Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rain sensor question

Old 10-31-2013, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josedebardi
I find I have to give a single manual wipe when first getting in the car.
I put it down to there being a film of water to start rather than drops for it to count and decide to wipe. Once there is a clear screen drops are easily counted from them on.
it will clear eventually...the sensor is connected to the vehicle speed as well. The faster you're going, the more often it will clear the window even if the rate of rainfall doesn't increase. Nothing wrong with the manual single wipe, but it will do it once you're moving a bit faster.

This thread in general is a PERFECT example of why actually reading the owner's manual of your new vehicle actually can make that new vehicle even cooler...
Old 10-31-2013, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gtwagon941
it will clear eventually...the sensor is connected to the vehicle speed as well. The faster you're going, the more often it will clear the window even if the rate of rainfall doesn't increase. Nothing wrong with the manual single wipe, but it will do it once you're moving a bit faster.

This thread in general is a PERFECT example of why actually reading the owner's manual of your new vehicle actually can make that new vehicle even cooler...

Amen to that. I've found when looking thru the manual for an answer to a question/issue that I often come across other information that is beneficial.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gtwagon941
it will clear eventually...the sensor is connected to the vehicle speed as well. The faster you're going, the more often it will clear the window even if the rate of rainfall doesn't increase. Nothing wrong with the manual single wipe, but it will do it once you're moving a bit faster. This thread in general is a PERFECT example of why actually reading the owner's manual of your new vehicle actually can make that new vehicle even cooler...
I got a copy of the manual 3 weeks before delivery - come hand over I knew more than the dealer :/

If I can see through the screen I will leave it to do its thing once up to ~10mph, however this is often not practical/dangerous! I am thinking of getting it treated with something that make the water bead/run off the glass so that you can see from the moment you start - I know there are 1000 options out there - any recommendations from people that have done this?