Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rim Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rim Protection?

Since, especially with the 21" wheels, "curb rash" is the bane of our existence, especially in city driving, has anyone ever seen or used this product? Hard to tell how it will look/work but not to much $$ so maybe?..https://www.alloygator.com/
Old 10-07-2016, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I see a bunch of asians where I live (I'm also asian) install these on their cars in an effort to minimize brutal curb rash...it helps because they absolutely suck at driving and parking (present company excluded of course). There are people that park down the street that have these and I laugh every time I walk past their cars because the rim protector is absolutely mangled - and sometime the wheel!

I would never install these on my car. I would just learn about the size of my vehicle and drive/park properly.

I have curbed wheels 2 times in my 21 years of driving. Both times were curb extensions from walls that I did not know where there. I knew I wasn't going to hit the wall but didn't know there were curbs that extended about 3ft from the wall. Still my own damn fault.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by samps
I see a bunch of asians where I live (I'm also asian) install these on their cars in an effort to minimize brutal curb rash...it helps because they absolutely suck at driving and parking (present company excluded of course). There are people that park down the street that have these and I laugh every time I walk past their cars because the rim protector is absolutely mangled - and sometime the wheel!

I would never install these on my car. I would just learn about the size of my vehicle and drive/park properly.

I have curbed wheels 2 times in my 21 years of driving. Both times were curb extensions from walls that I did not know where there. I knew I wasn't going to hit the wall but didn't know there were curbs that extended about 3ft from the wall. Still my own damn fault.
Funny...I am very careful with my SQ5 and the 21" wheels (the backup cam and, especially, downward adjusting mirrors are a huge help!) but I have rashed the right front a couple times because I came in at an angle...Especially at night, I end up a foot away from the curb...our curbs are super high here in LA...

Net-net, bad parkers though they may be, do these rim guards or whever they're called, seem to help a little? Do they look really bad on though?

thanks, man
Old 10-07-2016, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NealcpLA
Funny...I am very careful with my SQ5 and the 21" wheels (the backup cam and, especially, downward adjusting mirrors are a huge help!) but I have rashed the right front a couple times because I came in at an angle...Especially at night, I end up a foot away from the curb...our curbs are super high here in LA...

Net-net, bad parkers though they may be, do these rim guards or whever they're called, seem to help a little? Do they look really bad on though?

thanks, man
Honestly I think they look fine. Get silver or black and you can't even tell they're there.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by samps
Honestly I think they look fine. Get silver or black and you can't even tell they're there.
Yeah...was thinking black (I have some dark, matte grey aftermarket wheels)...almost tempted to try red...

I can't see how much they are per set from the site but they can't be that much...
Old 10-09-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NealcpLA
Yeah...was thinking black (I have some dark, matte grey aftermarket wheels)...almost tempted to try red...

I can't see how much they are per set from the site but they can't be that much...
I am also careful and still scraped a couple of my wheels, which is why this gets my attention to cover damage and prevent more.

Has anyone tried them out and used them for a while?

My concern is around them coming off in highway and damaging car paint.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sigq5
I am also careful and still scraped a couple of my wheels, which is why this gets my attention to cover damage and prevent more.

Has anyone tried them out and used them for a while?

My concern is around them coming off in highway and damaging car paint.
According to the accompanying video, they are pretty rigid, hard plastic. It shows you can supposedly scrape them down smooth with a knife if you do scuff them up at some point...And they require that you deflate your tires, install them and re-inflate so seem pretty substantial...will give them a shot and report back...
Old 10-09-2016, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

easy solution: better driver!
Old 10-09-2016, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I just installed something like those rim protectors last week. My OEM wheels came with curb rash from the previous owner and I used the protectors to cover the damage. I got mine from eBay for under $10 for 8 meters. It's soft, 8 mm wide silicone/rubber stuff that's stuck on with double sided tape. I heated the rim in the sun, cleaned the edge with alcohol, stuck it in place and pressed it down to set it.

Name:  100_1308_zpskq22ujqs.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  158.1 KB
Name:  100_1280_zpsce3psvv1.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  163.0 KB
The following users liked this post:
Rcsac (03-28-2024)
Old 10-10-2016, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nate704
easy solution: better driver!
That's funny if not altogether helpful...Not sure how you mean "better" but I am extremely careful in parking my car along the curbs here in LA which are at least 9" high...the point of the post is it would be helpful to be able to park with a little more confidence that, as careful as I am, my wheels may be better protected if I should err and get too close...

Quick Reply: Rim Protection?