pre owned at 12k miles. I am now at 105k miles (I drive a lot for work). I have taken it in for every Audi 10k mile service up to 95k

I know previous models have the recall for excessive oil consumption, but I am now starting to get very excessive oil consumption on mine and needing to add a quart of oil every 600-700 miles. I started noticing I would need to top off about once or twice between services over the past 50k miles well before 80k, but now I am at the point that where I have to top off every 600-700 miles.

I started taking the car to the dealership to top off for free around 85k miles or earlier. But because of how excessive it is at the 105k mark, they finally are did the oil consumption test. Just brought it back in after my car reached low oil add quart notification after 627 miles. They said this model is not affected and has replaced pistons etc, but does have scoring and the engine most likely will need to be replaced. I have to pay for it.

Do I have anything I can do to force them to cover? This started occuring well before the 80k mark, I just never realized I needed to force them to do the consumption test before then.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Schwartz
Just read through this whole thread and I am thinking I'm SOL.

I have a non-recall 2013 2.0L Turbocharged A4 I purchased from an Audi dealer certified pre owned at 12k miles. I am now at 105k miles (I drive a lot for work). I have taken it in for every Audi 10k mile service up to 95k

I know previous models have the recall for excessive oil consumption, but I am now starting to get very excessive oil consumption on mine and needing to add a quart of oil every 600-700 miles. I started noticing I would need to top off about once or twice between services over the past 50k miles well before 80k, but now I am at the point that where I have to top off every 600-700 miles.

I started taking the car to the dealership to top off for free around 85k miles or earlier. But because of how excessive it is at the 105k mark, they finally are did the oil consumption test. Just brought it back in after my car reached low oil add quart notification after 627 miles. They said this model is not affected and has replaced pistons etc, but does have scoring and the engine most likely will need to be replaced. I have to pay for it.

Do I have anything I can do to force them to cover? This started occuring well before the 80k mark, I just never realized I needed to force them to do the consumption test before then.
Did they check and replace the PCV valve? This can consume oil.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Did they check and replace the PCV valve? This can consume oil.
Yes, I spoke with the service manager to confirm that. Everything above is up to spec. The only issue they saw was scoring around cylinders. Which they said is an internal defect, they they will not cover. Estimated cost of replacement per dealer is $8217. Which means I'd rather sell than pay that
Old 04-04-2017, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default My Audi Q5 2012 T2.0 loosing oil also

Just took my 2012 Audi Q5 to the dealer, car has 76k, no accidents, no engine work.... Have been tracking loss of oil past 6 months and has been about 7 times where I have had to add a quart of oil - between 400-800 miles it needs a quart.

Service coordinator just told me this year, 2012, not part of the oil consumption testing or issues but I am welcome to talk to the service mgr - but am sure he will tell me the same thing....

Anyone have any documentation from Audi USA on this? I cant believe a car of this cost having these issues with so many people, and Audi not standing behind it. I surely will not pay for a new engine on a 5 year old car, but do expect Audi to stand behind their warranty....

Any help much appreciated.
thx

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps