Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2010 Q7 vs 2007 Q7, what are the differences...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Q7 vs 2007 Q7, what are the differences...

...question really for Justforfun or anyone else who can assist. Our 07 Q7 3.0TDi is coming up to the 3 year old point in May 2010. IF I place a replacement order now I can have the new car by then.

We have done 34k miles on our Q7 and it has been faultless...am not convinced to replace it as there is nothing wrong with it...the wife uses it 100% now. So I will consider extending the Audi warranty for another year instead unless there is that much of a difference compared to a 2010 model. We are not swayed by LED DRL or 'smoother' buttons as improvements thus reason to upgrade. Visually, both an '07 and a '10 look almost identical to me...am I missing something here?

Does anyone know if there will be an all new model within the next 24mths - in which case we will wait - or is the current facelift likely to be the only change for a 'few' years yet? Audi really got the design and function spot on first time round and it seems there is not much they plan for now.

We will go for a 3.0TDi again...thought about the 4.2TDi however we simply do not need the extra power.

Any comments will be much appreciated.

Thx

Last edited by 996CAB; 11-18-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_4823.shtml

But if your current Q7 has been flawless and you are able to extend the warranty by another 3-4 years, it'll definitely be worth keeping and possibly wait until the next all-new model in 2013(?). Indeed the improvements are mainly aesthetics and you have already identified that these are not push factors for you to get into a facelift Q7.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default on second thoughts keep it! No help? ramblings inside;-)

Apart from the minor cosmetic changes and LEDs the biggest difference you will notice is the extra power even at 7BHP and 50MN torque, the acceleration .5 sec faster to 60. Not enough to impress but you can feel the difference, the real goodie is the improvement in consumption. An extra 2.5 miles squeezed out of each IMP gal builds up.
Unknown to most Q7 owners is that Audi have had problems with the electronics governing the gearbox or its control anyway. They are seriously expensive to replace and that is the only cure. Cant swear anything either way but newer electronics are better in general.
I think really for you the pain is weighing up whether you will actually gain anything by keeping your beauty for another three years. To others it will look quite dated at six years old. There is one more model upgrade coming before they axe the Q7 (under current thinking) so 2012 or 2013 plus about 5 years is probabaly a good guess.
How much is 2 years of warranty worth? Can you do a better deal now than any other time? Certainly the dealers will want to talk to you now more than ever and 3 years is optimal in their book.
I kept a car for nine years because I didnt like the newer models. In the end the cost to change once was exactly the same as if I had three times but I went without warranty for longer.
I guess in short, pretend you are going to change and feel it out.

I cant afford to change mine thanks to an Irish bank share scam/scandal/fix/collapse or yes I would... 4.2 TDI S-Line Mugello Verano and collect in Ingolstdat. That said, I am perfectly happy with mine:-)
Old 11-18-2009, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Redesign is due in 2013 or so the legend goes.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thx Justforfun...

I finally managed to convince the wife to get shot of her Mercs B-Class (apologise for swearing!!!) and she is now using the Q7...and she now loves driving it...has taken me over 2 years to get her converted to Audi from Mercs...atleast I won in the end...and that is all that matters!!!

I will extend the warranty for another 12 mths and then change the car after that. The car is just lovely and simply not worth changing for now as it has been faultless to date.

Can you explain your comments below?

"Unknown to most Q7 owners is that Audi have had problems with the electronics governing the gearbox or its control anyway. They are seriously expensive to replace and that is the only cure. Cant swear anything either way but newer electronics are better in general."
Old 11-18-2009, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably should not have mentioned yet as I was originally waiting for some cases to crop up here to confirm.
My friend had "as far as I know" control unit J217 fail on his car. The service dept told him it is a known and common fault. I had never heard of it but googled anyway and found a few results. It may be a case of change it and see but it cost him a bunch. It was not fully resolved the last time we spoke.
I will be seeing him in the next couple of days so I will report back. They made further comments in relation to it but I would prefer verify the whole story and then come back.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Probably should not have mentioned yet as I was originally waiting for some cases to crop up here to confirm.
My friend had "as far as I know" control unit J217 fail on his car. The service dept told him it is a known and common fault. I had never heard of it but googled anyway and found a few results. It may be a case of change it and see but it cost him a bunch. It was not fully resolved the last time we spoke.
I will be seeing him in the next couple of days so I will report back. They made further comments in relation to it but I would prefer verify the whole story and then come back.
Ok, I know you will let us all know if there is an issue.

How is your Q7, still loving it? It seems everyone has got one now. I see 5 a day...not as common as M-Class; X5; Cayenne or Tourag...however it is getting common...I wonder when Lambo or Bentley SUV is due...might be time to switch...if the price is 'fair'...LOL