Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Mod: Front License Plate Removed & screw holes covered w/ Black out tape

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 06:23 AM
SQ5
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amp116
Quick question to OP... Your results look great from the pic so I bought the same tape to try the same. First question, did you fill the screw and center hole with anything to prevent their outline from showing through the tape? Second, a quick test piece of tape seemed to fit the height perfectly for the lower two strips, however the upper strip of the grille seems to be about 1/8" taller than the tape is wide - was yours that way as well? From the pics it looks like it covered perfect but I can't tell. I'm thinking I could double up two staggered layers but not sure how clean it will look with the overlapping seams. The stuff is cheap enough to mess around with so maybe I'll just try that. Anyway, thanks for the great idea!
How did this end up? I just got the tape on amazon for $11 delivered. Waiting for warmer weather to cover the small screw holes and larger center cutout. Did you do anything to the screws holes to conceal them? Also, did you fill the center cut-out with something first? And lastly, how did you manage the top row? Two pieces of tape?

I have an SQ5, so not sure how the grille is different than the other models. I saw a few pictures of a regular SQ5 grille and it definitely looked different. Not sure if it was a year thing, a trim level thing or both.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The tape was so cheap, I just decided to wing it late one evening. I probably should have waited for better lighting and taken my time but I was just sick of looking at those holes. I used an xacto knife to trim the 4 screw holes flush but that was all the prep I did (along with a good thorough cleaning). Someone mentioned filling the holes with some epoxy which is probably the "right" way to do it, but like I said, I was just interested in covering them up short term until I could take the time to do it right. Surprisingly, the holes, even the large center one are barely noticeable even without any filling. The worst/tricky parts are the ends. Cutting the various tapers just right is tough and mine is far from my best work, though from more than a few feet away, you can't tell the difference, nor can people who don't know what they're looking at or for. I did use 2 overlapping layers for the top row, again, not nearly as noticeable as I feared. In the coming months, I'll probably buy another roll and try to neaten it up, but for now, it's a huge improvement over looking at those holes every time I walk up to the car.

As for models, mine is an SQ5 as well, in fact, I think this only applies to the SQ5 grille since the regular Q5 has vertical ribs and a different plate attach cover.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BayAreaQ7
Here in California, dealers are required to sell the car with a front license plate holder.

I wanted to remove the front license plate holder and came across a post that outlined how to cover the screw holes with black out tape. Here are my before and after pictures.

There were 4 screws holding the license plate bracket to the grill, and a center nipple that I had to shave down with a razor.

It was a quick 20 minute mod, and the Black out tape was the exact size needed to cover the whole area. I had my local auto parts store order this black out tape since it was not in stock.

I put the black out tape on three rows, it changes the plastic color from charcoal gray to black, but it still looks 100% factory...
How is this holding up? I picked up my 2015 SQ5 last night and was pretty disappointed to find the license plate holder attached - especially since it's not required here in PA. They're telling me it'll cost $1k to replace the grille... You'd think after my husband and I bought an S6 and SQ5 on the same day they'd help a girl out.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ak1983
How is this holding up? I picked up my 2015 SQ5 last night and was pretty disappointed to find the license plate holder attached - especially since it's not required here in PA. They're telling me it'll cost $1k to replace the grille... You'd think after my husband and I bought an S6 and SQ5 on the same day they'd help a girl out.
I first did this to my SQ in early 2014. I used the exact same tape the OP mentioned but I did need to use 2 overlapping layers of tape on the top strip since it was about 1/8" wider than the tape was. In early summer, I had to replace the middle strip since it had broken through at the center hole. There was plenty extra on the roll to take care of this. I keep thinking that some of that thicker 3M trim/wrap stuff may be more durable, but this tape is already nearly the perfect width so I'll probably just stick with replacing it as necessary.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine is actually holding up well.... I have 23k miles on the car in the year I've owned it, and the grill looks great.

I did have a rock or something sratch a small section, but I just took about 2" of the tape to go over it.

I'll take some pics and post what it looks like. But if you have the same situation, it's easy to do, and a year later, mine looks the same.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you both! I think it's worth a try, for sure. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:10 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to revive a thread that it has been dormant for a while
I am about to purchase an SQ5 for my wife and I have two options, one of them comes with black optics package.
I hate the front plate, I don't have it in any of my cars and I have never had a problem (yet)
I am confused because I have read the grille is different between the one with the front license holder vs the one with no license plate holder?
(Somebody posted here the dealer quoted 1,000 to replace the grille)
Is that true? Or the license plate holder is just attached (drilled) to the same type of grille?

In eBay you can find "fillers" that seems to replace the license plate holder, but if I pick the black optics car the color will be different?
Please help me understand how this license plate and grille works
Thanks
Old 01-14-2015, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

The SQ5 grill does not have a filler piece that can be swapped like the other Q5 iterations. You can remove the license plate bracket/mount but will be left with holes. Once the holes are drilled it's done. If you want no holes you have to replace the grill which requires removing the front fascia. The grill itself is $600 and the rest is likely labor and markup. That's why the tape route is the best next option people are using to cover the holes. I assume the HGB is the same scenario.

You may be able to find one with no plate mount but here in California they are rare or do not exist as CA requires a front plate so that is how they are ordered by the dealer. Another Option is to order it with no plate mount and wait 90 days for it, like me.

Last edited by masemoto; 01-14-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaQ7
Here in California, dealers are required to sell the car with a front license plate holder.

I wanted to remove the front license plate holder and came across a post that outlined how to cover the screw holes with black out tape. Here are my before and after pictures.

There were 4 screws holding the license plate bracket to the grill, and a center nipple that I had to shave down with a razor.

It was a quick 20 minute mod, and the Black out tape was the exact size needed to cover the whole area. I had my local auto parts store order this black out tape since it was not in stock.

I put the black out tape on three rows, it changes the plastic color from charcoal gray to black, but it still looks 100% factory...
What is the difference between the part 'with plate holder' and 'without plate holder'? I assumed it was just the part that the plate screws to (standard US plate size part- the part that appears the OP removed). The part that remains, that filled the three holes and taped over isn't the 'plate holder'

Reason I ask..I have my TDI on order and asked for 'no plate holder' Dealer said the plate holder isn't just the small plate sized part but the whole thing...About a $300 part.

Just got a message from dealer..said I am getting both..no extra charge..

maybe the SQ and the Q have a different design to hold the plate?
Old 01-14-2015, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
What is the difference between the part 'with plate holder' and 'without plate holder'? I assumed it was just the part that the plate screws to (standard US plate size part- the part that appears the OP removed). The part that remains, that filled the three holes and taped over isn't the 'plate holder'

Reason I ask..I have my TDI on order and asked for 'no plate holder' Dealer said the plate holder isn't just the small plate sized part but the whole thing...About a $300 part.

Just got a message from dealer..said I am getting both..no extra charge..

maybe the SQ and the Q have a different design to hold the plate?
It looks like the S grille is by default plateless but accepts an optional plate holder (which looks like it screws into the grille behind it, as more of a "retrofit" than anything). Strange considering it's different from the normal grille.

For the normal Q5, the grille has a separate piece that is either a plate holder or a filler, that goes the width of the grille. In this case, swapping from a plate to no-plate configuration won't leave visible screw holes behind.

Quick Reply: SQ5 Mod: Front License Plate Removed & screw holes covered w/ Black out tape