Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Winter kills fuel mileage

Old 02-06-2014, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
Haha, I know. I was referring to Honda's "realtime 4WD" not Audi's.
Ahh yes, I familiar with the crappy Honda system. My neighbour just quit Honda Canada after 10 years with them, and her husband always complained about the AWD on their Ridgelines and Pilots.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
Ahh yes, I familiar with the crappy Honda system. My neighbour just quit Honda Canada after 10 years with them, and her husband always complained about the AWD on their Ridgelines and Pilots.
I'm actually quite pleased with my Ridgeline in the snow and I've owned both Audi and Subaru. I came home the other night to 3+ feet of packed snow blocking my driveway. Without hesitating I gunned it straight through the snow wall (and cracked my license plate holder). Then I made it up my long/steep driveway with 11" of unplowed snow just fine. I just have some crappy all-seasons on the truck. I knew this was going to happen before I left for work, so I chose the Ridgeline over the Q5 that day due to the higher ground clearance. Plus I didn't want to scratch up the Q5 by ramming it thru the snow wall
Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
Lots more MPG, far fewer SPM (smiles per mile).
hell ya lol. I just don't get why people expect to have a good gas mileage on a luxury car? Why not just get a Prius if they are too worried about gas mileage?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
hell ya lol. I just don't get why people expect to have a good gas mileage on a luxury car? Why not just get a Prius if they are too worried about gas mileage?
The two don't have to be mutually exclusive, that's why TDI exists.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agree. I'm waiting for the next gen A4 tdi. For those of us that drive a lot, efficiency matters.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

hell ya lol. I just don't get why people expect to have a good gas mileage on a luxury car?
Fewer fuel stops. This is something people think is unimportant, until they commute 80-100 miles per day and buy a car that gets 250-300 miles on a tank. Then suddenly it'll dawn on them why tank range matters. It flat out sucks to have to pump gas every 2-3 days. It gets old very quickly.

On the other hand, what I don't get is why people who don't drive a lot buy expensive cars. They won't be spending any time in them to speak of and they're mostly driveway decorations. But to each their own...
Old 02-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I don't pay much attention to gas mileage. I'll monitor it on a long trip to see how it's doing and for something to do, but that's about it.
It's also useful for tracking the health of the car, noticing inflation of the tires, etc. If mileage changes, it's good to know, setting aside issues such as ethanol mix...
Old 02-10-2014, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

some people complains about the TDI mileage too. lol
Old 02-10-2014, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Xenonista
Fewer fuel stops. This is something people think is unimportant, until they commute 80-100 miles per day and buy a car that gets 250-300 miles on a tank. Then suddenly it'll dawn on them why tank range matters. It flat out sucks to have to pump gas every 2-3 days. It gets old very quickly.

On the other hand, what I don't get is why people who don't drive a lot buy expensive cars. They won't be spending any time in them to speak of and they're mostly driveway decorations. But to each their own...
neighbor contest, who has the best display car in the driveway. lol
Old 02-10-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

neighbor contest, who has the best display car in the driveway. lol
Is this why people don't park their cars in their garage? I couldn't care less what's on or in my case, what's not on my driveway. I like getting into a warm 50 degree car and not having to scrape off the frost every morning in the winter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter kills fuel mileage