Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rim Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I just installed something like those rim protectors last week. My OEM wheels came with curb rash from the previous owner and I used the protectors to cover the damage. I got mine from eBay for under $10 for 8 meters. It's soft, 8 mm wide silicone/rubber stuff that's stuck on with double sided tape. I heated the rim in the sun, cleaned the edge with alcohol, stuck it in place and pressed it down to set it.

I love that red color! I actually ordered a set of both the red and the black. My strategy is to install one of each and decide whether I like that contract, as you have, or prefer them to b, essentially, "invisible"...but, I must say; I like these contrasting reds alot...do they seem to work? Have you brushed up against any curbs since they were installed and they protected from damage?...
Old 10-10-2016, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NealcpLA
I love that red color! I actually ordered a set of both the red and the black. My strategy is to install one of each and decide whether I like that contract, as you have, or prefer them to b, essentially, "invisible"...but, I must say; I like these contrasting reds alot...
I chose the red to go with the red calipers and "Supercharged" badge. I used red reflective motorcycle wheel tape to dress up my snow tire wheels. They were too plain to be rolling on all winter.

Plain snow tire rims
Name:  101_0120_zpsxkdzftgs.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  106.2 KB

Red tape
Name:  101_0234_zpsmcuzfrmn.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  135.8 KB

do they seem to work? Have you brushed up against any curbs since they were installed and they protected from damage?...
I haven't curb tested them and most likely never will. My DWS06's poke out 5mm pass the rim and the red trim is about 3mm. The previous owner was from Yonkers, parked by feel and the right side rims showed it. Any trim will give some protection from curb rash but I wouldn't expect miracles.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I like the idea of the cheap ones from eBay. No, they won't be as durable.
But there's no expensive dealer installation, no unmounting the tires, no interfering with the rim surface seal. No expensive remakes if they are damaged. No puzzling some tire guy in West Podunk if you get a flat there and need it fixed, and he says "I never seen one a these afore." And his tools don't play nice with it?

With either kind I have to wonder if having the tires rebalanced really should be considered...another fast fifty in someone else's pocket.

Funny thing, Q5 OEM wheels (in any condition) are damned hard to find in the junk yards!
Old 10-17-2016, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redd
I like the idea of the cheap ones from eBay. No, they won't be as durable.
But there's no expensive dealer installation, no unmounting the tires, no interfering with the rim surface seal. No expensive remakes if they are damaged. No puzzling some tire guy in West Podunk if you get a flat there and need it fixed, and he says "I never seen one a these afore." And his tools don't play nice with it?

With either kind I have to wonder if having the tires rebalanced really should be considered...another fast fifty in someone else's pocket.

Funny thing, Q5 OEM wheels (in any condition) are damned hard to find in the junk yards!
Would you guys mind reporting back in a few weeks after you ran your tires in highway for a while?
Thank you
Old 10-17-2016, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if a rubber/plastic strip can help prevent curb rash, does that mean the material is strong enough to push the wheel back from the curb when compressed?

i did notice when i had plastidipped wheels, there was one instance i came a little too close to the curb - thought i had damaged the rims but the plastidip actually seemed enough to prevent any curb rash.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I wouldn't expect the plastic to push back the wheel. I would expect the plastic to get chewed up and sacrificed, so if you are moving slowly you'd hear the scraping and stop before you chewed up the metal as well. But a good solid scrape? Should chew the plastic right off and continue to eat the rim.

Sigg, I'm not planning to install either one. I'll just install some of those retro '50's curb feelers instead.(G)
Old 10-17-2016, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redd
I wouldn't expect the plastic to push back the wheel. I would expect the plastic to get chewed up and sacrificed, so if you are moving slowly you'd hear the scraping and stop before you chewed up the metal as well. But a good solid scrape? Should chew the plastic right off and continue to eat the rim.

Sigg, I'm not planning to install either one. I'll just install some of those retro '50's curb feelers instead.(G)
Redd
I really enjoyed your post, and had to explain to my wife why I was smiling (which shows my limitations).
To the 50's retro look, you may want to consider colors and LEDs to choose from. Just send me a set after you make the first million.
Sorry, could not resist. It has been a while since I have seen them.
Wishing you well.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

IIRC there was a choice of one color in the 50's: Chrome!

And I have no memory of whether they ever sold lighted versions. You wouldn't want the tip lit, since that could scratch. But a green/yellow/red/blue "jewel" with a tungsten bulb in in would be very 50's, they were used as indicator lights in all sorts of things, even those big computer-things that the government had.(G)