Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 ECU vagaries

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If driving like this is important to you why didn't you check this on your test drive?
Old 06-11-2014, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<<<@!1!@>>>

No. Clutch is barely necessary today. They use left foot nearly exclusively for braking.

This video is old, but the first I found
Old 06-12-2014, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under normal driving conditions, you should only drive with one foot.

Comparing driving on public roads to driving a rally car off road in a race is just silly.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdBrew
Under normal driving conditions, you should only drive with one foot.

Comparing driving on public roads to driving a rally car off road in a race is just silly.
True enough. For those who feel that that their car should be driven on public roads like in a rally race, they should find a better place to put that second foot.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

You guys.... LOL. Nobody here is suggesting that anyone drive like that on public roads. It always amuses me how one's personal experience limits the view to potential use by others.

All I was saying is that left foot braking is a legit technique. ...Even for straight-up track use (not just WRC) to adjust balance and weight transfer in corners and such.

Nowhere do I expect a "soccer mom" would (or maybe should...) drive rally style on the way to dropping the kids at practice. But... the SQ5 specifically, and one could argue the Q5 in general, is advertised and directed as a handling, alternative use vehicle. People will, have, and currently are going to take these things to the track despite maybe being imperfect in many ways for track use. For that, Stability control, overly strict traction control, prohibited use of controls in general, is a nuisance. Selling a 60k vehicle as a slightly oversized pocket rocket, capable of smoking all others in class, and then hampering it's ability to be same is what's called in to question.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha, you can accelerate faster than a some vehicules, and then brake harder than some...but can't do both at the same time vs others ;-)

My conclusion to this story.

Funny though that they electronically shutter the gas
Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
People will, have, and currently are going to take these things to the track.
Well, proper track rats often have their ECU programming reflashed to suit the track needs better. Maybe there is a tuner out there who can figure out how to reprogram Q5's ECU to get rid of some of these nannies.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Well, proper track rats often have their ECU programming reflashed to suit the track needs better. Maybe there is a tuner out there who can figure out how to reprogram Q5's ECU to get rid of some of these nannies.
Yep. APR and GIAC tunes already get rid of it so there you go!

From APR on the 3.0T tune:

"Left Foot Braking:
APR's Left Foot Braking feature allows more control over the vehicle’s throttle. The factory equipped vehicle's throttle input is disabled while pressing the accelerator and brake at the same time. Left Foot Braking, a common motorsport driving technique, allows the driver complete control over the vehicle’s throttle and braking system, which may give the vehicle the edge it needs at the track. "
Old 06-12-2014, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfect! Sounds like that's what the OP is looking for.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My SQ5 allows me to power-break for launching. Is it just the regular Q5's that experience this issue?
On another note; I understand the litigiousness, but why can't soccer mom leave it in comfort mode, where it should be disabled, and not in dynamic mode?
I also understand the foot issue. I always only use one foot, but I do use my left for the brake on the track. Although, I haven't had the SQ5 on the track...gotta try it.

Quick Reply: SQ5 ECU vagaries