Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Prepping the Q5 for a baby

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations Chuck, I own a Q7 and find the best to protect the seats from a car seat is a thick towel, a simple cover will let the base of the seat crease the leather. Specially with the winters and summers we have, the base of the child seat will crease that leather right away.

Last edited by B490MTL; 04-09-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck2006
I was following the thread in secret...no more

Baby girl is coming in August. Really interesting to read you.

We live in Montreal almost downtown, don,t think we'll need more than the Q for the space. Else we'll get a cargo on the roof... I think the Q is a nice size for urban environnement. We don't want to park a car larger than that.

My sister is giving me her Bugaboo stroller/kit, and we'll go for Pegperego for the car seat. If someone can find the ultimate seat cover, would be great

Cheers to all family guys
I'm so sad that audi discontinued those seat covers. They do look nice. Probably I'll try that towel idea. Thanks for that.

And for the topic, Chuck 2006 is right. if you want extra space, you can get a roof cargo. I've been owning our Q5 for 2 yrs, the age of my boy, and I don't remember we had any issue for the space. 2 times we were traveling over seas, the first we had my mom and the other was my mother-in-law, with three 50 Ibs bags, 3 carry ons, and a small stroller. The only thing i had to do is to remove the cover of the trunk . Of course I didn't use my rearview mirror as it was blocked by our stuff BUT thanks for those elephant's ears, side mirrors, where they did the job.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the audi seat cover from my A4, which works very nicely. You'll need the towel under the car seat anyway to level it out.

We use this in my wife's outback, which works great. it also protects the back of the seat from the kicks and scrapes.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-09-2014, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

We have the audi seat cover for the Q5, it goes over the entire back row, and also covers the floor. It's great, except that you have to remove it to fold down the seats. Is this the one that was discontinued? If so, that's a shame.

We have an almost 4 y/o, and our second is due this summer.

First, allow me to put in a plug for Recaro car seats. We have the proride, as well as two Graco's, and the Recaro is by far superior. We love it, and it looks great.

Second, we bought the roof cargo carrier (Thule Atlantis 1800 XT), and never use it. It's just too much of a pain, for everything. A pain to store, a pain to put on, a pain to access once it's up there, etc. We used it a couple of times for big road trips to the beach, but now just find ourselves making everything fit inside.

I'll also plug the Uppababy Vista, great stroller.

It will be interesting to see how the Q does with 2 kids in the back.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey congrats! We just had our first baby three weeks ago so we are still trying to sort things out. Currently we are using the Peg Perago SIP 30/30 and we have a Stokke stroller.

We didn't get seat covers for the back yet so that is on our list. The trunk we had the Canvasback trunk liner that goes up the sides and also a Velcro on flap that comes down to protect the bumper. With our stroller on one side and the dog on the other, there is literally no more room left for anything else. If you have the sliding rear seats, pushing the driver side forward would give you extra room in the back.

For longer trips, we are going to get a rooftop cargo box to haul the stroller and other bulky stuff. Hoping to score an Atlantis 1600XT as that seems to look the best on the Q. The Inno brand has low profile cargo boxes that are pretty roomy as well but I don't like the look of them as much as the Thule.

Hopefully everyone can post photos of their setups so we can all get ideas on how everyone does it.
Attached Images    
Old 04-09-2014, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by B490MTL
Congratulations Chuck, I own a Q7 and find the best to protect the seats from a car seat is a thick towel, a simple cover will let the base of the seat crease the leather. Specially with the winters and summers we have, the base of the child seat will crease that leather right away.
There you go, crease ! The word I was seeking for yesterday.
Wanted to say my in-law got all his car seats creased with my 2 nephews using only cheap towels. (Pathfinder, Jetta, RX350, A4, IS350, C4S, now GT3RS...yup got back seats in the GT3RS...). He likes cars

Last edited by Chuck2006; 04-09-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckeye96
I have the audi seat cover from my A4, which works very nicely. You'll need the towel under the car seat anyway to level it out.

We use this in my wife's outback, which works great. it also protects the back of the seat from the kicks and scrapes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Will it cover the whole seat ? I've seen bad reviews on this product as people said it was too small, and could not attached it to the headrest. Pretty sure the little one will bang her feet on the seat pretty soon...too soon
Old 04-10-2014, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Chuck2006
Will it cover the whole seat ? I've seen bad reviews on this product as people said it was too small, and could not attached it to the headrest. Pretty sure the little one will bang her feet on the seat pretty soon...too soon
I think it does a great job. Let me take some pics and you can decide for yourself.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, thanks guys!! Freaking love this community.
I'll have to explore with my boss (the wife) what our options are. She's a bit shorter so i dont now if a cargo holder on top of the car would be feasilbe. It looks like the stroller takes up ALL of the trunk space lol.

Should've just gotten the Q7 lol

Originally Posted by apohis
Hey congrats! We just had our first baby three weeks ago so we are still trying to sort things out. Currently we are using the Peg Perago SIP 30/30 and we have a Stokke stroller.

We didn't get seat covers for the back yet so that is on our list. The trunk we had the Canvasback trunk liner that goes up the sides and also a Velcro on flap that comes down to protect the bumper. With our stroller on one side and the dog on the other, there is literally no more room left for anything else. If you have the sliding rear seats, pushing the driver side forward would give you extra room in the back.

For longer trips, we are going to get a rooftop cargo box to haul the stroller and other bulky stuff. Hoping to score an Atlantis 1600XT as that seems to look the best on the Q. The Inno brand has low profile cargo boxes that are pretty roomy as well but I don't like the look of them as much as the Thule.

Hopefully everyone can post photos of their setups so we can all get ideas on how everyone does it.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Starting on prepping my SQ and the wife's CC as our daughter is due this August too!

I think we can get everything in both of them right now but might have to do the roof rack if we decide to go on a longer trip in the S

Quick Reply: Prepping the Q5 for a baby