Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2010 Q7 Tdi - Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Q7 Tdi - Coolant Leak

I just found out that my Q7 with 10k miles on it has a major coolant leak. The tech at livermore audi has informed me that they are unable to diagnose the source, and may have to take the engine out. As you can imagine I am bracing myself for what's to come. Very disappointed that this happening on a car that is virtually new. Will keep you posted when I find out more. Please let me know if others have had similar problems.

2010 Q7 Tdi Presitge, Sports Pkg

Thanks
Asim
Old 08-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Funny how when you follow most of these threads you keep seeing the same old problem mentioned again and again and again... the techs can't diagnose the problem.

Having experienced this myself through my own local Audi dealership (I could write a book on them) I'm beginning to wonder if any Audi techs can do anything other than operate a diagnostic computer program because if it doesn't show up on screen or on a TSB they don't seem to have a clue where to start looking... or am I being harsh?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by adriangroom
I'm beginning to wonder if any Audi techs can do anything other than operate a diagnostic computer program because if it doesn't show up on screen or on a TSB they don't seem to have a clue where to start looking... or am I being harsh?
Not only true for Audi. Practical trouble diagnosis without the computer is pretty much a lost are - especially in dealers' service departments. The really good truly mechanics are usually in business for themselves.

I try to stay away from dealers' service departments for that reason and to do as much of the work as I can myself. For that which I can't, I have a trusted independent MB mechanic, and am still looking around for one for the Q7.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by b6s4eastbay
I just found out that my Q7 with 10k miles on it has a major coolant leak.

Thanks
Asim
Is it running out on the ground, or is the level just dropping with no external leakage?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2010 Q7 Tdi - Coolant Leak

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
Is it running out on the ground, or is the level just dropping with no external leakage?
Just head from the dealership, the water pump failed, evidently we the Q7 Tdi has the same water pump as the A6 and is known to have issues. Resolution = Replaced Water Pump.

If other 2010 Q7 Tdi owners have experienced similar issues, please ping me.

There was no external leakage - nothing visible. The pressure test indicated the leak was sourced to the water pump.

Atleast they gave me a 2010 Q7 Tdi loaner....

Thanks,
Asim
Old 08-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by b6s4eastbay
At least they gave me a 2010 Q7 Tdi loaner....
How come my dealership only give me a MB A class (motorised pram as I call it) or small VW that looks like it's had a couple of hippies living in it for the last week! Especially annoying as they're an Aston Martin and Bentley dealership also...
Old 08-10-2010, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by adriangroom
How come my dealership only give me a MB A class (motorised pram as I call it) or small VW that looks like it's had a couple of hippies living in it for the last week! Especially annoying as they're an Aston Martin and Bentley dealership also...
Maybe those other marques' owners are getting the first choice.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My 2010 Q7 also had this problem

This film of my Q7 was shot 2 months ago.

Every 2 weeks, coolant needs to be refilled again.

After checking by local service team with a handy coolant detecting machine, they finally found the problem.

As you can see in the film, bubble was coming out from leaking pipe.

After replacing the pipe, coolant never leaks since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6WDrKM8vyA
Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah... I'm just jealous. I wouldn't be so narked about my Q7 ever going into the stealers workshop if they lent me an Aston Vantage or Bentley Continental for the week!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 AM
FFN
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Service Bulletin

When in for my first service @5000 miles in May, Audi performed two services that were required by Audi, one was replacement of the coolent pump and the other sounded similar. They detected a leak during service that I had not noticed and told me there was a service bulletin for both issues.

Quick Reply: 2010 Q7 Tdi - Coolant Leak