Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

what is the best snow tire method?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont mind spending the extra money initially to buy the rims also, if I go this route, since mine is a 2012, would I have to get seperate tpms sensors? Im thinking its going to be expensive to program each time
Old 08-15-2014, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carfan1111
since mine is a 2012, would I have to get seperate tpms sensors?
According to TireRack for your car:

Important Notes:
This vehicle relies on the wheel speed sensors in the hubs to monitor the tire pressure differences. Although no tire sensors are required, a TPMS reset is required so the vehicle learns the new tire overall diameters.
So no, you do not need separate TPMS hardware. And the "reset" they're talking about can be easily performed by the driver, AFAIK.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 08-15-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
We are looking to buy snow tire set for the Q5, has 19 inch wheels
This may be a stupid question, but I'm not above asking it . . . why would one need separate snow tires on the Q5 that already comes with all-seasons and AWD? I understand why for the SQ5 that comes with the summer tires, but not sure why this would be needed for the Q5, unless it's about not wanting to gunk up your rims with all the winter salt, sand, and sludge?

I live in CA, so don't have that issue currently, but in the past when I've lived in other states with heavy winters and was driving an SUV (4WD) with all-season tires, I never had a separate set of winter/snow tires.

I'm hoping to learn something here and am just curious . . . thanks.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by metta
This may be a stupid question, but I'm not above asking it . . . why would one need separate snow tires on the Q5 that already comes with all-seasons and AWD?
If you ever get to drive a car that's equipped with proper winter tires, you'll realize how much better they handle the white stuff and icy roads compared to regular all-season (no-season) tires.

As far as AWD, well, it helps you get going, but it does nothing to help you stop or steer. Winter tires offer more grip in winter conditions, which translates to more confident steering and braking. TireRack has some comparative video on their web site to illustrate that.

My RWD bmw with proper winter tires handles winters a lot better than my wife's C300 4matic with all-season tires.

Bottom line is, you can get by with all-seasons and AWD if you take it slow, but you'll feel a lot more confident if you have winter tires. If you have to deal with snow and ice for many months out of the year, having dedicated winter tires makes sense. Sometimes their cost is no bigger than your insurance deductible if you were to crash.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7l2cMlNRX_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NPu6F0lGixk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=109

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 08-15-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts
Default +1, $10 is not road force balancing....

Originally Posted by userbbc
given how sensitive the car seems to proper balancing, would definitely opt for separate wheel/tire sets. Remounting and especially rebalancing each year sounds like a nightmare to me. And for $10/wheel, would guess that it's not road force balanced.
as you stated the Q5 is sensitive to proper balancing and it will cost a lot more to road force balance (most shops charge their hourly rate for road force balancing). Maybe the OP isn't that picky about having slightly shimmying and bouncing tires, not to say the scraped wheels from the mount/dismount.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by metta
This may be a stupid question, but I'm not above asking it . . . why would one need separate snow tires on the Q5 that already comes with all-seasons and AWD?
All season tires are really 3 season tires.
All season tires lose most of their grip in the cold. From about 7 deg Celsius on down they become more like hockey pucks than tires. The inverse is true but in a different way. Real winter tires will wear fast in high temps and can overheat because of the soft rubber and tread patterns that are not optimized for running hot.
The AWD will get you going for sure but losing your braking performance on a 2 ton Q5 could be very expensive. Pure summer tires as fitted to an SQ5 just make it worse as they lose their grip at higher temperatures.

Living in Canada I'll be out shopping for winters in late September...I'll expect them to last 4 winters and to prolong the life of the OE tires by one summer.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i want snow tires b/c the lake effect snow from erie to buffalo can be tricky....easily can get many inches of snow in a hurry
Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Expert

i want snow tires b/c the lake effect snow from erie to buffalo can be tricky....easily can get many inches of snow in a hurry
Yup. Same thing in western Michigan with lake effect snow coming from Lake Michigan. Last winter snow started falling early November, and pretty much stayed on the ground until early May. Ugh...
Old 08-15-2014, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks ex-quattro PETE (great videos!) and timlocke. I have learned something here that I never knew when living in Midwest winters in the past. If I ever move back to a snow state, I'll be better educated, thanks!

Sorry for the slight hijack, OP.

Quick Reply: what is the best snow tire method?