Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 snows - Dunlop or Bridgestone

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:11 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Depends which Blizzak model type. Winter studless or performance winter. I would not run a winter studless tire in NJ since as you said the roads are mostly dry. So that leaves performance winter tires and I've run the Dunlops on all my Audis over 12 years here and never had any issues.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm using Pirelli's and they're doing a very good job.

I must admit i do think they can do better during braking though.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with what your guy at tirerack suggests. Tire selection, even within one brand, depends almost entirely upon your requirements. If you talked to a tirerack consultant, he already asked the right questions.

BTW, i've run both dunlop and bridgestone dedicated winter tires, at least 4 sets each. But I wouldn't recommend one over the other without knowing more about what you want out of a tire.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Go with what your guy at tirerack suggests. Tire selection, even within one brand, depends almost entirely upon your requirements. If you talked to a tirerack consultant, he already asked the right questions.

BTW, i've run both dunlop and bridgestone dedicated winter tires, at least 4 sets each. But I wouldn't recommend one over the other without knowing more about what you want out of a tire.
Well, as a rule, NE NJ can get hit a few times a season with some storms, but for the most part, we don't have the heavy snow that most places north of us get and the roads get plowed fairly quickly. On average, from December through March, maybe we get a half dozen storms, sometimes more, sometimes less. But way more dry cold roads than snow covered roads, so maybe about 3 weeks total snow on the roads.

Bob
Old 01-24-2014, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have not seen any excessive wear with Blizzaks when running outside of winter, like in early spring.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you go with Dunlops, if at all possible get the 4Ds over the 3Ds. I like the 4D's even better than the old 3D' s, and that's saying a LOT. More sipes!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First winter on the Nokian hakkapeliitta r2 suv tires and they are hands down the best winter tires I've ever used. They may not be a household brand/name here in the states, but on the other side of the pond it's a different story.

Whichever you do decide to go with, it'll be a huge improvement over your stock tires during the winter months.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using Dunlop winter sport 4d, very happy, and I live in canada.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Denver and drive to the mountains every weekend. I need a snow and ice performer.

I have run nothing but Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 on several vehicles. I have heard a lot of very good comments on the Michelin X-Ice as well. Both are very popular in snow country here.

I think people here in snow country go for the softer compound tires even though they are known to have a shorter wear life. I think the soft compound is only one the top 40% of the tread. After that, just treat them as all seasons in the summer.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Again, good luck finding Dunlop 3D or 4D. I settled for the Pirelli Scorpion Winter which is the newer version of the Ice and Snow, and I'm quite happy with it. Performance is excellent on wet, dry, and snow.

Quick Reply: Q5 snows - Dunlop or Bridgestone