Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

They can't fix my car!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They can't fix my car!

Seriously. They have had my 2010 Q5 for over 3 weeks now, because of a clacking from the front wheels when the car drives over a hard bump.

They have pretty much replaced the entire brake assembly. They have hooked up sensor arrays to the bottom of the car. They have ordered parts from Germany, and have spent a buttload of time working on it and replacing parts. And it still has the problem- totally at square one. Wondering if I will ever get my car back

BUT on the bright side, I'm in a 2012 Q5 S-Line loaner which is awesome... and seeing as I'm getting used to it I'm wondering if they are just going to tell me to keep it.

I'm mostly joking. But has anyone ever bought a loaner? Or heard of a dealer that couldn't fix a car? At some point, it's gotta be cheaper to just stop working on the thing and trade the customer up. I don't know, just curious.

Thoughts?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be the balljoint on the front sway bar. not 100% sure
Old 11-15-2012, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Look up your local state lemon laws. Its a stretch, but you may have a case.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 3 weeks w/o the car I would think you'd definitely be close to hitting the lemon law limit in your state.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You may not even have to get to lemon law status. Call 1 800 FOR AUDI. It took them nearly two months, but I ended up with a 2013 to replace my 2012 Q5, it was out of service 25 days (state law here is 30 days). Cost me nothing out of pocket -- they should want to make it right. Check your state laws to be sure, but my impression is that they'd rather avoid going there or getting adversarial with someone they see as a loyal or repeat customer.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most lemon law statutes are limited to first year or some mileage like 12k or so ...

but as far as buying a loaner ---
anyone that has ever bought a car off the lot has basically bought a loaner

test drives are usually brutal on a car !!!!

good luck...

and maybe if you work with them enough, they may give you a good trade in
Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

So this is a very interesting link:
http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon

Describes something called the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, which requires a manufacturer to replace or reimburse your vehicle, minus a usage charge which is (miles driven / 120000). This goes into effect if during any time in your warranty(!) they cannot repair the car after a 'reasonable number of attempts to do so'.

This seems to primarily apply to 'new' vehicles- which even though I bought my car with 16k miles, it is considered new because it is still under the manufacturer's warranty.

I was unable to find anything in reference to a 30 day limit on how long a car can be in the shop, but I will call 1-800-FOR-AUDI and describe this issue to them and see what can be done.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AUDIIOS
You may not even have to get to lemon law status. Call 1 800 FOR AUDI. It took them nearly two months, but I ended up with a 2013 to replace my 2012 Q5, it was out of service 25 days (state law here is 30 days). Cost me nothing out of pocket -- they should want to make it right. Check your state laws to be sure, but my impression is that they'd rather avoid going there or getting adversarial with someone they see as a loyal or repeat customer.
Can you tell me more? What state are you in? Was it a horrible battle, and did you get your car fixed before the new one arrived? How many miles were on your 2012?

My 2010 has 44k miles, so I can only dream of getting a new 2013 out of this situation. But I love Audi's and so does my wife- and I see us being good long time customers unless this goes sideways. Maybe audi will have an interest in making sure it doesn't.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2833564

Took the car in for tinting at around 1800 miles. I had noticed a severe thump upon stopping the vehicle at low speeds (under 30mph). Replaced mechatronic unit, still happened. Replaced entire transmission, issue resolved. Cause unknown. Both mechatronic unit and transmission were shipped (slowly) from Germany. I was given a service loaner. Car dropped off 9/10/12, picked up 10/5/12. Once I was informed the car would need a new transmission and that cause was not found, I asked how we go about remedying the situation. Service advisor gave me 1 800 FOR AUDI number. Took several calls and the issue to be escalated up the chain, but Audi agreed to replace the vehicle with either a comparable '13 en route or an order for a new '13. They tried (and failed) to give me one they had coming to the dealership without several of the options I paid for. Then we picked out several on their way into the US that would have worked. I was told the primary vehicle I had chosen would not be available (dealer had a very interested buyer), so we would go forward with custom order. Fine, put in custom order. Then was told, surprise, primary vehicle now available as buyer could not secure financing. What dealer ties up a vehicle for someone who hasn't even qualified for financing? Anyway, that's all just details because they got me the vehicle and I paid 0 out of pocket to swap, my vehicle had 4400 miles. Dealer has treated me well throughout.

Originally Posted by nicros01
Can you tell me more? What state are you in? Was it a horrible battle, and did you get your car fixed before the new one arrived? How many miles were on your 2012?

My 2010 has 44k miles, so I can only dream of getting a new 2013 out of this situation. But I love Audi's and so does my wife- and I see us being good long time customers unless this goes sideways. Maybe audi will have an interest in making sure it doesn't.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ahh, I had seen that thread. Thanks so much for the info! So just called 1-800-FOR-AUDI, spoke with the rep who is going to contact the shop to investigate what is going on with the repairs.

Here's what the facts are if anyone is interested in an amusing read, or has additional thoughts:
2010 Black Q5 Prestige, 44k miles
• 6 Weeks ago, brake pad light comes on
• Take it to dealer, they replace brake pads and rotors. $850.
• Drive it off the lot and wheels shake A LOT at 70mph. Scary!
• Drive car back immediately, they tell me they don't know what the problem is. They didn't touch anything etc. etc. They try to charge me for a new alignment, I get pissed and go off a bit on the service rep. They do alignment for free, but tell me they can't get the alignment just right because they are aftermarket wheels. Disgusted, I leave. Car still shakes somewhat at 70mph.
• Take it to Discount Tire in Solana Beach, CA. They align the wheels, no problem. Cost me $70.
• Discount Tire employee steals my credit card number, tries to buy a few thousand dollars in auto parts from stores in Ontario. Bank is good, cancels card, no cost to me *phew*
• Brakes squeak though. And there is a fairly loud 'clunk' when hitting a sharp bump, sounds like something is loose.
• Take car back to dealer 4 weeks ago to have them check it out. Primary concern is safety- did they forget to tighten something back up? Are the brakes going to fall off?
• Since then they have been unable to identify the 'clunk' sound and are unable to fix it. I have NO idea what they are going to do next or how long it is going to be before I get my car back. I'm fairly certain they also have NO idea as well.

The rep asked me if I wanted my car back… I said I honestly didn't know, as I was losing confidence in the vehicle and/or the dealer.

We will see where this goes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: They can't fix my car!