Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Dipstick (P/N)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dipstick (P/N)?

For the first time in 9 years, my oil level dropped from full to 3/5th's full after only 3k miles since last oil change. This is according to the oil level read in the Service Checks on my MMI display. Up till now, it's always remained full between (every 5k mile) oil changes. I recall my 95' VW used to burn oil like crazy once I'd gotten some miles on her. I went to check the oil level manually on the Q5, but realized there is no dipstick. Does anyone have a part number for an actual dipstick for our car? Mine is a 14' 2.0T. Also, are our cars known to start burning oil after accumulating a certain number of miles? I have almost 88k miles on the odometer now. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 345 Likes on 317 Posts

It is normal and no cause for alarm for engines to burn some oil into higher mileage. Very often my MMI oil level will say it is down a bar or two but it's just oil up in the head; if I park the car, wait a minute for gravity to do its work, go into oil level measurement in the MMI and open the hood it forces a measurement and then immediately tells me the oil is full. 3/5ths in 3k miles is burning about a quart every 5K miles -- nothing to worry about but you should think about the oil you use and interval you change it. If it were to accelerate that would be cause for concern.

I have a 2014 Q5 2.0T Premium Plus also that has 105K miles on it and burns very little oil (certainly no more than any other car I have owned in the past including port injected engines). The best thing you can do is run a high quality true synthetic oil (group 4 and 5) and change your oil frequently (no more than 5K miles/6 months). At your mileage I'm assuming you have changed the PCV........
Old 06-28-2022, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-2-0t-2849881/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-deux-2860423/
Old 06-28-2022, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silver_tt
It is normal and no cause for alarm for engines to burn some oil into higher mileage. Very often my MMI oil level will say it is down a bar or two but it's just oil up in the head; if I park the car, wait a minute for gravity to do its work, go into oil level measurement in the MMI and open the hood it forces a measurement and then immediately tells me the oil is full. 3/5ths in 3k miles is burning about a quart every 5K miles -- nothing to worry about but you should think about the oil you use and interval you change it. If it were to accelerate that would be cause for concern.

I have a 2014 Q5 2.0T Premium Plus also that has 105K miles on it and burns very little oil (certainly no more than any other car I have owned in the past including port injected engines). The best thing you can do is run a high quality true synthetic oil (group 4 and 5) and change your oil frequently (no more than 5K miles/6 months). At your mileage I'm assuming you have changed the PCV........
I don’t believe I have. What is the PCV? And what oil would you recommend I use? Thanks again.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

PCV regulates crankcase vacuum (and other things). If the vacuum level is out of spec it can cause oil consumption among other issues. I replaced mine at 82K miles and it was not in good shape. 06H-103-495-AK is the part number. For oil I would use a 40 weight and use a true synthetic PAO while maintaining short oil change intervals.

Old 07-01-2022, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks! Just bought a used OE one on eBay as it seems they don't make this part any longer (which is strange?) I prefer to stick to OEM parts. Here's the one I bought. Hope it's the right one..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265677312031
Old 07-02-2022, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can someone tell me what is the best oil I can use to top off for the summer season? And one that I can find at any auto part store? And I mean, brand, type, weight? Thanks..
Old 07-02-2022, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonlightblue
Can someone tell me what is the best oil I can use to top off for the summer season? And one that I can find at any auto part store? And I mean, brand, type, weight? Thanks..
Any oil that meets Audi Standards 502.00 / 505.00

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...e-Bulletin.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...78559-0001.pdf

I currently use Motul in my two cars

Last edited by spijun; 07-02-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would not top off your oil with different brands or even subproducts within the brand, even if it's the same viscosity. When you mix oils or even change oils there is a period of cross-contamination where you can get additive clash between the two oils. This can cause oil consumption but it will recede over a period of 2-3 oil changes.

You cannot trust Audi, or any car manufacturer for that matter, to tell you what oil to use. They are bound mpg/emissions constraints, their legal contracts/partnership with the oil company they are currently in bed with/recommending, etc. The best thing you can do is to pick a "good" oil and stick with it. This means a true synthetic (PAO) preferably with an additive package for direct injection (a specialized soot dispersant). And change your oil no more than every 5,000 miles/6 months max. My preference is a 0W-40 in this engine but you can run a 5W-40 in SoCal. Viscosity is very important as it relates to wear of your engine although at the expense of mpg; alas, there is no "free lunch".
Old 07-02-2022, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silver_tt
I would not top off your oil with different brands or even subproducts within the brand, even if it's the same viscosity. When you mix oils or even change oils there is a period of cross-contamination where you can get additive clash between the two oils. This can cause oil consumption but it will recede over a period of 2-3 oil changes.

You cannot trust Audi, or any car manufacturer for that matter, to tell you what oil to use. They are bound mpg/emissions constraints, their legal contracts/partnership with the oil company they are currently in bed with/recommending, etc. The best thing you can do is to pick a "good" oil and stick with it. This means a true synthetic (PAO) preferably with an additive package for direct injection (a specialized soot dispersant). And change your oil no more than every 5,000 miles/6 months max. My preference is a 0W-40 in this engine but you can run a 5W-40 in SoCal. Viscosity is very important as it relates to wear of your engine although at the expense of mpg; alas, there is no "free lunch".
Thanks for the explanation. I’ll ask for a top off from my shop and go from there.