Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Shock & Horror, damage to my dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Regarding the dash problem...
A suggestion would be to try 'Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean' or '303 Aerospace Protectant'. Both are safe and good for leather and vinyl for cleaning, restoration and long term protection.

A search will give you plenty of opinions and correct instructions for use..
Old 10-23-2016, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I wouldn't criticize Audi's materials because some no-name plastic damaged them. There has been a long-standing problem with "rubber" goods made especially in China with no supervision. All sorts of formulas are used for the product and there's no way to tell what you are getting, until it either degrades or not.

For instance, butyl rubber used in WW2 aircraft tires is often still good, good enough so they still look useable. But the suction mount on my brand-name GPS holder turned to goo in just two or three years. Goo, literally. And the brand0name rubber isolation mat on my old turntable had turned into a mass of tar in about 15.

But, the no-name locally made foam rubber in some furniture cushions (bought at the foam factory) was perfectly good 30 years later.

Meanwhile the "antislip" pad I had to keep a cell phone from sliding around on the dash or console? Hardened up and cracked into a dozen pieces in two years.

So suction cups and the like have to be considered suspect, because even when you buy form a brand name company, THEY have bought it from someone else, who has probably sourced it from a third party, and no one really knows what was used to make the stuff. Untill it is too late. Brand names tend to pay more care in finding a supplier and staying with them--but you just never know. Suction cups on soft plastic, where there are plasticizers in both materials? Or on porous leather? Roll the dice.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update

Keep getting pms about this so thought I'd update.

Get Lexol vinyl protectant. Spray it on a wax applicator, then rub it in deeply by massaging the area very hard with your thumbs for about five minutes. Then let it sit in the sun a while after. Did this over a couple of months and it's hardly visible. I'm the only one that even sees it.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Unfortunately ran into a similar issue as you. I used a dash mount and it left a residue. It wasn't a suction mount so there is no indentation. Did Goo Gone help with removing the residue or did the Lexol work better in the end? I almost think it's not a adhesive residue, but rather that the vinyl got stripped by the suction. If it's the latter not sure if I can do anything.