Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Snow - a little dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob ,
What tires came on your car? Michelin latitude?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=audimaxout;24532523]yeah I guess it would be the ABS not ESP working. The ABS seems to be really sensitive .QUOTE]

What do you mean by sensitive? Are you referring that when you stop hard in snow, the ABS seems somewhat ineffective since they lock up and release so quickly? I wasn't sure if it was just my vehicle or not but I have to actually pump the brakes if I want to stop and avoid the ABS kicking in. If the ABS does kick in, it literally feels like I'm not hitting my brakes at all. Just to be clear, this is just when the roads are snow covered. Is anybody else experiencing this? I was going to bring this up to the service department this week when I go in for my 5,000 mile service.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tires plays the main roll in the winter even if we have the AWD system. AWD system is usually just for a little help if your stuck in snow. It will not stop you from sliding around or lose traction. I can go about 60mph in a snow storm in Boston with no issue on stock tires. just once I get off the highway my car would slip a bit. make sure the tire pressure is at the proper inflation. You should be good Bob.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=jcutchall;24532600]
Originally Posted by audimaxout
yeah I guess it would be the ABS not ESP working. The ABS seems to be really sensitive .QUOTE]

What do you mean by sensitive? Are you referring that when you stop hard in snow, the ABS seems somewhat ineffective since they lock up and release so quickly? I wasn't sure if it was just my vehicle or not but I have to actually pump the brakes if I want to stop and avoid the ABS kicking in. If the ABS does kick in, it literally feels like I'm not hitting my brakes at all. Just to be clear, this is just when the roads are snow covered. Is anybody else experiencing this? I was going to bring this up to the service department this week when I go in for my 5,000 mile service.
That's definitely a problem. It shouldn't make noise and not stop. And the purpose of ABS is to keep your wheels from locking up. The whole idea is to release pressure as soon as a wheel stops turning and then reapply it which maximizes stopping power under those conditions. I was on a downhill of solid ice covered by a half inch of snow about three weeks ago and hit the brakes. The ABS came on but I was amazed at how fast my A6 stopped. That's what's supposed to happen.

You have to have the right tires. There are many good ones. I have been happy with Michelin X-Ice and Bridgestone Blizzaks. A lot of people up here claim that Nokians are the best. I don't buy high performance tires for winter driving and if you look at the numbers those tires do not have the traction and ice-stopping of the some less expensive snow tires. The reason for going into this is if the ABS is triggering and the car isn't stopping one immediately suspects the tires. But do ask your service dept. and let us know what they say.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jcutchall
What I meant by sensitive is that the ABS is working very often if I brake hard; when coming to a stop. I assume it is the ABS kicking in, but theres no warning that show up in the dashboard. I can feel the brakes bumping to a stop, feels like a hard vibration on the brakes.(when there is snow)

I first notice this issue when I hard A/S tires kumho esta 4x and snow/slush on the ground. I thought there wasnt enough traction, thats why I switched to Blizzaks dmv1. I definitely feel more confident in handling with winter tires, but the ABS still kicks in very often.
Maybe I just have to slowly apply pressure to the brakes when coming to a stop.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love the way my stock Q5 2.0 performs in the snow. (Michelin Latitude Tour HP 235/60/18)

I have had the car a little over a year now and love the control in the snow. We have had everything from packed snow and ice to 20 inches of snow (yesterday). My Q5 is point-and-go with nice control under breaking. I take the long way home and look for non-plowed roads!

Remember that AWD systems require a bit if different driving style. If you are sliding out in a turn giving gas work better then breaking or coasting.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/audi8.shtml

Also, You should feel ABS in the break peddle that means its working. It works better then anything you can do in emergency situations. Learn to work with it and control any reactions in direction and steering.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:33 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

X2 on the "either on the gas or on the brakes". I've actually done some testing on an icy side road and could easily spin the car through 270 or even completely around 360 degrees by simply turning the wheel sharply and giving it a bit of gas then completely coming off the gas (the road really was glare ice). Spin could be stopped almost immediately by getting on the brakes or by simply staying a bit on the gas - you could actually hear the systems working whereas the car was essentially silent if you just came back off the throttle. Speeds I was using were around 15-20km/hr (approx. 10 to 15 mph) as I recall. Did this last winter to test the winter tires I'd just put on and was pretty disappointed initially till I did some research and testing out the braking and using power techniques. I'm running Bridgestone DM V1 winters on 18" rims bought from Tire Rack.

Originally Posted by zeus48
I love the way my stock Q5 2.0 performs in the snow. (Michelin Latitude Tour HP 235/60/18)

I have had the car a little over a year now and love the control in the snow. We have had everything from packed snow and ice to 20 inches of snow (yesterday). My Q5 is point-and-go with nice control under breaking. I take the long way home and look for non-plowed roads!

Remember that AWD systems require a bit if different driving style. If you are sliding out in a turn giving gas work better then breaking or coasting.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/audi8.shtml

Also, You should feel ABS in the break peddle that means its working. It works better then anything you can do in emergency situations. Learn to work with it and control any reactions in direction and steering.

Last edited by rez; 01-22-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ssteigss
Bob ,
What tires came on your car? Michelin latitude?
Sorry for the delay.

Yes, that's them!

Bob
Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Sorry for the delay.

Yes, that's them!

Bob
Not surprised at all. These are by far the worse tire in ANY snow. I fully realize they are not snow tires but there should be a minimal amount of traction. Braking even at slow speeds results in sliding with ABS firing away to no avail. Also fishtailing around turns no matter how slow im going. My wife's CX9 ( big, heavy suv)with all season Toyo tires is having no issues in same conditions. You will find many new Jeep Grand Cherokee owners having same issue with these tires.

Last edited by ssteigss; 01-23-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ssteigss
Not surprised at all. These are by far the worse tire in ANY snow. I fully realize they are not snow tires but there should be a minimal amount of traction. Breaking even at slow speeds results in sliding with ABS firing away to no avail. Also fishtailing around turns no matter how slow im going. My wife's CX9 ( big, heavy suv)with all season Toyo tires is having no issues in same conditions. You will find many new Jeep Grand Cherokee owners having same issue with these tires.
Well, that's comforting news! LOL

Bob

Quick Reply: Snow - a little dissapointed