Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

3.2 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2 Q5

Will Audi be discontinuing this model for 2013? I know the 3.0T is on the way, just curious.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes the 3.2 is gone.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So besides the 2.0T and the 3.0T are we getting a TDI?

RIght now I'm looking at the TDI Toureg, Acura MDX, RX 350 and was looking at the 3.2 Q5 (Q7 is too damn big)........I won't be ready to buy until july.......I wonder how this is going to shake out......maybe that 3.0T will be good?

I previously had the A3 3.2 and absolutely loved that engine, I can never go back to the 2.0T (not that it's bad, i just don't like it).
Old 04-10-2012, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I believe that NA is getting the 2.0T, 3.0 Super, and the Hybrid
Old 04-10-2012, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't know we were getting the hybrid. Good news if so.

Those are 3 great engines and gives you 3 great options to choose from.

Hybrid could be a good choice, but if the VW Toureg Hybrid is any indicator at around $65K, then that one will be awfully steep to make up for in fuel costs over the life of the vehicle. Especially for a CUV, as the Toureg only gets 20 City/24 Highway. (Note: the Q5 2.0T gets 20/27!)

Since we apparently aren't going to see the TDI, we can offer thoughts on fuel savings there too, but our N.A. diesel is more expensive than premium gasoline too, and they have other fuel cost issues in Europe to deal with than we do. Have to love TDI as an option in a vehicle though.

Then we have the 3.0 S/C engine and the 2.0T engine. Both great choices and great engines. And you have the choice of picking your route of a Turbo-charger with lots of advantages (free energy, more fuel economy, great HP boost, but with some Turbo-lag) **OR** another great choice of the Super-charger with probably a little less fuel economy than the 2.0T (albeit better than the current 3.2L), with a bit more power and torque, but no free energy (S/C take as much as 5-10% HP away from you just to run them = you use more fuel). But, the S/C also won't have the problem of turbo-lag, which is noticeable in the 2.0T, but very much less so in the "Sport" mode than in "Drive" (IMO, this is easily felt when driving the Turbo). You could also compensate this out with increased/cooler air intake making the air denser, thereby reducing lag. (I'm thinking about a Carbonio Air Intake to mine).

Both are great engines, and basically come down to a little better fuel economy in the 2.0T with a quick, sporty, punchy Turbo, or a smidge worse fuel economy (of the two) with a bit more power and torque. IF you plan on towing something I would def go with the 3.0 S/C for sure. If you want a sporty drive and a little better fuel economy, choose the Turbo.

But you really can't go wrong with either engine.

And apparently the 2.0T will now have the option of the S-Line pkg so that will be nice. Now that I have retrofitted my 2011 with it!

Glad to see the engine line-up that is available. I have to admit, I would have a hard time choosing between them.

Now if we could just get the options of the Sport seats with dual-leather and stitching as well as an option of a manual tranny we'd all be set!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Hybrid could be a good choice, but if the VW Toureg Hybrid is any indicator at around $65K, then that one will be awfully steep to make up for in fuel costs over the life of the vehicle. Especially for a CUV, as the Toureg only gets 20 City/24 Highway. (Note: the Q5 2.0T gets 20/27
That's exactly why I traded my Touareg for Q5. what's the point of a hybrid if the mph still sucks and why price the Treg so much higher than the Audi?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wanted a hybrid at first. I looked, priced, built at VW online, but you couldn't find one, and they were waaaaay overpriced.

I am so happy I bought my first Audi. It absolutely will not be the last.

I'd love to add an RS4 to the garage in the coming years.

-----
BTW, for anyone interested in the Carbonio air intake, I have been researching them a bunch and think I will purchase and install, probably later in the year, as I need to finish up these mods I have going now first, but I like what I read ... esp for an easy install getting:

Benefits of the Carbonio CAI System include:

Increased Horsepower and Torque
Improved Throttle Response
Decreased Turbo 'Lag'
Improved Fuel Economy
Enhanced Engine Volumetric Efficiency
Enhanced Sound of Turbo Diverter Valve

http://www.goapr.com/products/intake..._20tfsivl.html
Old 04-11-2012, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Q 5 vs RX 350

When we got our Q 5 the RX was a very close 2nd.

They are both great vehicles so pick what u like, u won't be wrong with either one. We have had 2 RX's before picking the 2012 Q 5. Next time we are looking we will again look at them both plus anything else that might be in our range.