Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Thinking of 3.0 Q5 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of 3.0 Q5 TDI

given the current situation of the VW TDI, i have some reservations about jumping on a great deal. a local dealership here has offered 12% of MSRP on 2015 Q5 TDI. however, while it is what i want, i am hesitant to jump unitl the situation is resolved. i know the offending engine is entirely different, but if they did it on the other engine, why would they not do it on the 3.0 TDI? should i take advantage of what i think is a good deal?
Old 09-29-2015, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What exactly are you worried about, if I may ask?
Old 09-29-2015, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by acryan7377
given the current situation of the VW TDI, i have some reservations about jumping on a great deal. a local dealership here has offered 12% of MSRP on 2015 Q5 TDI. however, while it is what i want, i am hesitant to jump unitl the situation is resolved. i know the offending engine is entirely different, but if they did it on the other engine, why would they not do it on the 3.0 TDI? should i take advantage of what i think is a good deal?
Hey, just an FYI but I recently purchased a 2016 q5 2.0 with premium plus and technology. The MSRP was 48500 but I got the price down to 41,200. 15% off MSRP. Not sure if the discounts would be different on TDI vs regular gas but figured to pass it along in case the information comes in handy. Maybe you can get a bit more off the MSRP?

As far as the TDI thing goes, if the engine isn't one of the ones affected I wouldn't worry. I think it's smart to take advantage of the situation now. I admittedly don't know much about the TDI technology though.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they did it on the other engine, why would they not do it on the 3.0 TDI? should i take advantage of what i think is a good deal?
with 6 cylinders, they probably don't need to do that to meet emission standards. 3.0TDI seems a fantastic engine, but the downside is (at least in my neighborhood): few places are selling diesel.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

One thing I do worry about is if you ever plan on getting rid of this car in the future the demand will be down by a lot for Diesels in the USA market. The car will be worth a lot less even if it is not part of the scandal - the image and reputaion for diesels has taken a big shot.
If your car ever gets in an accident it will also be worth less (obviously - but a lot more than normal). Finally as demand for diesel in the USA goes down, the price of the diesel will go up.
I love my diesel but this scandal will have an effect on all of us.

One option to think about is leasing?? You can buy at the end of the lease or get rid of it. Ultimately a little more expensive to go this route but you now have some insurance and back-up plans of washing your hands free of the car if needed.

Last edited by Hockeymonkey; 09-29-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i am worried that the engines are involved, they just havent been caught yet. why would they alter the other TDI and not this engine? the other concern is resale, assuming that diesel will now take a shot to its image.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Personally I would wait to see how the situation is handled by Audi. As of TODAY the TDI isn't impacted on the Q5 here in the US but that could change
Old 09-29-2015, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i am worried that the engines are involved, they just havent been caught yet. why would they alter the other TDI and not this engine? the other concern is resale, assuming that diesel will now take a shot to its image.
The other engines (other than the one Passat exception) did NOT have the AdBlue system that the Audi 3.0 TDI has. AdBlue is especially intended to reduce NOx emissions without having to 'cheat'.

Now with that said... am I confident we are completely off the hook?? NO. However, any impact should be minimal.. (key word is 'should') such as increasing AdBlue flow to eliminate excess NOx.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Keener
The other engines (other than the one Passat exception) did NOT have the AdBlue system that the Audi 3.0 TDI has. AdBlue is especially intended to reduce NOx emissions without having to 'cheat'.

Now with that said... am I confident we are completely off the hook?? NO. However, any impact should be minimal.. (key word is 'should') such as increasing AdBlue flow to eliminate excess NOx.
Exactly. And now is a great time to buy.

12 percent is crap. I would shoot for 20 percent at least. Better yet, buy a used one from a scared seller at a bargain basement price.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go for it. The Q5 3.0 TDI is such an amazing vehicle. Excellent range, I once got a 660-mile range - driving consistently at 65-70 mph.

Quick Reply: Thinking of 3.0 Q5 TDI