Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

A simple oil change at Audi Arlington

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default A simple oil change at Audi Arlington

I took my Q5 TDI for its 25,000 mile service (22,000 to be precise). I have Audi Care.

I picked up my car and on the way home, the low oil message came on. When I checked the MMI, it would not show the level, instead instructing me to drive to the dealer, which I did.

I told my Service Advisor what had happened and asked him how this could happen. He said that the technician made a mistake...WTF? Jiffy Lube makes mistakes, but a simple oil change at a major Audi dealer should not be a problem. When I got home I checked the MMI and it showed the oil level at "min". When I took it in it showed "max". I checked the dipstick (one I purchased) and it looks as if there is sufficient oil.

I got an email from my Service Advisor asking me to complete the satisfaction surgery and explaining that any score less than a 10 is not good. I sent him an email last night stating my disappointment with the service I received and asked him to call me to discuss it.

I would like to ask other forum members for your feedback as I am sure this has happened to others.

Thanks...
Old 10-28-2016, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The sensors can give wonky info immediately following an oil change. I've had it happen several times when departing the dealer. With subsequent checks, I found the oil level to be spot on, as you have.

FWIW, the vehicles must log some miles before you'll get a reliable reading in the MMI.

Do you feel you should penalize your dealer when there's nothing wrong, Barraged?
Old 10-28-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Barraged
He said that the technician made a mistake......
So what exactly was the mistake? I can't exactly tell from your post.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for the explanation regarding the oil level sensor... I was not aware of this...would have been helpful if the Service Advisor told me what you did. The Service Advisor stated that the tech made a mistake in not checking for the proper oil level, that is what I was referring to in my OP. I will check the MMI today to see if it gives me a different reading...thanks again.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I got my first 5000mi service at the dealer, the tech put too much oil, so I took it back and they had to take some out.
So, the bottom line is, do you own oil change and save time, money, and frustration.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The dealer tends to over-fill, IME. My warning messages have always been about too much oil, not too little. You should question/verify what the car is telling you when you get messages like that. If you have the correct dipstick, that' clearly a good double-check.

Every time the hood is opened on these cars, it re-starts the oil level validation process. It's checking the level all the time. I think it may take 100 kms of driving to get a good reading.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

What you experienced is perfectly normal!

You need to drive the vehicle a few miles (up to 30) sometimes, and start/stop the engine.

Other times it resets immediately.

This is outlined in Audi's Service self-study training programs.

My friend has a repair shop and when he changes oil in a Audi/VW he informs the owner that the correct oil level will show up in a day or two.

Yes your dealer is well aware of this and should have informed you of it.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
What you experienced is perfectly normal!

You need to drive the vehicle a few miles (up to 30) sometimes, and start/stop the engine.

Other times it resets immediately.

This is outlined in Audi's Service self-study training programs.

My friend has a repair shop and when he changes oil in a Audi/VW he informs the owner that the correct oil level will show up in a day or two.

Yes your dealer is well aware of this and should have informed you of it.
Bob, thank you for this Information. The dealer called me back a few minutes ago, apologized for their mistake and asked me to bring my car back to have the 25,000 mile service redone... told me that a new service tech worked on my car.
I'll bring it back and have them try again and will also mention what you had said about the MMI sometimes taking several days to indicate what the oil evel really is... another example of technology getting in its own way...
Old 10-28-2016, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Bob-
What's with the delay? Most sensors would indicate the oil level "now" in real time, or whenever they were polled for it. Don't tell me that Audi is so over-engineered that the oil sensor takes a 24-hour average to detect anything, rather than showing a problem (like an oil leak) in real time?!
Old 10-28-2016, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Redd, good point... every sensor that I am aware of provides "instant" feedback. If it doesn't, it's either broken or some other process is delaying the feedback. Audi certainly has their own ways of doing things, so it would not surprise me that they are doing something funky... Hope it's not OilGate..

Quick Reply: A simple oil change at Audi Arlington