Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Picking up my Q5 soon! What to do!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Picking up my Q5 soon! What to do!?

I have seen another thread or two about this... but my excitement encourages me to create one for my specific question

Will be picking up my Q5 TDI this weekend, and wondering what I should be expected/recommended to do before/day of/days following? Besides switch insurance and just have fun driving it

Definitely want to take some time to go through the manual, but this weekend is a little hectic so we'll have to see about that one!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kaitlyn,
Hopefully your salesman will spend at least one hour going over all the features of your new Q5. Mine did and meant that I didn't need to peruse the manual for answering some of my questions. My dealer even had a technology clinic for new car owners which was helpful.
Will you be getting any tint on the windows, a clear bra for the front end? A winter wheel and tire package since you are in Canada?
But, Yes, you will have a smile on your face as you drive your Q5 away from the dealership. Enjoy !
Old 11-14-2013, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rlk1
Kaitlyn,
Hopefully your salesman will spend at least one hour going over all the features of your new Q5. Mine did and meant that I didn't need to peruse the manual for answering some of my questions. My dealer even had a technology clinic for new car owners which was helpful.
Will you be getting any tint on the windows, a clear bra for the front end? A winter wheel and tire package since you are in Canada?
But, Yes, you will have a smile on your face as you drive your Q5 away from the dealership. Enjoy !
I'm PROBABLY getting winter tires, but not from the dealer... I guess mid-november, I need to get on that...!

Tint, I am going to consider but see how it is for the first week or so...

Clear bra - I really have no clue on that one to be honest...
Old 11-18-2013, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
I have seen another thread or two about this... but my excitement encourages me to create one for my specific question

Will be picking up my Q5 TDI this weekend, and wondering what I should be expected/recommended to do before/day of/days following? Besides switch insurance and just have fun driving it

Definitely want to take some time to go through the manual, but this weekend is a little hectic so we'll have to see about that one!
Enjoy it! I have found the Q5 with the 3.0TDI to be everything I hoped for and more!

This is my first diesel engine. I have found it to be quiet, responsive, and remarkably fuel efficient. The most notable 'surprise' was the requirement of a very specific diesel fuel nozzle to fill the tank. In my neck of the woods, there are plenty of diesel trucks, which, in the states, seem to use a fairly wide in diameter fuel nozzle. This size will not fit in the Q5; the Q5 for the states requires a diesel fuel nozzle that is somewhere between the smaller size of the unleaded gas nozzle and the larger truck diesel nozzle. The Q5 has been so cleverly engineered that it will only accept the smaller diesel size nozzle.

I suspect you will not have any problems finding diesel available using the correct size nozzle (assuming Canada uses the same dimensions for its nozzles as we do in the US).

For me it has been a learning curve of finding the fuel stations that have the correct nozzle size, educating some of our local fuel stations, etc. From what I can determine, the fuel nozzle standard has been around for a long time- apparently where I live is sufficiently off the beaten path that this 'progress' has yet to make its way to our neck of the woods! LOL

As far as any other suggestions on what to look for, I would ask is this your first Audi? What is the vehicle you are replacing the Q5 with? And will the Q5 be your first AUV and/or diesel?
Old 11-18-2013, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Loafer123
As far as any other suggestions on what to look for, I would ask is this your first Audi? What is the vehicle you are replacing the Q5 with? And will the Q5 be your first AUV and/or diesel?
Yep my first audi!

Coming from a 2007 Accord sedan... First SUV and first diesel!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
Yep my first audi!

Coming from a 2007 Accord sedan... First SUV and first diesel!
I believe you will be impressed with acceleration and performance of this 'SUV'; plus stability and tracking in snowy road conditions.

Enjoy!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it has been a learning curve of finding the fuel stations that have the correct nozzle size, educating some of our local fuel stations, etc.
Greetings, fellow dieseler! (if that is a word)

While this might not address your nozzle size issue, there are some good apps/websites that will identify diesel availability and pricing. My personal favorite is GasBuddy, both a website and a smartphone app. It allows you to search by grade ...and then either by price or distance. I find the smartphone tends to have more accurate/current data (not sure if the app and the website share data or not). There are probably other sites/apps out there, but GasBuddy is my fav. Given that most of the updates are from consumers like you, hopefully they will report on nozzles that fit cars/SUVs vs. trucks!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoy it! I have found the Q5 with the 3.0TDI to be everything I hoped for and more!

This is my first diesel engine. I have found it to be quiet, responsive, and remarkably fuel efficient. The most notable 'surprise' was the requirement of a very specific diesel fuel nozzle to fill the tank. In my neck of the woods, there are plenty of diesel trucks, which, in the states, seem to use a fairly wide in diameter fuel nozzle. This size will not fit in the Q5; the Q5 for the states requires a diesel fuel nozzle that is somewhere between the smaller size of the unleaded gas nozzle and the larger truck diesel nozzle. The Q5 has been so cleverly engineered that it will only accept the smaller diesel size nozzle.

I suspect you will not have any problems finding diesel available using the correct size nozzle (assuming Canada uses the same dimensions for its nozzles as we do in the US).

For me it has been a learning curve of finding the fuel stations that have the correct nozzle size, educating some of our local fuel stations, etc. From what I can determine, the fuel nozzle standard has been around for a long time- apparently where I live is sufficiently off the beaten path that this 'progress' has yet to make its way to our neck of the woods! LOL

RE: diesel nozzle size

Audi and VW sell a little kit that has a truck stop nozzle adapter that slips over the end of that big spout and reduces the size for fitment into our fuel necks. Also included is a pair of disposable gloves. I bought one from the VW dealer since my Audi dealer had none in stock…..10 bucks? Can't recall. Also, the adapter allows one to add a cetane additive to your diesel fuel in the tank. I keep the kit in the pocket at the rear of the luggage compartment.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've yet to fill up yet, but see multiple discussions about this fuel nozzle thing. Is this actually a problem in the GTA/along the 400 series highways? I sort of imagine ALL of those would be fine for a fillup?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
RE: diesel nozzle size

Audi and VW sell a little kit that has a truck stop nozzle adapter that slips over the end of that big spout and reduces the size for fitment into our fuel necks. Also included is a pair of disposable gloves. I bought one from the VW dealer since my Audi dealer had none in stock…..10 bucks? Can't recall. Also, the adapter allows one to add a cetane additive to your diesel fuel in the tank. I keep the kit in the pocket at the rear of the luggage compartment.
Yep, I have found out about this and my dealer provided it to me 'free of charge'. I agree, it is a 'good' thing to have in the vehicle.

And I am learning where and what fuel dealers have what nozzles!

Thanks to all.

PS Still love the vehicle- it is a real winner in my book!

Quick Reply: Picking up my Q5 soon! What to do!?