Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Mods/Solutions: Front License Plate & Subwoofer upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LASQ5
Yes, It's a split 2x4 painted black. Screwed into the battery compartment door. amp is screwed into the wood only.
Awesome. I just pulled the trigger on all the gear for the install. Bought on Amazon.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LASQ5: How does the subwoofer sound compared to stock? Is it just as clean or does it have the dirty bass that lower-end Kicker equipment is known for? I believe this is the first thread I've seen where someone successfully found a solution for a stealth subwoofer install. Some people have tried 10" subwoofers, but it didn't fit. Nice job!
Old 02-05-2014, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
LASQ5: How does the subwoofer sound compared to stock? Is it just as clean or does it have the dirty bass that lower-end Kicker equipment is known for? I believe this is the first thread I've seen where someone successfully found a solution for a stealth subwoofer install. Some people have tried 10" subwoofers, but it didn't fit. Nice job!
I too was a bit worried about the kicker, but got it anyway because it fit so well. I'm glad I did. It sounds great. clean base.

The particular 8" speaker in this setup is rated for 400 watts RMS and the enclosure is not ported. --I think that makes a big difference. It sounds exponentially better than the stock sub (which I still have hooked up) I only turned up the amp gain a little less than half way and it's got plenty of thump for me. Not the kind of thump that will rattle your car, but just enough so you can feel it. The amp I bought came with a remote bass controller ****. I installed it in the center arm rest area, so I can easily turn the bass up or down accordingly.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I too was a bit worried about the kicker, but got it anyway because it fit so well. I'm glad I did. It sounds great. clean base.

The particular 8" speaker in this setup is rated for 400 watts RMS and the enclosure is not ported. --I think that makes a big difference. It sounds exponentially better than the stock sub (which I still have hooked up) I only turned up the amp gain a little less than half way and it's got plenty of thump for me. Not the kind of thump that will rattle your car, but just enough so you can feel it. The amp I bought came with a remote bass controller ****. I installed it in the center arm rest area, so I can easily turn the bass up or down accordingly.
Kicker is definitely known for their large (12-15") subs in ported boxes, so I didn't even realize they sold a small sub in a sealed enclosure. I will end up giving this a try if I decide to upgrade the subwoofer (depends if my wife wants to keep the car for more than another year). Thread subscribed
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

The plate looks great. I'm in LA too and would like to get this done. Mind mentioning which shop did the install for you? Also how was the wiring for remote control? Simple?
Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B8Lover
The plate looks great. I'm in LA too and would like to get this done. Mind mentioning which shop did the install for you? Also how was the wiring for remote control? Simple?
I did it myself. Wiring is super easy: The controller's positive and negative connected right to the battery terminals under the protective cover in the engine compartment.. then connect the other two wires to the motor on the show n go. I didn't even have to add any wire, the kit wires were long enough. The only thing I was scared about was cutting away those pillars and the material below them on my SQ5. I cut it by hand, carefully with a Hacksaw blade and just took it really slow. The whole thing took less than two hours to install.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome subwoofer information LASQ5! I'm thinking about doing this myself, but I don't have much experience with car electronics.

What is the third piece of hardware that you have installed back there? It is some sort of power hub that you attached to the battery? Do you have a part link for that?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ser968
Awesome subwoofer information LASQ5! I'm thinking about doing this myself, but I don't have much experience with car electronics.

What is the third piece of hardware that you have installed back there? It is some sort of power hub that you attached to the battery? Do you have a part link for that?

Thanks!
the tube lookalike is a capacitor. You can order it anywhere on the web.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I didn't connect any RCAs to the head unit... This amp accepts speaker level inputs (thru the RCAs) so I just spliced it into the speaker wires for the sub (that are right there) and plugged it in.
Aren't people concerned with this at all? You're basically taking signal that has already been amplified by the stock amp, so whatever distortion that amp introduced, you are now amplifying that distortion even more with an aftermarket amp. Not ideal, especially at higher volumes.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to access line-level signal from the deck instead?
Old 09-15-2014, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know if Audi is the same, but on my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the signal coming out of the head unit was pure digital canbus, and was processed and amplified at the amp. It required some type of signal processor to convert to an audio signal. The days of audio signals coming out of head units are gone.
Because we're only dealing with the subwoofer here, the amount of distortion probably wouldn't be noticed...at least not in a moving car. If I were looking to amp the other speakers, then a whole different setup would be required....but the B&O is great at frequencies above 1K hz, so why mess with it.

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Aren't people concerned with this at all? You're basically taking signal that has already been amplified by the stock amp, so whatever distortion that amp introduced, you are now amplifying that distortion even more with an aftermarket amp. Not ideal, especially at higher volumes.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to access line-level signal from the deck instead?

Last edited by USAVAGEU; 09-15-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply: SQ5 Mods/Solutions: Front License Plate & Subwoofer upgrade