Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Today I went 20 miles past "0 miles remaining" and filled with 20.186 gals

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
NEVER let a diesel run dry.
My first thought, too. The newest diesels and their ultra-high internal pressures may not take kindly to running "dry". This isn't an old 240D from 1980.

Are most of us familiar with the issues owners are suffering with HPFP failures on the 4 cylinder cars and VoA trying to hold the owner liable for the $10k repair?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred D
I wonder if anyone here has seen the Seinfeld episode where Kramer takes a test drive with the car salesman to see how much beyond 'empty' they can go. Somehow this reminds me of that episode.... Was pretty funny!
Of course! I'm a huge Seinfeld junkie
Old 01-15-2014, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
It has a 21.7/82L gallon tank as spec'ed Filled it hundreds of times over its 147K life I had it, and max fills were close to that. Ran it out once and it took basically that too. Except...for the one time I pumped well over 23 gallons into it. Only two possible explanations: 1) pump calibration was wildly off, broken or even fraudulent, or 2) being here in CA, we have vapor recovery pumps, and if the nozzle either malfunctions or you get aggressive on topping up too much and get it just right (wrong), you can just start pumping gas into the recovery system vacuum and pay for simply returning fuel to their underground tank. No, my tank did not miraculously grow one day.

Net, Audi and German stereotype companies are way too exacting to get their tank measurements off by any meaningful amount in my experience w/ a whole bunch of them over 35 years back to the C1. They are neither Chryslers nor Toyotas as examples (minivans) where I did see up to a couple of gallon variances from stated sizes. With cheap construction in simple cube type shapes in plastic molding--common in vehicles like those where they are mounted lengthwise on one side of the vehicle centerline instead of the complicated saddle style now typical of Audi quattro tanks--they could pressurize and expand over time. My old Chrysler T+C AWD even got recalled for that and a new tank fitted.
My understanding at least on the Q5 tank is that it's notably underrated in size. Sounds like this is common in recent Audi models.

On my '02 B5 S4, I (and others) often tried to see how much we could fill it, but both running low and by filling up after pump shut-off. We got another 1-2 gallons in after shut-off as I recall. I feel like some filled up this way and got 17-18 gals - maybe I'll try searching for those posts later...

Here were some that I photographed - I believe with these I ran it low and just filled up to first shut-off and then next $0.25. This car had a rated 16.4 gal tank, which seems was more accurately listed back then based on my notes saying that on the 15.9 fillup I could feel the car shuddering on lack of fuel:

If you ignore the top 4 datapoints (which were due to 2 fillups combined - ie added 5 gals then later filled up), you can see I never got over 16 gals (S4=yellow):

Of course, most of this time was when I was driving 140 miles roundtrip to work each day. As such, I often filled up every other day at 280 miles, so had less opportunities (based on station locations along by commute) to run it to the last drop.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for posting - I think everyone will want to know how you care for your car so they could avoid purchasing it when you sell. All those warnings about how the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel and also the fact that sediment is picked up by having the tank run dry makes one wonder what you really think about maintaining ones vehicle.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, those were the days..........A BUCK SIXTY-NINE PER GALLON! And that was likely premium!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Pumps also need the fuel for cooling, the more submerged the better.

Bob P.
Is the fuel pump in the tank on the Q5? (I don't know...)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Reggie
Thanks for posting - I think everyone will want to know how you care for your car so they could avoid purchasing it when you sell. All those warnings about how the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel and also the fact that sediment is picked up by having the tank run dry makes one wonder what you really think about maintaining ones vehicle.
LOL, I'm not worried about maintaining or selling my cars. I sold my S4 with 193k miles on it in amazing shape. But you probably wouldn't want it because I took it to the drag strip <gasp!>. Then 6 months later the buyer contacted me and bought my 204k mile Golf as well, based on how freaking amazballs the S4 was. I didn't buy the Golf new (I bought at 133k) like I did the S4, but I fixed any issues it had. Also the buyer was a forum user that knew me and my car over the 8 years I had it, so he had a much better feel for how I treat my cars than this one post.

S4 pics, etc here:
http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/s4/s4forsale/

Not bad for 193k miles:

He and I keep in touch and he now has more than a Quarter Million Miles on the Golf, which is reflected in the dotted lines on my mileage graphs:

I won't bother showing photos of these cars torn apart when I added performance modifications (turbo kits) and maintenance items (ie control arms, engine mounts, etc) because I'm sure that will be seen as a negative that I actually did all of my own work on my cars, especially if viewed by someone that only takes their car to the dealership for work.

But no worries anyway as I expect to keep this vehicle a long time. My wife already has eyes on it for when I upgrade that she wants it. But we'll see how that goes...
Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Ah, those were the days..........A BUCK SIXTY-NINE PER GALLON! And that was likely premium!

Yes, of course it was 93 octane And back further...

Old 01-15-2014, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some folks record data, don't they? I have friends that are OCD (no inference here) and have some odd quirks like only eating two french fries at once or separating the broken Doritos from the whole ones after opening a bag or sorting a bag of jelly beans into colors. :roll eyes:

"Not that there's anything wrong with that" you understand. Talking about gas prices; in 1965 when I was awarded my Driver's License, regular gasoline was something like 34 cents a gallon, and some fella with a bow tie pumped it for you, checked the oil, tire pressures, washed the windshield and likely gave you a bunch of stamps to put in a book to get some kind of merchandise.

Actually, being 16 years old kinda sucked.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember getting plastic animals when my parents got gas from Arco. Mid 70's. They were probably had lead in them and I'm sure I tried to bite their heads off.

Quick Reply: Today I went 20 miles past "0 miles remaining" and filled with 20.186 gals