Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

what model sway bar do you recommend

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default what model sway bar do you recommend

Hello

we got the Draw-tie 75940 Class III hitch mounted to our Q5
it also has the Tekonsha P3 brake controller

before we order the trailer , we are looking for a recommended sway bar kit to mount to the front of the trailer hitch assembly

I checked many sources and the Audi q5 will Not and does not allow for a weight distribution kit

they do allow and recommend sway bars on the trailer side

i see models from:
  • reese
  • blue-ox
  • fastway
  • pro series
  • some have chain
  • some have solid bars
  • some have friction control

any thought, suggestion or links

thank you
Old 02-17-2017, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

this what my Q5-S line loks like now

Draw-tite 75940 Class III

4 pn and 7 pin on the left

tekonsha P3 brake controller
Old 02-17-2017, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Sway kit, because....?

I question it because I have no sway issue towing with my Q5--runabout boat at 32-3500 pounds on trailer depending on gear and fuel load. Lots of distances, up and down Sierra's, speeds to as much as reasonable for trailering, etc. Zero issue with towing via prior A8 either. These are not really vehicles meant to tow massive trailers and weights anyway, nor are they rated for it, whether class III hitch or not. Q5 USA spec maxes at 4400 pounds, assuming trailer brakes. Euro spec is somewhat higher with the V6 motors on steep grades, but still nothing like USA body on frame towing.

To me sway in trailers typical for "automotive" scale towing is very much an issue with mis set tongue loading and/or improper weight distribution of movable items/cargo on trailer--if default tongue weight was already dialed in reasonably. I was careful to dial the tongue weight in--by moving trailer axle point on frame--early on when I got the boat, and any time I mod something that would affect weight distribution meaningfully. In absence of air ride, typical passenger vehicles don't do well with heavy tongue weights either, so it takes some finesse and math checks if you are dialing in to a few hundred pounds on tongue but still at typical recommendations relative to total trailer weight. A good boat/trailer shop should know that type of set up if you aren't familiar w/ it. Then just need some care in packing (and sometimes fuel for boats depending on tank location) if some objects are unusually light or heavy compared to volume. If properly set up with Audi wiring, vehicle also modifies ESP program if it picks up early signs of sway.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-17-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

why get a transmission cooler?

see here. the life of your transmission is directly related to its operation temperature

Hayden - Transmission and Engine Oil Coolers
Old 02-17-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by waninae39
why get a transmission cooler?

see here. the life of your transmission is directly related to its operation temperature

Hayden - Transmission and Engine Oil Coolers

All fine. But Q5 should already have a tranny cooler built into overall radiator module. Std. Audi for my last several models now. I think all the USA Q5's probably have it--TDI, gas, I4, V6, Hybrid. Look for paired lines running from driver's side of tranny somewhat behind front axle area up to radiator more on passenger side. Much smaller plumbed in lines carrying fluid, as opposed to the typical upper and lower larger radiator coolant hoses. Metal for most of their length except to deal with some flex up near radiator.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-17-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2017 Q5 to tow my 22Ft Airstream trailer. I has a lot of sway. How do I fix that without using a weight distribution hitch?
Old 02-24-2017, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

look at the Curtis friction sway control. they are NOT very expensive
Old 02-25-2017, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

As mentioned in the other thread, now that you post it is an aftermarket hitch:
You can and should have Audi reprogram the car to let it know there may be a trailer. Assuming you also have the Audi trailer lighting module, or that module is not somehow necessary (everything talks on the CanBus) for the car to know about trailer operations.
That should take care of the transmission cooling, and I'd expect it changes the ABS/ESC programming as well. Stuff worth doing.

MP4-
Bearing in mind that the US-market Q5 has a modified/lifted suspension to make it into a "truck", and suspension issues can be intimate to towing, I wouldn't be surprised if the US and EU towing specs were different because of that as well. (An Audi is like Forest Gump's box of chocolates, isn't it?)
Old 02-25-2017, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
As mentioned in the other thread, now that you post it is an aftermarket hitch:
You can and should have Audi reprogram the car to let it know there may be a trailer. Assuming you also have the Audi trailer lighting module, or that module is not somehow necessary (everything talks on the CanBus) for the car to know about trailer operations.
That should take care of the transmission cooling, and I'd expect it changes the ABS/ESC programming as well. Stuff worth doing.

MP4-
Bearing in mind that the US-market Q5 has a modified/lifted suspension to make it into a "truck", and suspension issues can be intimate to towing, I wouldn't be surprised if the US and EU towing specs were different because of that as well. (An Audi is like Forest Gump's box of chocolates, isn't it?)
US Q5 is basically just jacked up height wise AFAIK to meet the light truck height std. Sometimes end run with air rides that can lower it back to Euro norms. US tow spec is basically one size fits all, and notice the 4400 pounds. As in, 2000kg. The Euro spec is more granular for specific motors. And it gives data for two grades (8 and 12%). Brake sizing also goes up with motors, and US ones always have the Euro spec brakes even though the typical top speeds actually driven can be a lot different. As in, nice that they don't cheap out on U.S. brakes like a lot of the lightweight Asian brand stuff or non "heavy duty" or "tow rated" US product.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-25-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Jacked up: exactly. If they "just" jacked it up without changing all the load-bearing parts, the extra height would translate into longer torque levers and higher stresses on some parts of the suspension. Which might translate into lowering some weight limits, to prevent excess stress. (You'd really have to know & run the numbers to pin that one down.)
But cheaping out on brakes is another hazy area. I'd say Audi cheaped out on brakes, you can't reliably expect to get 50k on the pads and 100k+ on the rotors, the way my last riceburner did. One might say, well, 30K is enough duration to make the maintenance "convenient", and there's less unsprung weight, so the handling is better, and there's less overall weight, so the gas mileage is higher. Me, I'd say the difference between "maybe 30k" and "more than 50k" is a PITA and a needless expense, compared to the gains.
I'm surprised Audi doesn't offer a "six caliper vented and slotted oversize Brembo Brake upgrade" to go along with the sport seats, sport [read: dry road only] tires, and all the other guilt trips they sell. (sigh) Or, as Ford offered the "Eddie Bauer Limited Edition" trucks, that Audi doesn't offer their own branded trailer. Complete with optional linens and cutlery.
Oh wait...I see they DO offer that, but only on the home market editions.(G)