Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Seeking Current 3.0T Experience With ChipWerke Tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking Current 3.0T Experience With ChipWerke Tune

New to the forum and new to Audi. Just bought a new Q5 3.0T. I don't want a TD1 code during warranty, so I've been looking at ChipWerke and some other "piggy back" tunes until I get out of warranty and can go with APR.

I've spent quite a bit of time reading the various (and long) threads here about the Chipwerke 3.0T box and other "piggyback" tunes, including datalogs, drag strip results and dyno numbers. I've done that homework. I still have some lingering doubts and questions.

What I can't find is how the tune is for daily driving in its current release. It seems that Chipwerke has made changes over time. It seems that some of the complaints about part throttle smoothness and shifting lag have been resolved. It is unclear if the current version has an issue with wanting to shift early in lower gears, and whether the box is throwing codes that need to be evaluated and possibly resolved before clearing.

What is the present experience for Q5 3.0T users with the current Chipwerke Pro box? Is there anything to report negative based on present daily driver type use?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Me too

Originally Posted by MSQ5
New to the forum and new to Audi. Just bought a new Q5 3.0T. I don't want a TD1 code during warranty, so I've been looking at ChipWerke and some other "piggy back" tunes until I get out of warranty and can go with APR.

I've spent quite a bit of time reading the various (and long) threads here about the Chipwerke 3.0T box and other "piggyback" tunes, including datalogs, drag strip results and dyno numbers. I've done that homework. I still have some lingering doubts and questions.

What I can't find is how the tune is for daily driving in its current release. It seems that Chipwerke has made changes over time. It seems that some of the complaints about part throttle smoothness and shifting lag have been resolved. It is unclear if the current version has an issue with wanting to shift early in lower gears, and whether the box is throwing codes that need to be evaluated and possibly resolved before clearing.

What is the present experience for Q5 3.0T users with the current Chipwerke Pro box? Is there anything to report negative based on present daily driver type use?

Thanks for your feedback.
I would also be interested in hearing result of latest versions in everyday circumstances.

Cheers
Old 02-17-2017, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have it and loved it. I am, however, selling due to a friend selling a stage 2 EPL tune with pulley for an amazing price. The power is amazing to say at least comparing to stock. I don't have any codes since having it and had it about 4 months now. Believe me, there's is NO negative. The shifting is something something I didn't notice something out of ordinary. Maybe it's just me as I have the Q5 for 5 months.

Q3/Q5/Q7 Classifieds
Old 02-20-2017, 04:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I've ordered it and will report back on results.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

MSQ5 , any word on how it's going for you?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, the results are positive in one sense and "mixed" in another. My early conclusion is that there is absolutely no doubt that the CW chip does significantly increase power. 60-100 mph times are a full two seconds better on the same road in the same direction.

I'm not sure that 0-60 times are improved. If so, maybe a tenth or two. There are too many variables and one of them will be explained below.

The "mixed" part of my experience is that there is definitely some roughness in the way the tune relates to throttle position and transmission gear selection. At very light throttle it is quite smooth in both "D" and "S". At intermediate throttle positions, depending on speed and gear, upshifts can be either abrupt or can have hesitation.

I've driven it long enough, including adjusting the settings for when the CW chip begins to alter the voltage curve from the MAP sensors to when it stops. These, for my 3.0T on 93 octane have been tested from "3" through "5". I subjectively think it is a bit smoother at part throttle at "3" which would be the 91 octane setting, but it clearly makes more power at "5". I'll probably leave it there.

Is this an optimal tune? No. Far from it. It lacks the sophistication one would expect from a full tune designed to take into consideration fueling and transmission shifting needs at intermediate throttle positions where the transmission will shift well before red line.

Is it what it represents itself to be? Mostly so. If you want a definite bump in power and can live with some part throttle and early transmission shift abruptness or hesitation, it is a reasonable choice.

There is only so much a chip can do that is purely functioning on modification of MAP pressure voltage. This does keep all safety systems in place, but its inability to adapt to part throttle and low rpm transmission shifting makes it less than optimal.

I will probably go with APR, GIAC or EPL at some point. For now, it serves my needs.

If I were to give advice to Chipwerke, I'd say that there needs to be some sort of additional simple capability to activate it only at wide open throttle. There are a number of inexpensive ways that could be done through a sensor that would switch it on and off based on throttle position. Anything condition less than WOT should be sending the true MAP sensor voltage to the ECU.

I still do not have datalogging capability on this Audi. My logging software is not VAG compatible. As soon as I can get that, I'll know more.

I will stay with this for a while until mileage builds up more before risking a TD1 from Audi.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Nice report, thank you!