Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2009 Q7 TDI failure

Old 09-23-2014, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Q7 TDI failure

New to this forum. My wife had her Q7 die on her while she was driving to work. She saw some curvy yellow indicator, the steering locked up and the engine died. Initially, I wasn't too concerned until I brought it in to our repair shop and our mechanic said it's likely the entire fuel system needs to be replaced. Minimum 10k repairs. Bought the car in January. Currently has 68k miles. Just had its regular service in July. Needless to say, I was shocked that something this catastrophic could happen.

Waiting to hear more from the mechanic, but in the mean time I did some research and came across this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...7-tdi-2857057/

Seems like the exact same scenario. The kicker is we had a bumper to bumper extended warranty that literally expired several weeks ago. Any hope out there that Audi will take care of this? Starting to panic. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

thankfully you saved all that money on fuel so you can now put it towards this repair...

she most likely saw this indicator:

could be high pressure fuel pump... could be a few different things... need to pull codes to properly diagnose.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

You may want to have Audi look at it. After checking out the post you linked, in that case Audi stood behind a 2009 TDI with 125k miles on it. Since that is about double your mileage hopefully they stand behind yours. $10,000-$13,000 is not a cheap fix.

Although this issue has supposed to have been fixed in newer models it still scares the cr@p out of me. I've got a 2014 Q5 TDI and I can't help but to think about buying the extended warranty despite hating extended warranties(since 9 times out of 10 they're useless). Has anyone suffered from this issue is newer models or is it safe to say it has been completely resolved by Audi?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by - B -
Has anyone suffered from this issue is newer models or is it safe to say it has been completely resolved by Audi?

read over on TDICLUB about these failures. It's become almost "common" on the 4 cyl diesels. Repair is very costly and generally blamed on USA's poor fuel or water contamination or gasoline contamination.

I have heard of only one or two failures with the V6 diesel. I suspect that's because there are so few of them in the USA. And the V6's injection design is different and that might be benefiting it.

VW has been blaming the customer and leaving new owners with $10k repair bills. They (owners) filed compliants with NHTSA and there are many records of these incidents. VW has stepped up and is now repairing most cars, even when out of warranty. (I think the VW warranty may have dropped to 3yrs.)
Old 10-06-2014, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update on our Q7:

Took it to Audi and had them look at it. Definitely was the high pressure fuel pump that failed and it took out the entire fuel system. Good news is that in spite of having our extended warranty expire, Audi took care of everything. Pretty amazing to see pages of itemized repairs with $0.00 due. Now the car seems to be running like it never happened. Really hoping this won't be an issue now that we have a brand new fuel system.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Bibby, are you able to say what the repair bill would have been assuming you paid out of pocket?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default According to an Audi master tech friend of mine...

About $18 K in labor and parts. Audi wants people to buy into their diesel technology, so they're covering this sort of thing to avoid bad PR. Good idea Audi
Old 10-07-2014, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

very good idea since they completely ignored the carbon build-up issue on their fsi engines and subsequently blamed the consumer and the US fuel markets. definitely not a design flaw.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by surferdude
About $18 K in labor and parts. Audi wants people to buy into their diesel technology, so they're covering this sort of thing to avoid bad PR. Good idea Audi
Wow! That's a lot.... I'm glad to hear it worked out for you and that Audi stood behind it, even out of warranty....

Considering the cost of that issue, and the fact that this issue, although rare, is still occasional, the new HPFP's engineering must have resolved this issue, otherwise Audi would be hemorrhaging money with this sort of issue....especially since diesels are really everywhere in mass except America....
Old 10-08-2014, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

BMW X5d is chock full of issues... from what I have read many owners regret purchasing it. I can only assume at this point Audi is trying to avoid that scenario as stated above and push this technology further into the USDM Automotive landscape.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Q7 TDI failure