Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Seatbelt Buckle

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelt Buckle

Anyone else hate how freakishly long the front seatbelt buckles are?? Is there a shorter OE version from another model that can be easily swapped??
Attached Thumbnails Seatbelt Buckle-q5seatbelt.jpg  
Old 02-22-2017, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IRogue
Anyone else hate how freakishly long the front seatbelt buckles are?? Is there a shorter OE version from another model that can be easily swapped??
Mine aren't that long. They only just stick up over the seat cushion.

The velcro thing on the buckle is there to prevent it from scratching the center console I believe, and what good is it when siting that high up?

Cheers
Old 02-23-2017, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can folks post up pics of their seatbelt buckles....I am wondering if the wrong part was installed. I know that they ran out of the correct license plate lights for my car...I have a volkswagen connector.....(my '17 build was at the very end of Dec in Germany)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine looks the same as yours(2015)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's the correct one, it's the same in my 2014 (stalk up the the top of the seat cushion, end of the receptacle comes to the armrest, velcro aligns with the top of the plastic console cover by the cupholders). It sticks up so it's easy to push the buckle into the receptacle as the top of it should be right by your hip instead of being down at the seat cushion level or something where you might have to shove your hand between yourself and the center console or something where it's more awkward.

Could be a "fat Americans" configuration if Daniel's RoW Q5 has the receptacle down at seat cushion level, and that would at least mean there should be the option of switching out (just need to figure out the part number of the RoW version). My hips are fairly wide (regardless of any excess weight I might have at the time) and I've got large hands, so I certainly appreciate not having to jam my hand down to buckle up. YMMV.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yeah the Q5 seatbelt receptacle is well engineered.I base that on the fact that I've never had a passenger have even the slightest difficulty dealing with it on their own ! Can't say the same for other cars I've owned.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by idale
That's the correct one, it's the same in my 2014 (stalk up the the top of the seat cushion, end of the receptacle comes to the armrest, velcro aligns with the top of the plastic console cover by the cupholders). It sticks up so it's easy to push the buckle into the receptacle as the top of it should be right by your hip instead of being down at the seat cushion level or something where you might have to shove your hand between yourself and the center console or something where it's more awkward.

Could be a "fat Americans" configuration if Daniel's RoW Q5 has the receptacle down at seat cushion level, and that would at least mean there should be the option of switching out (just need to figure out the part number of the RoW version). My hips are fairly wide (regardless of any excess weight I might have at the time) and I've got large hands, so I certainly appreciate not having to jam my hand down to buckle up. YMMV.
This is my slim European version as opposed to your fat american one

Old 08-02-2017, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

^I much prefer the sleaker look of the Euro-spec/ROW version...I hate fat america and the manufacturers who pander to them.....
Old 08-04-2017, 04:19 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 6' 1" 185 lbs

and I love how easy this is to buckle in! One handed, no fishing.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rez
and I love how easy this is to buckle in! One handed, no fishing.
I agree but it just so darn fugly sticking up so prominently.....I would prefer to "fumble" a bit and have it at the proper level.....