Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2010 Q7 Spliced trailer wiring giving bulb errors....help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I seem to have fixed it....

Turns out one of the bulbs in the right rear bumper that acts as the rear brake, signal and tail light had burnt out. I never ever thought to look there and check them, it was only when taking groceries out of the car late at night I noticed it was out when the hatch was up. All the stupid warnings and bells and whistles and the damn thing doesn't tell you what bulb is toasted.

I replaced the bulb and now its all good.

So I'm puzzled as to whether this was a very timely bulb failure that occurred that morning I hooked up the boat trailer for the first time....or if that wiring caused an issue in the circuit?

Either way, the warning is gone, but unfortunately I've removed all my wires and fall is upon us now so I won't be needing it till spring. I'll be revisiting this again in the spring.

I'm still shaking my head that it was actually a bulb out...the timing of which was crazy.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Make sure you don't connect/disconnect the trailer connector with the vehicle lights on. I've had it blow fuses on my A6q with similarly wired trailer lighting. It could be possible to cause other issues if you do.

Last edited by cuatrokoop; 09-13-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shauno
Ok, so ya I know, shouldn't have done that but I did....

I spliced into the LED tail light wires for the lights located in the rear hatch on my 2010 Q7, ran wires down to the passenger side fuse location and installed a powered Curt Trailer wire package at the same time I installed my Curt receiver hitch.

It was a last minute job, for along distance drive with the boat trailer (outfitted with LED lighting). I drove over 11hrs with the set up and the lights worked flawlessly besides the error I got immediately into the trip. The LED lights on the boat trailer worked great and the lights on the rear lid still work.....BUT, and the big BUT is....I am getting an error on the dash for the right rear light, right rear brake light and right rear turn signal (funny enough no errors for the left).

When I signal right the signal indicator on the dash flashes fast. However the right rear light works just fine, lights up, brake lights work and signal light flashes at normal speed from the exterior.

I've since completely removed all my spliced connections to the tail lights to try and get this to go away, but it isn't. I can't visually see anything wrong, and everything appears to be working well. I've unplugged the tail light and the control module and plugged them back in, but I still get this warning.

I'm wishing two things...that I had never done this, and that I had a wiring diagram for the tail lights!

Hoping someone may be able to offer some insight? Could I have roasted something? All the fuses I checked in the rear hatch are still good. No wires look burnt or damaged (beyond the splice)

Why would I get a warning for one tail light but not the other when I spliced into both?

Does anyone have a tail light wiring diagram?

I'm thinking that in the end, this is going to end up costing me more $$ then if I had just done it the Audi way to begin with!!!!

I do plan, and promise, to post a resolution as I can't live with 3 warning beeps everytime I start the car and super fast turn signal.

Any help is appreciated.
im trying to Find the turn signal wire colors on a 2009 Audi Q7 need to connect sequencial led to the front bumper signals.

wont work if connected directly to the turn signal light on each side as it always has power.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

How are you getting along w tapping/splicing ? I feel only way is splice in turning signal wires. One can't go any upstream of that, as the Q7 runs a complex freq signal style to trigger the lights. Canbus. Hence no distinct bulb lights that have a line of their own. The power comes from a circuit with no other side tappings.

Originally Posted by augiecorrea
im trying to Find the turn signal wire colors on a 2009 Audi Q7 need to connect sequencial led to the front bumper signals.

wont work if connected directly to the turn signal light on each side as it always has power.