Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Wiper/washer operation?

Old 09-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper/washer operation?

I have a 2013 Audi Q5 and I don't understand how the wiper/washer system works :-/.

Everything worked fine until today, when "wash front glass" aka pulling back on the stalk no longer works. The front wiper doesn't move, the front washer doesn't work, but the rear wiper does.

Otherwise, the front wiper system works when I rotate the stalk.

The "wash rear glass" aka pushing all the way forward on the stalk works just fine.

Do you guys have any idea of what went wrong?

I vaguely recall having the same problem a while ago and I can't remember what I did to fix it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Old 09-09-2015, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I assume you turned the car off briefly and retried. If still doesn't work probably the stalk or the front pump. You are under warranty right?
Old 09-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I assume you turned the car off briefly and retried. If still doesn't work probably the stalk or the front pump. You are under warranty right?
Hi Dennis, yes I did try turning the car off and then restarting a few mins later. Also tried topping up the washer fluid reservoir.

Sounds like I'm going to have to go in for servicing :-(.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

My 2011 starting doing similar misbehavior. I find that when it does this if I work all positions of the wiper stalk it behaves fine again for a while. I did a VCDS scan the first time I noticed this and there was an error intermittent signal. You do not have to clear any codes to get it to work normal again on mine. I suspect a bad or weak ground or connection inside the part itself on mine.
If you are still under warranty go to a dealer, if not:
The entire part changes out as a unit (All stalks) The part is around $400.00 discounted online. With dealer prices for this part and the fact that the wheel (airbag) needs to come off and back on, I would suspect a hefty bill at a dealer.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Rotate the stalk?
Perhaps this is why the stalk on the 2014 goes up and down instead of rotating. If they do a warranty replacement (which would seem reasonable) perhaps the newer part would fit as well?
Old 09-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
My 2011 starting doing similar misbehavior. I find that when it does this if I work all positions of the wiper stalk it behaves fine again for a while. I did a VCDS scan the first time I noticed this and there was an error intermittent signal. You do not have to clear any codes to get it to work normal again on mine. I suspect a bad or weak ground or connection inside the part itself on mine.
If you are still under warranty go to a dealer, if not:
The entire part changes out as a unit (All stalks) The part is around $400.00 discounted online. With dealer prices for this part and the fact that the wheel (airbag) needs to come off and back on, I would suspect a hefty bill at a dealer.
This is a lot of good info, thanks! I believe it is still under warranty so I'll be taking it to the dealer. I will post here again once it's all figured out.

It is a bummer to hear you had a similar problem.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quick update.

The problem had occurred during a very warm and muggy period in Boston. Last weekend temperature cooled down and humidity went away -- as did the problem! I'm thinking rdA4WtQ5 is correct, it's a weak grounding issue between the stalk and the motor/control of the front wiper/washer.

Will update again when Audi Natick takes a look on Thursday.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Final update. Brought the car to Audi Natick and told them the problem, including the system working when it's cold outside but not when it's warm. Also asked them to do the 55k service.

Received call the following day which I missed because I was busy, they left message that it was done, but no detail as to exactly what was what. I was too busy to call back so I just drove to the dealer. They said they couldn't reproduce the problem but that they'll try it again just to make sure. Of course, by then it was warmer in the afternoon so it didn't work. Back to the courtesy car I went.

In the end they replaced the entire control system, everything was covered under CPO warranty.