Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI, Malone Stage 2 Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Q5 TDI, Malone Stage 2 Tune

We have been enjoying the very first ever Malone Stage 2 tune for Q5 TDI on our 2014. Thanks to Buzzken and Malone tuning for making our Audi perform from initial throttle application right up to redline.
Looking forward to taking the next step soon.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Malone Stage 2 Tune?

Can you explain it more?

Improvements?
Old 05-31-2015, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DanMontgomery
Malone Stage 2 Tune?

Can you explain it more?

Improvements?
Sure, Mark Malone has been producing performance tunes for VW TDI's for many years and has become one of the best know performance tuners for VW TDIs. I have a stage 2 Malone tune in my DD, a Golf SW and I have a stage 5 Malone tune in my 03 Jetta. When we purchased our Audi Q5 TDI we asked Ken (BuzzKen) in Markham Ontario if he could put a Malone Tune on it as well. The timing was good as it seems that Ken, and I assume Mark, were getting inquiries into a TDI tune for the Q5 so I offered to let them read my ECU and develop the tune. Turns out a simple stage 2 tune was not too difficult. So from ECU read to first ever Malone Q5 TDI tune was 3 days.

A stage 2 tune (not sure how Mark comes up with the numbers) really seems to improves off the line performance, the car jumps. The tune also improves fueling to allow smoother, stronger pulls right up to the red line. Of course this is all subjective but when my wife comes in from her drive to and from work today and comments on how nice the car pulls now... well, that's all that I need to know.

This stage 2 tune does not require any changes to your existing hardware. All current systems remain in place and are unaffected by the tune.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KSA63
Sure, Mark Malone has been producing performance tunes for VW TDI's for many years and has become one of the best know performance tuners for VW TDIs. I have a stage 2 Malone tune in my DD, a Golf SW and I have a stage 5 Malone tune in my 03 Jetta. When we purchased our Audi Q5 TDI we asked Ken (BuzzKen) in Markham Ontario if he could put a Malone Tune on it as well. The timing was good as it seems that Ken, and I assume Mark, were getting inquiries into a TDI tune for the Q5 so I offered to let them read my ECU and develop the tune. Turns out a simple stage 2 tune was not too difficult. So from ECU read to first ever Malone Q5 TDI tune was 3 days.

A stage 2 tune (not sure how Mark comes up with the numbers) really seems to improves off the line performance, the car jumps. The tune also improves fueling to allow smoother, stronger pulls right up to the red line. Of course this is all subjective but when my wife comes in from her drive to and from work today and comments on how nice the car pulls now... well, that's all that I need to know.

This stage 2 tune does not require any changes to your existing hardware. All current systems remain in place and are unaffected by the tune.
Does the tuning impact fuel economy one way or the other? Probably to soon to perceive, but I would be interested if you notice much change.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this thread is useless without a dyno chart and real #'s
Old 06-01-2015, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
this thread is useless without a dyno chart and real #'s
LOL . Not useless, just subjective. Based on past performance of Malone stage 2 tunes, I would suspect the gain in HP to be 25-40hp and torque to be 15-25lb/ft. BUT, as Coolieman1220 states, I can't say for certain till it runs on a dyno. Of course it probably would have been smart to do some baseline numbers too. I have never done a dyno run on my cars as I am quite comfortable that my seat of the pants impression is good enough for me. However, I may try to get this one done if I can find a good AWD Dyno somewhere nearby.

MattMan3104, driveability remains excellent and I do not anticipate any mileage changes for better of for worse. The major difference in mileage will occur in the next week or two as we enjoy using the tune, our mileage will of course worsen. Once we get used to the tune our mileage will likely normalize again. This has been my experience with the '13 Golf Sportwagon which is also tuned to a Stage 2 with no Deletes.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I haven't had the chance to drive the Q5 a lot since the tune as its my wife's DD and its mostly parked for 12 hours at a time while she's working but I can tell you a couple of things I have noticed.
It is really nice to be able to put your foot to the floor and NOT have the car start to run out of fuel at 3-3.5K RPM. It will keep pulling strong up to about 4-4.5K RPM before it shifts gears.
There has been a slight change in Mileage for the worse (as expected) due to enjoying the tune and playing a bit with the limits. I believe the mileage will get better once we have had gotten used to the new performance.
I have added a fuelly.com link to my signature if anyone is interested in the FE changes over time.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just got mine done at PG performance in Surrey BC. Thing hauls ***! just to let you all know I got some info of the power numbers and they are better than back in march...Looks like Mark has been hard at work on this tune. The new power ratings are 300hp get this, at the wheels! (so probably 340 at the crank) and torque is 487! thing is freaking fast now. Keep an eye on the speedo, i found the speed limiter very quick (only 135 mph). anyways. Can't wait for the buzzken/dpf delete. can only imagine how fast it will be. I know Audi claims 6.5 seconds. Would be cool if with the extra ponnies and the buzzken/dpf with the right rubber can take the time down to the low 5's ? would be sweeet!
Old 10-13-2016, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default TD1 void?

Great info here. My only concern is. Will this be pulled up by Audi when I take my car in for oil changes or any warranty related issue?
Old 10-13-2016, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by meeru911
Great info here. My only concern is. Will this be pulled up by Audi when I take my car in for oil changes or any warranty related issue?
Sir you are correct....is it when the deal codes your engine as a TD1. TD1 means your engine has been modified.

Check this thread out. I believe it is the same tune but gives you the ability to swap it back to stock.

JR Auto Tuning TDI Tune

V/r
Dan

Quick Reply: Q5 TDI, Malone Stage 2 Tune