Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2011 Q5 2.0T mysterious FIRE!!!!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Q5 2.0T mysterious FIRE!!!!

Hello Guys

I just got home from a long ordeal when I was out in New York City tonight. As I was parked near the south street seaport, waiting for my passenger to come down from their apartment, My new 2011 Audi Q5 2.0T mysterious caught on fire. I was sitting in the car, called them to let them know that I have arrived downstairs, parked the car and after the phone call, 2 bystanders walking by started yelling that my car was on fire. I was shocked, so I quickly turned off the car and Originally I thought that they were kidding, cause its a brand new car. It cannot happen, so as i walked out i was shocked to see that a small fire has started right below my right headlight, and I saw that the bumper area around that light was starting to melt. A few seconds later as I ran into my car to get my phone to call 911, the radiator and other parts of the front bumper was on fire. As I was on the phone with the Fire Department, telling them my location, the tires pop, Everyone ducked thinking the car would explode. The flames was engulfing the entire front end of the car, bumper, and hood, everything was on fire.

A the fire trucks showed up, the radiator blew, and luckly the FDNY was only 2 blocks away so they got there really quick and put out the fire. The FDNY guy said it has to be something electrical that sparked the fire. I have no idea, and will wait until the investigations comes back.

I am way too tired right now, so as I sleep this off and count my blessings that it wasn't worse, I could have been trapped in the car. I will post pictures of the after math tomorrow morning.

My question is, has anyone experienced this or heard of someone's Audi burn out of nowhere. I was parked, not even moving, I was not smoking, all of a sudden the front end was on fire.

Jackie
Old 03-12-2011, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kidd07

My question is, has anyone experienced this or heard of someone's Audi burn out of nowhere. I was parked, not even moving, I was not smoking, all of a sudden the front end was on fire.

Jackie
WOW!. Awful news man. Never heard of anything like this before. Hopefully, it's totalled and you can just start from scratch and not have to deal with electrical, mechanical and body repairs due to the heat and SMOKE. Your car will likely never smell, or run the same as it once did. I'd have waited a few minutes before calling the FD just to make sure that it's nice and toasty before notifying the insurance company. If you've never modded this car electrically in any way then this is nothing "short" of a factory defect. Ins. can fight it out with Audi. Very sorry to hear and I hope you're made whole quickly. Hey, SMILE, you're still alive and car shopping can be FUN!
Old 03-12-2011, 04:56 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Unreal!!! Pictures, yes please! Wonder what Audi's diagnosis will be? - please keep us updated.
In 1987 something similar happened to me. I had a VW Golf and when I stopped at a traffic light, I noticed smoke coming from the front of the car. I immediately pulled to the side, yanked the hood open and was met by flames! The gas line ran right over the engine and had chafed through. Instinctively I literally "blew the fire out" and was left with peeling paint on the inside of my hood and some melted hoses. There was a repair shop across the road, so I got it fixed on the spot, kept the car for 5 more years
Old 03-12-2011, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Jackie, thank god you were not in the car.
And did not get hurt

Pictures please

Thanks BCD-1
Old 03-12-2011, 05:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here are the pictures that i promised, i dont have any of the actual fire, i was using the phone to call 911, this is the aftermath. I really do hope that no one has to ever go through this. Out of nowhere your car on fire. Luckly i was not on the highway, or with kids in the car.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm going to say completely totaled. No way that car can be fixed for what its worth. Have fun with getting a new car and glad to hear no one was hurt. Who do you have for insurance?
Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, I think it's safe to say that it's totalled. That's a good thing.

Good luck
Myron
Old 03-12-2011, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glad you're safe! Not a good thing to experience in any car. Let us know what the investigation finds.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by abacon09
I'm going to say completely totaled. No way that car can be fixed for what its worth. Have fun with getting a new car and glad to hear no one was hurt. Who do you have for insurance?
I have All State, the guy that picked up the phone when i called to let them know my car is on fire he had the never to tell me that based on the information i gave him, which was the entire front end if melted, he told me it might not be totaled they can fix it.

I dunno, will have to see what happens, no way im dirving it again if its fixed.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad you are OK. Not unusual - I've had friends have this happen to their cars (not Audi's) Probably a fuel leak that occurred somewhere. Very rare.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Q5 2.0T mysterious FIRE!!!!