Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 problems after recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 problems after recall

Hi
I have an TFSI SQ5 almost 2 years old and it has just had its two year service plus a recall for a power steering issue. Anyway .... my wife reported something odd with the car following service and I agreed once I had driven it. It is very obvious that during the service some from of software upgrade has been performed given the engine (in all modes) is more responsive (thanks Audi) and gears shift quicker (thanks Audi) BUT there is now a continual mild vibration through the steering and floor area when idle plus when driving it the Comfort, Audit, Dynamic modes feel as though they have been offset slightly. My immediate response was this was more than a power steering adjustment and it felt like a third party market power upgrade not working 100%. She reports a slight improvement this morning after a follow-up with the dealer but not 100% fixed and an underlying vibration is still there and they were very vague as to what they did (they reset the motor sensors).
Any suggestions.....it could/will become a case of my word vs the dealer. The car does not drive like it did beforehand. Has anybody else experienced significant changes/ problems following the power steering recall? I can't figure out if they have done something else during service that could be contributing to it.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:02 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I feel your pain but, no, I experienced no such issues following the power steering recall upgrade. When the dealer performed your service, did they document the software change(s) that they made? That should give you some clues as to what they did. My car went through the 15K service last week; no s/w updates were mentioned (the steering recall update was performed a few weeks back) and I felt no changes (for better or worse). I wish you good luck in getting this sorted so you can go back to enjoying the car. Steve
Old 09-17-2015, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. I took a quick look at the schedule and nothing else was stated. I will monitor it over the next week.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had my recall last week for the power steering issue. Last night I was driving along and I was coming to a halt at lights in an underpass and the car was going in the opposite direction of where the car was pointed. It felt like I was in a boat in choppy water. I stopped the car cursing Audi only to realise I was in the middle of an 8.3 earthquake! Happy days!
Old 09-17-2015, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NorthValley
I had my recall last week for the power steering issue. Last night I was driving along and I was coming to a halt at lights in an underpass and the car was going in the opposite direction of where the car was pointed. It felt like I was in a boat in choppy water. I stopped the car cursing Audi only to realise I was in the middle of an 8.3 earthquake! Happy days!
Hopefully, you are safe. There has been a lot of coverage here of the earthquake.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthValley
Glad you're OK and the SQ5 can handle a big one. Steve
Old 09-20-2015, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had my 25k service and the power steering recall completed last week. The only thing I notice is the MMI loads slower than it used to.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

My car was in for service not long ago, and when I brought it home I noticed the alarm system chirped--something I had turned off long ago. And the home/away lighting package enabled, something I don't normally select. A number of changed had been made for no apparent reason.

I did complain to the dealership and they offered to reset anything I found (Sure, send a driver to drop off an R8 loaner car and pick mine up too perhaps?) but thanks to Carista, I had found and reset all the changes in less than a half hour on my mine already.

There are often state and federal laws that would classify this as unauthorized computer tampering. And as Emily Post would say, it is not polite to change things on someone else's computer without their knowledge or permission.