Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Remote link to seat settings

Old 08-24-2013, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote link to seat settings

Is anyone else frustrated by how this DOESN'T work? My wife's remote quit responding to her settings. We got out the manual and followed the instructions several times to no avail. My remote worked fine.

We finally went back to the dealer and our salesperson had the same result. So, he tried all kinds of things that were NOT in the owners manual: using the key manually (rather the smart key), moving the car (reverse, drive), etc. Somehow it finally managed to start working. Neither I nor the salesperson are exactly sure why it decided to start working.

Audi remote/seat memory has always been frustratingly difficult for us.

Anybody got any great tips? This drove me nuts in our S4. Was hoping that Audi would have done better in the new Q5.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Several common denominators:

Sounds like you have keyless/comfort access? Either way, try:

1. Fresh batteries; when in doubt, change 'em. Comfort access is also more battery intensive.

2. Stick remote in slot/ignition periodically. Never really made a difference for me on Audis, but on Minis (BMW system) it is a sometimes fix for basic function issues--and they don't have remote or even power seats.

3. Think about RFI; Audi remotes are definitely sensitive to it for keyless. For guys if the remote is in same pocket as a phone, a frequent problem. I have seen that for years on my A8. For women, if the key is jumbled in there w/ stuff in a purse--a very likely scenario--recipe for problems. Really need to keep them separate; the phone is the polluter culprit here is general. And now w/ more gadgets, watch out for cellular iPads or other tablets or other things with various types of broadcastng radios (and thus RFI) built in.

4. For seats specifically, sometimes working the on-off switch for the memory functions on the drivers door seems to have some effect. Press it several times. I used to see this more on my 2000 A6 when it was my daily driver--has remote seat memory but no keyless access or ignition. Also has memory for the electric steering column, and pressing the kill button off and on there would sometimes get it back in shape. 13 years later, the memory and remote stuff actually still more or less works.

Net, most of my better or worse experiences are somewhere at the intersection of 1 & 3. Sometimes #4 on my old Audi. I try to remember to do #2 w/ keyless systems occasionally just in case.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-24-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

The other thing is the settings are saved on lock...
So if you open the car and then your wife locks it her key will remember your seat position...
As long as the person that last drove locks the car (and you don't have both keys near each other at the time) then it should work fine.

This fact is pointed out in the manual, but it wasn't until I was in the same situation as you and couldn't work out why my other halves key kept getting my seat position (was because I kept locking the car after she drove).

I wonder if your dealer was unaware of this and so randomly playing with it eventually ended up with them locking the car with her key in her position and so it worked...
Old 08-24-2013, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Video form Audi America

http://www.youtube.com/user/AudiofAmerica/videos
http://www.audiusa.com/help/video-tutorials

Last edited by spijun; 08-24-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
Is anyone else frustrated by how this DOESN'T work? My wife's remote quit responding to her settings. We got out the manual and followed the instructions several times to no avail. My remote worked fine.

We finally went back to the dealer and our salesperson had the same result. So, he tried all kinds of things that were NOT in the owners manual: using the key manually (rather the smart key), moving the car (reverse, drive), etc. Somehow it finally managed to start working. Neither I nor the salesperson are exactly sure why it decided to start working.

Audi remote/seat memory has always been frustratingly difficult for us.

Anybody got any great tips? This drove me nuts in our S4. Was hoping that Audi would have done better in the new Q5.
Ours doesn't work either. My A4 was the same and I also hoped Audi would address the problem, but must not be important enough. This will keep us from buying another Audi.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

While I agree the ergonomics of the design are not great (my BMW had the same feature and 'just worked') as I experienced the same issue as the OP and found that there is a quirk to HOW you use it to make it work (that is to say it is in the manual and unless you realise it saves on lock then essentially it is user error). I would suggest you try my solution before saying bit plain 'doesn't work'.

Seems a VERY minor point to stop you buying Audi again!?

Also, the A4/Q5 are basically the same car underneath so will share they same electronics including this feature.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Works fine on our '14 SQ5 prestige that we just took delivery of last week. As soon as I grab my door handle and open the driver's door, it automatically adjusts the seat and mirrors to my settings. Then if my gf opens the driver's door with her own key fob, it does the same thing for her with her own settings. It didn't work like that at first until I discovered my own user error (mentioned below) and after I remembered a few details about how to properly set it from when I had the same issue of trying to get it work with our former '10 Q5 prestige, which basically worked the same way. The manual isn't very clear with it, but like josedebardi said, the details are all there:

For the steps below, I even went as far as leaving the other key fob about 20 feet away from the car while I set each fob.

1) unlock door via handle grab (or fob) and enter car
2) actually insert key fob into dash receptacle and start car (accessory mode is probably enough too)
3) set seat and side mirror settings where you want it
4) make sure the seat memory OFF button on the door is not lit
5) press the SET button on the driver door, then press the memory button you want the settings saved to (1 or 2)
6) via MMI, set the following: CAR --> CAR SYSTEMS -> VEHICLE SETTINGS -> SEATS -> REMOTE CONTROL -> ON
7) remove key fob from receptacle, exit the car and lock the car with your fob (or by touching the button on the door handle while the proper fob is on your person) - this saves the settings to that specific fob
8) Rinse and repeat with the other fob to remember different settings (but remember to keep the other fob away from the car)

Here's an example of user error that I encountered (that you might too): when I set the 2nd fob, I used my own seat setting AGAIN because I was sitting in the car and wondered why the hell my gf's settings weren't being saved on that fob LOL. Took 2 tries and lots of cursing before I realized I was being an idiot by setting the same settings for both fobs which is why it wasn't changing seat settings.

Anyhow, all the above steps has worked perfectly for our 2014. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by josedebardi
While I agree the ergonomics of the design are not great (my BMW had the same feature and 'just worked') as I experienced the same issue as the OP and found that there is a quirk to HOW you use it to make it work (that is to say it is in the manual and unless you realise it saves on lock then essentially it is user error). I would suggest you try my solution before saying bit plain 'doesn't work'.

Seems a VERY minor point to stop you buying Audi again!?

Also, the A4/Q5 are basically the same car underneath so will share they same electronics including this feature.
The settings that my wife and I use are so far apart that this is always a must have feature. It is very hard foe me to get into the front seat using her settings. It wouldn't be as bad if you could open the door and press the button you want, but we have to hold the button down until the adjustments are completed.

I Have read the manual and followed the programming steps which are the same as what "larryv" has listed. So at this time I am saying "doesn't work".

My next step is to try the dealer again.

I also realize the A4/Q5 are very close.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SeaBlue
It wouldn't be as bad if you could open the door and press the button you want, but we have to hold the button down until the adjustments are completed.
Seat adjustment should be one-touch if the door is open. Yours doesn't act that way?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 81Coupe
Seat adjustment should be one-touch if the door is open. Yours doesn't act that way?
If I'm sitting in the seat with the ignition on one push works some of the time. When unlocking the door to enter one push doesn't work.

Yesterday I reset both keys again but didn't solve the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote link to seat settings