Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

power surge problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power surge problems

Hi Q5 fanatics,

I was looking at the q5 in youtube and I found that there are people experiencing the power surge problem with the car. I hope this has been fixed for the 2010 models.

Here is the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xXsyVOAAx4

topgun77
Old 08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

hey topgun77, not sure where you are located, but if you are in the US or Canada, we don't get the 2.0T yet (or the 7-speed S-Tronic), so this is not an issue for us :-)
Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GolfGL
hey topgun77, not sure where you are located, but if you are in the US or Canada, we don't get the 2.0T yet (or the 7-speed S-Tronic), so this is not an issue for us :-)
Hi GolfGL,

I thought this will also affect the 3.2 TFSI engine too. Luckily this does not affect us. I am located in Canada and will be picking up the Q5 in early Nov.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi GolfGL,

Did you also have a problem with an unsteady rpm during cruise control too? I know this is an issue for the 2.0TFSI. I would like to know if this is also an issue for the 3.2TFSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEBVG93mi5o

topgun77
Old 08-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for posting this topgun... I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem.... 2.0TFSI s-tronic

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2759144

I was out on a long drive yesterday and it feels like a car being buffeted by really strong winds , it can make you feel quite sick lurching back and forth..... I was trying to video it yesterday... but sods law says that whenever you want it to happen it just doesn't do it as bad.... at one point the rev counter was fluctuating by as much as 300-400 rpm (usually when it does it, it will be around 100-200 rpm) , but missed that one on video.
Will definitely be into the dealer about this one...... even if I seem to the dealer as if I am moaning about every problem I have... (had problems with my trunk opening... and a dent that that put in the centre console whilst looking at it.. no probs they fixed them)
Old 08-24-2009, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just drove 3000 miles trip around Utah and cruise was nice and smooth.

After trip I took it to 15000 miles service that included software update as hitch was installed.

Now I have very same surge issue and even both of our GPS units show speed going up and down.

On less smooth highway and using cruise I can feel there is something wrong but bumpy road will someway distort nerves, once I got to nice and smooth highway, man that fluctuation got me pissed off and got my wife car sick.

Ours is NA 3.2L

<O </O
Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
I just drove 3000 miles trip around Utah and cruise was nice and smooth.

After trip I took it to 15000 miles service that included software update as hitch was installed.

Now I have very same surge issue and even both of our GPS units show speed going up and down.

On less smooth highway and using cruise I can feel there is something wrong but bumpy road will someway distort nerves, once I got to nice and smooth highway, man that fluctuation got me pissed off and got my wife car sick.

Ours is NA 3.2L

<O </O
Hey Kleinbus,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope you got everything fixed.

I really need everyone's input for this issue, even if you don't have this issue please post here to confirm that this is only happening in a small scale and that it could be a production issue.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by topgun77
Hey Kleinbus,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope you got everything fixed.

I really need everyone's input for this issue, even if you don't have this issue please post here to confirm that this is only happening in a small scale and that it could be a production issue.

I just spoke with dealer and they say there is nothing they can do if it is software problem as it looks like because mine was fine, nice and smooth before 15000 miles service that uploaded new software.

Dealer was typical way putting down the issue so I have to wait and see what happens. If nothing then I'm going to file federal complaint as it was not there when I bougth the car and I am not going to pay 40k from the car that makes me sea sick .

Darn just when everything looked good and I started to enjoy the car....
Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just spoke with dealer and they say there is nothing they can do if it is software problem as it looks like because mine was fine, nice and smooth before 15000 miles service that uploaded new software.

Dealer was typical way putting down the issue so I have to wait and see what happens. If nothing then I'm going to file federal complaint as it was not there when I bougth the car and I am not going to pay 40k from the car that makes me sea sick .

I feel for you. I hope this won't happen to me when I pick up my car this coming Nov.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

By the way, Is your Q5 3.2 TFSI a 2010 production model or a 2009?

Quick Reply: power surge problems