Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2015 SQ5 Mythos Black Optics

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 SQ5 Mythos Black Optics

Hi all, I have been reading through the recent pages of this forum over the past day or two. I'm new to the Audi brand as I am coming from a BMW. Lots of good information, so thanks!

I have been shopping for a CUV so I made an appointment with Audi to test drive an SQ5. Turns out I love the car. I was wanting a 2014 Phantom Black with the silver trim, kind of a classy look. Everytime I see this combo I turn my head. After some negotiation and finding an agreeable discount (including trade), he tries to locate me a car with my options. Turns out he found a 2015 Mythos Black with the black optics kit, 21", carbon atlas, B&O, mmi/navi, etc. that is in port (Halifax) and available within the next week or two. It will have to be rerouted as it is destined for another dealer so I need to let him know in the next day or so.

I haven't come across many pictures of this combo but I think it would be quite a different look that the black with chrome. I remember seeing the occasional blacked out Cayenne and loving it, but on other cars it doesn't look the greatest to me.

I know colour choice is personal, but I was wondering if anyone is more familiar with this combo and could provide their views on Audi's implementation of it.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

This thread should give you an idea of what the black optics package looks like:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2868562
Old 07-08-2014, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also look on the online configuration of a regular q5 in black phantom pearl then click on the "S line plus package" to get an idea. Wheels are different and grille meshing and rear valence different but it's enough to gauge it.

Edit: You can also go to audi UK and configure mythos black with " black styling pack", then add black roof rails. Only difference would then be they still get silver mirrors and yours would be body colored.

Last edited by Nick3753; 07-08-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you in Canada ? Nice little Technik SQ5 there...

I must tell you that I'm not a big fan of black optics for certain colors.
Contrast is important for me. Too much chrome is not better, but the regular SQ5 silver trim will appeal much more classy and rich than black optics.

For a white SQ5 for example, I think black optics should do great though.

Let's not forget that the black is glossy, but the silver is more "grainy" (?)

Sorry for bad english, but it's not matte, but it's not chrome either (apart from the grill outline).
Old 07-09-2014, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chuck2006
Are you in Canada ? Nice little Technik SQ5 there...

I must tell you that I'm not a big fan of black optics for certain colors.
Contrast is important for me. Too much chrome is not better, but the regular SQ5 silver trim will appeal much more classy and rich than black optics.

For a white SQ5 for example, I think black optics should do great though.

Let's not forget that the black is glossy, but the silver is more "grainy" (?)

Sorry for bad english, but it's not matte, but it's not chrome either (apart from the grill outline).
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am in Canada, and I agree with you @chuck2006 that black optics look better on lighter coloured cars. I went to bed last night so excited for the car but woke up this morning thinking the black optics on the Mythos is not for me. I have a white car with black trim now that I love, but I really like the silver contrast on the black.

It's too bad, I could have had a new SQ5 within weeks I think I will contact the dealer today to see if he has any other colour combos in port with similar options.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So, I told my dealer I wasn't interested in the Mythos Black / Black Optics package so he came back a few hours later and told me he located a 2015 Tecnik, Mythos Black, 21" wheels, navi/mmi, B&O, and Carbon atlas inlays. I managed to get a 5% discount, the papers are signed and it is on the boat and will receive it mid August.

I am excited but I'm now faced with the reality that I am saying goodbye to my 2011 335is coupe which I love. Oh well, I am excited for the larger vehicle and the quattro for these Canadian winters.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey good for you !

Pretty much the same car as mine (color aside). You'll love it.

It's going to be very different from your bimmer though. Enjoy it this summer!