Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

To those feeling the low speed front wheel shudder...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To those feeling the low speed front wheel shudder...

This morning my Dealer installed a new design power steering hose that has ended the low speed front wheel shudder on my 2009 Q5.

This is the slight shudder, common to a lot of A4's and Q5's, only felt when turning slowly at low speed, like in/out of a parking space or garage.

Warranty Invoice says "Replaced Flex Hose Per Tech Line - Part# 8K1-422-893-CJ

30 minute job, not counting the complimentary car wash.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Loophole
This morning my Dealer installed a new design power steering hose that has ended the low speed front wheel shudder on my 2009 Q5.

This is the slight shudder, common to a lot of A4's and Q5's, only felt when turning slowly at low speed, like in/out of a parking space or garage.

Sweet. I'm going to call my dealer and see if I can get mine done soon. Good to hear.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a TSB or VIN specific service campaign?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Don't know if there is an active Q5 service campaign...

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Is there a TSB or VIN specific service campaign?
...and I'm not exactly sure what "Replaced Flex Hose Per Tech Line" on my invoice means. I do know this problem first came up on the A4 (B8 Platform) forum, so someone there may have a TSB number. Apparently some A4's got the fix starting several months ago.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...t=slow+shudder

The part was, and may still be, in short supply. My service dept called around and found it at another dealer and had it shipped to them. For anyone having the shudder problem, I suggest complain in a nice way to your service dept and they should be able to find the repair part and eliminate the shudder, like mine did.

Edit: A4 (B8) TSB is 2020332/4

Last edited by Loophole; 07-27-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

...and I'm not exactly sure what "Replaced Flex Hose Per Tech Line" on my invoice means. I do know this problem first came up on the A4 (B8 Platform) forum, so someone there may have a TSB number. Apparently some A4's got the fix starting several months ago.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...t=slow+shudder

The part was, and may still be, in short supply. My service dept called around and found it at another dealer and had it shipped to them. For anyone having the shudder problem, I suggest complain in a nice way to your service dept and they should be able to find the repair part and eliminate the shudder, like mine did.

Edit: A4 (B8) TSB is 2020332/4
It means the dealer verified the concern and called Audi Technical Assistance (TAC), who instructed them to replace the flex hose. Guessing it's probably similar to the ones they're replacing on the A4s off the power steering pump. Haven't seen a TSB pertaining to the Q5s or dealt with one experiencing the symptoms, but the A4 hoses are still Red ordered from Germany.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just dropped mine off at the dealer so we'll see what they say. The guy looked at me funny when I gave him the info for the TSB and part number. He also didn't seem too interested in listening to the details of the issue I was having either.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you folks are 2 for 2. I gave the dealer all the info and I don't know if they even looked at it but they replaced the hose.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hello everyone, any news regarding this issue . if someone try this solution please post it .
Old 08-05-2010, 03:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My dealer is convinced that this shudder is caused by the "chunky tires". I plan to revisit at my first oil change since it is driving me crazy. The more of us that complain, the better response we get from Audi.

Thanks for the update.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Q5ACK
My dealer is convinced that this shudder is caused by the "chunky tires". I plan to revisit at my first oil change since it is driving me crazy. The more of us that complain, the better response we get from Audi.

Thanks for the update.
I hate that crap. "Dealer is convinced"...yet has no way to prove or verify one way or the other except for you to throw down a grand for new tires that aren't "chunky". MORONS!!!
Anyone that can't feel the shudder shouldn't be driving...much less repairing cars.

Quick Reply: To those feeling the low speed front wheel shudder...