Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Mod: Front License Plate Removed & screw holes covered w/ Black out tape

Old 11-05-2013, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 Mod: Front License Plate Removed & screw holes covered w/ Black out tape

Here in California, dealers are required to sell the car with a front license plate holder.

I wanted to remove the front license plate holder and came across a post that outlined how to cover the screw holes with black out tape. Here are my before and after pictures.

There were 4 screws holding the license plate bracket to the grill, and a center nipple that I had to shave down with a razor.

It was a quick 20 minute mod, and the Black out tape was the exact size needed to cover the whole area. I had my local auto parts store order this black out tape since it was not in stock.

I put the black out tape on three rows, it changes the plastic color from charcoal gray to black, but it still looks 100% factory...
Attached Images      

Last edited by BayAreaQ7; 11-05-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Good job - the grill looks perfect in the pics. Steve
Old 11-05-2013, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks great.

That tape has given me an idea. In Texas we are supposed to have a front plate as well, but I ordered mine with the filler instead of the plate holder. If we get hasseled to much, then I will order the plate holder and may use some of this tape to give it character.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:44 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice indeed, great work.

-tgt
Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BayAreaQ7
Here in California, dealers are required to sell the car with a front license plate holder.

I wanted to remove the front license plate holder and came across a post that outlined how to cover the screw holes with black out tape. Here are my before and after pictures.

There were 4 screws holding the license plate bracket to the grill, and a center nipple that I had to shave down with a razor.

It was a quick 20 minute mod, and the Black out tape was the exact size needed to cover the whole area. I had my local auto parts store order this black out tape since it was not in stock.

I put the black out tape on three rows, it changes the plastic color from charcoal gray to black, but it still looks 100% factory...

Ha! I think I have those same Dakine Rack pads but haven't installed my roof rack yet. Are they the XL Aeros?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks great!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good work, too bad Boston cops are being a pain without the front plates.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cheap yet effective....great job. Your car looks rite!!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just curious, what are the California regulations on the front license plate? I thought it is a must, but I'm not sure how strictly enforced it is.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, in Cali the front is a must. But the police won't pull you over for not having it on, but if they pull you over for something else, then they'll give you a 'fit it' ticket. I keep my front plate in the car and if I'm parking on the street, I'll through it in the front window. The front plate needs to be displayed, but it never states it has to be on the front bumper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SQ5 Mod: Front License Plate Removed & screw holes covered w/ Black out tape