Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 SQ5 another article!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Great, that means US prices should be available soon. I'm still wondering where all the production is going from the last 3 months...Germany? They were building in Sept. and expected to be at full capacity by yr end.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My best guess is Germany and EU markets. I was just at the Audi Germany website to check out the SQ5 configurator. It is not up yet but the gallery has photos of a green SQ5. I assume this is the Azores Green. Looking good!
Old 01-13-2017, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here's a detailed look on the new SQ5 at the NAIS by Thomas of Autogefuhl.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Ron.S;24906725]
Originally Posted by Jdntea
Ugh. The interior is so good looking but the fake closed-off plastic quad exhaust is very tacky and a major buzzkill.

Don't give up on this.....here's a quote from the Q5 press release:

Like its counterpart at the front, the rear bumper differs according to the equipment line. In the lower area, it integrates the two tailpipe trims of the exhaust system, which are shaped as low-profile trapezoids. In the S line exterior package, they are joined to one another by a trim piece in aluminum look, and there is an insert with a honeycomb screen.
Edit: Here's the link I posted in another thread.
https://audimediacenter-a.akamaihd.n...ion=attachment

so what's the consensus, you guys optimistic on real exhaust? I don't quite understand the honeycomb thing "screen".
Old 01-23-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the Audi Germany Page I made this SQ5 Configuration as I want mine once it is released in mexico

Old 01-23-2017, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=sass0;24912155]
Originally Posted by Ron.S

so what's the consensus, you guys optimistic on real exhaust? I don't quite understand the honeycomb thing "screen".
I doubt there will be a real exhaust. What we saw on the show car is likely what we'll get on the production car. A real exhaust outlet on bumper-integrated exhaust tips would just add to production costs and reduce reliability versus the more simplified setup they currently have on the new Q5 and SQ5 of the actual exhaust outlets pointed down into the ground. Both my '14 SQ5 and '14 RS7 have had warranty service with parts replacements on Audi's coin due to various rattles it developed at the exhaust outlets that I complained about. Apparently, I wasn't alone with such complaints according to my service advisor. Perhaps the aim of this new design decision was to reduce such unscheduled visits, and also reduce production costs. Makes a lot of sense. Yes, it sucks to have fake exhaust tips, especially on a performance model, but it's not a deal breaker in my book. They do still look good on the car and I'd rather have the fake exhaust tips on there than no visual cue of exhaust on the bumper at all.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=sass0;24912155]
Originally Posted by Ron.S

To my understanding, the honeycomb is the finish of the faux exhaust outlets. Instead of smooth plastic, it has a honeycomb style finish. The trim ring, instead of one large trapezoid, is just divided in between to simulate twin exhaust ports (see in post above).
Old 01-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thoughts on the virtual cockpit? who would lean towards having it? or not having it? torn on that as well. any input helps
Old 01-23-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sass0
thoughts on the virtual cockpit? who would lean towards having it? or not having it? torn on that as well. any input helps
My personal thoughts: It is a nice-to-have feature but not essential. If my budget allows it, I would get it. It will future-proof the car as this will be the up and coming norm for many future vehicles. If not, it is not a deal-breaker for me. The old analogue gauges/DIS display combo is still good enough for me.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sass0
Love the virtual cockpit! Already have it on the wife's Q7 and now I wish my RS7 had it. Virtual cockpit makes the center iPod-like display redundant and almost pointless. I love having the map on the virtual cockpit in my line of sight when driving stead of on the center display, and you can minimize the speedo/tach to show more map detail as needed. Virtual cockpit is probably one of the few little details that's keeping me loyal to the Audi brand recently. I've experienced similar fully-digital instrument panel displays from Range Rovers, Mercedes, and Volvo recently, but nobody does it as well as Audi's virtual cockpit. Definitely worth the extra cost.

Quick Reply: 2018 SQ5 another article!