Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2012 Q7 Control unit for trailer, part# 4E0907383J

Old 03-20-2014, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to get everything installed last night with success. I'm picking up the camper today and I'll see how it goes.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ken Haubner
I was able to get everything installed last night with success. I'm picking up the camper today and I'll see how it goes.
sweet! What type of camper do you have? I would recommend a wifi camera to see in back of you also. I'm using one from 4ucam.

Would also love you see where you mounted the brake controller. Haven't decided where to mount yet.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Poncherelly
sweet! Would also love you see where you mounted the brake controller. Haven't decided where to mount yet.
Here it was on my 2010 Q7.
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's a StarCraft 13RT off-road popup. I thought about the camera, but haven't gone any further than that. I saw talk in one of the forums that the 'backup' camera should be available when towing a trailer. I'm sure the fix is coming down the pipe.

I'll get a picture to show the location. For the EBC mounting, I used heavy duty Velcro in lieu of mounting with screws. My wife didn't care to make holes in 'her' vehicle for the mounting location. Plus, it's easier to remove and stow the mounting bracket and unit when not in use.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I put mine on the right side, but same horizontal level. Must be my dominant side. I didn't need to buy the wires to reach the Audi side connector; the wires from the unit and Audi side connector did reach each other. Though, I did buy the connector referenced in the pdf and used the male pins from my tool chest for the connector.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the camera enabled with the trailer attached.

When I installed the tow bar, I didn't follow the entire list of changes to allow it to stay working as well as side assist and the reversing sensors - they are a bit of a nuisance but I did not want to lose the camera and I didn't have time to go through and sift out what I could change to disable those but leave the camera active.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'll look into this. I probably won't be able to get to it before we head out on the road tomorrow. Would be nice if Audi would provide an update to do the things you described. In today's modern, technologically advanced world, seems it wouldn't be too difficult to do.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ken Haubner
It's a StarCraft 13RT off-road popup. I thought about the camera, but haven't gone any further than that. I saw talk in one of the forums that the 'backup' camera should be available when towing a trailer. I'm sure the fix is coming down the pipe.

I'll get a picture to show the location. For the EBC mounting, I used heavy duty Velcro in lieu of mounting with screws. My wife didn't care to make holes in 'her' vehicle for the mounting location. Plus, it's easier to remove and stow the mounting bracket and unit when not in use.
For my Q5 I mounted it in the ask tray (made it removable when not in use and with the ash tray reinserted, you coulnt' tell. I dont really want to do that again though. I too like your wife don't like the idea of screwing through the pannel of my new car.

I'm thinking about making a bracket that will allow for the break controller to slide on and off, and when off (disconnected) would have a minimal foot print.

As for the back up cam, my stock rear view cam still works showing me the trailer connected to my Q, but I bought the rearview cam from 4UCam to mount on the bakc of my travel trailer allowing me to use it as my rearview mirror so to speak. I don't know about the Q7, but the Q5 mirrors didn't stick out far enough and there was no real options for extentending them with add ons. with the 4UCam, I can (will) see the traffic in back of my trailer for safe lane changes and also allow me to back up in a camp spot without backing in to a tree or a kids bike .
Old 03-26-2014, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

This connector?

Amazon.com: Pollak 11-893P 7-Way Sealed RV OEM Socket: Automotive Amazon.com: Pollak 11-893P 7-Way Sealed RV OEM Socket: Automotive

I just got it last night, put it in tonight in our (new to us) '07 4.2 Premium.