Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

VW Diesel Emissions News -- Breyer Sets March 24 Deadline

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Old adage in negotiation: "He who speaks first, loses". I'll wait for VAG to present their offer to me.
Actually it's generally been proved wrong. Anchoring is the most powerful thing you can do. I'd start off with "Triple what I paid for all the hardship". It's a rediculous number of course, but research suggests that even rediculous numbers help you get a final end deal.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
If you have any questions after you read this well done NYT article published in just the last few hours about why this is truly such a big deal, and way beyond a few owners or models, let me know. Will go down as one of the biggest corporate debacles of the last 20 or 30 years, both what and how it happened, and how poorly it has been and still is being managed from all of corporate governance, leadership, integrity and communications.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/bu...=business&_r=0
@MP4.2+6.0: Thanks for posting the NYT and Autoweek articles. Despite being caught up in the swirl of this sh*tstorm as an affected Q5 TDI owner (along with all of the complicated attendant emotions related to that), this case is absolutely fascinating on multiple levels from an ethical, academic and legal standpoint.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if it is the sunny nice days with the temperature in the mid 70's or what but this past week it's like I have fallen in love with my TDI all over again. The dang thing is just fun and puts a smile on my face. I don't think a buy back would be welcomed by me.

I just found out yesterday that my Audi salesman, whom I have used several times to buy cars, left Audi last week and is now at Mercedes. He said after the scandal the dealership change their commission plan and he couldn't live on it. I will likely keep my TDI for 1-2 mores years and then see what Mercedes has to offer.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
How many of you really would let them buy your car back? Let's say for 15% per year old?
fair value would be the typical lease cost per month * months of ownership, I would gladly give my back.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by getliquid
fair value would be the typical lease cost per month * months of ownership, I would gladly give my back.
Audi will not do buy back on its own as this will not create any loyalty. Plus it's the absolute last resort financially. If they were forced to buy back it would be towards a new model = trade in. In theory if the traded in car were then fixed they would get 2 sales - one on the new car and the other in the used market which would help recoupe some of the financial hit plus keep us in a new Audi.

Last edited by Hockeymonkey; 02-28-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
How many of you really would let them buy your car back? Let's say for 15% per year old?
I would let them buy it back in a heartbeat. It has nothing to do with the vehicle itself (amazing powertrain, btw), it's just that I'm looking for a way out of this diesel mess, especially living in the Western states (CA/OR/WA).
I was already planning to get something else before the emission scandal. The drop in resale value and the unresolved fix are what stopping me from trading it in.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by metta
It's nice and all for such an order, but the problem is that the "fix" needs agreement from a bunch of parties, particularly EPA. Presumably the problem is not just "change the programming", so VAG has to figure out how to negotiate the best fix possible that (a) satisfies EPA and (b) doesn't open them up to huge customer liability (i.e., through reduced performance, etc.). They have (b) in their control, because they know the bottom line, but have no idea what (a) is necessarily.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A6forMoi
It's nice and all for such an order, but the problem is that the "fix" needs agreement from a bunch of parties, particularly EPA. Presumably the problem is not just "change the programming", so VAG has to figure out how to negotiate the best fix possible that (a) satisfies EPA and (b) doesn't open them up to huge customer liability (i.e., through reduced performance, etc.). They have (b) in their control, because they know the bottom line, but have no idea what (a) is necessarily.
Hard to feel sympathy for VW et all, specially after the poor manner in which they have worked with the very people that buy their premium cars

They put themselves in this position. As owners, we relied on their representations to buy their product. It is only reasonable they they make us whole.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

No way am I letting VW or Audi take back my TDI. It is a terrific vehicle and a real pleasure to drive. Personally, I could care less about the controversy. Audi will fix it and MPG may drop 5 or 10 percent. It's still better than any other option available from other manufacturers. Cars depreciate. Buying is a horrible investment. I went into the deal knowing that this was an expensive purchase and the mind set of driving my Q5 for a long time. Something a Diesel is supremely suited for. The only hesitation for me would be accelerated maintenance/replacement costs that may result from the "fix". Considering much of the auto world news is about autonomous driving cars not to far into the future, I plan to relish every moment I get to drive my Q5 TDI. It's a kick being thrown back in the seat when I press that right pedal.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hoping the March 24th deadline doesn't get moved again, but it sure looks like it will be from the latest news. Additional months of negotiation?

Quick Reply: VW Diesel Emissions News -- Breyer Sets March 24 Deadline