Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Time to press pause on buying a new or used Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Time to press pause on buying a new or used Q5?

Let me just say, I love my 2015 Q5 TDI. It's awesome, but if I was in the same position today, I'd press pause for a couple of weeks, and see how this scandal plays out. One German newspaper has said there are no doubts about VWs long term viability.

For those looking, I'd wait at least a few weeks. Prices for sure will not be going up.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be a perfect time to buy. Values tanking based on public perception.

The reality is the it puts out a little more emissions. I'd buy one and unless you have required emissions testing in your state, I'd NOT take it in for the software re-flash and drive it as-is. Even if they do the update, the loss in power, while I suspect measurable, isn't likely noticeable in normal driving.

That's my take.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motoguy128
The reality is the it puts out a little more emissions.
They are saying 40 times more emissions. That's huge.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Since I'm buying an SQ5 (gasoline engine), I see no reason to put order on hold.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend with a VW tdi did not know about the recall scandal. Said she's too busy being a mom raising a 10 year old and loving her great gas mileage. And then I "ruined" her day with the news. She's not happy of course.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It may be a good time to wait and see how it unfolds across other brands as well. Not only is the investigation expanding to other VW/Audi engines (3.0 V6 TDI) they are looking at other bands (including BMW, Daimler, FCA, GM and Jaguar Land Rover). It's a coin toss right now.

Emissions Probed On All U.S. Diesels As VW Faces Criminal Investigation
Old 09-22-2015, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No need to panic. The worst thing one can do is sell their car tomorrow. Let's see how the testing goes.....and if there is an issue, Volkswagen will stand behind their product, be it a VW, Audi, Porsche, etc. Our 3.0TDI emissions may be within spec.

Stay calm and motor on.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
No need to panic. The worst thing one can do is sell their car tomorrow. Let's see how the testing goes.....and if there is an issue, Volkswagen will stand behind their product, be it a VW, Audi, Porsche, etc. Our 3.0TDI emissions may be within spec.

Stay calm and motor on.
Definitely worst time to sell. If I was buying an Audi or VW you'd bet your bottom dollar I'd wait to see how this plays out before giving them my hard earned money.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

If I was a dealer and a VW/audi diesel came in for a trade, I'd pass on it or low ball it unless it was a loyal customer. Other VW/Audi products would be a lower than normal trade-in. The values are up in the air right now.

The might severely tarnish the reputation of diesel engines throughout NA, to the point where demand disappears. Especially since fuel has be relatively cheap as of late.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Volkswagen will stand behind their product, be it a VW, Audi, Porsche, etc.
Until the entire leadership has gone, I have no faith in any of their ethical capabilities.

Secondly, people are openly talking that this may bring the company down, though I suspect divisions will be sold or the German Government will help out.

Quick Reply: Time to press pause on buying a new or used Q5?